Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Add Widescreen mode option to normal play.
(11-25-2016, 09:51 AM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote:
(11-24-2016, 11:46 PM)grumpchkin Wrote: Sometimes that's what happens, people get screwed by stuff because more people benefit from it than people who don't.

(11-24-2016, 12:53 PM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote: People with faster internet have an advantage. Block all internet connections that aren't dial up, tia

A better connection isnt as advantageous as being able to see and shoot someone who cant see or shoot you back, especially with the clickbuffer and the game's tendency to turn even the fastest connection into a 56k line.
Look, there's no harm in having a poll over how many would be able to benefit from widescreen, just because a few people use Gameboy displays for spessmen doesn't mean everyone should be held back.
isnt the game screen fundamentally non-widescreen due to the chatbox and commands tab thingies taking up the other part of the screen
(11-25-2016, 04:14 PM)grumpchkin Wrote: Look, there's no harm in having a poll over how many would be able to benefit from widescreen, just because a few people use Gameboy displays for spessmen doesn't mean everyone should be held back.

no! we should let the small minority hold back the majority!
(11-25-2016, 06:48 AM)Wire Wrote: i know ss13 players are technical luddites but who doesn't have a widescreen monitor in the year of our lord 2016 lmao

(11-25-2016, 04:14 PM)grumpchkin Wrote: Look, there's no harm in having a poll over how many would be able to benefit from widescreen, just because a few people use Gameboy displays for spessmen doesn't mean everyone should be held back.

Agreed. It's kinda hard to believe that most of the players here don't have a widescreen monitor already. Like I said before it's not about if this change happens it's when.
Guess I'll run it squished? Provided there wouldn't be a 1:1 option, that is.

Yeah, I'm on a widescreen, but I'd rather have the larger chatbox. For me it's a moot point since I basically just kill myself at round start to chat with the dead and haunt peeps, so eh.
(11-24-2016, 11:26 AM)Wire Wrote: If widescreen were to be more of a "thing" I might insist that I futz with the UI again.

Overlaid chat when.

Let's talk about this aspect
Tiles beyond -X- from player could be blackened with an overlay or something to balance it out so that players without widescreen aren't at a disadvantage.

Also, since when did having the greatest advantage matter to this extent? There are many ways to gain "advantage" over other players as it is, few of those that exist also do something nice like what widescreen does.
I usually use the side of my wide screen to keep things like PDA windows, notepad with copy-paste things and utility programs.

But here is a thought on balance: what if the wide screen options shows the same number of tiles, but has a different aspect ratio? Instead of 11x11, make it 9x13?
(11-26-2016, 12:25 PM)Boa Jacque Wrote: Tiles beyond -X- from player could be blackened with an overlay or something to balance it out so that players without widescreen aren't at a disadvantage.

Also, since when did having the greatest advantage matter to this extent? There are many ways to gain "advantage" over other players as it is, few of those that exist also do something nice like what widescreen does.

So you want to take something thats aimed at making the game look nicer and put big ugly black on it?
(11-26-2016, 05:30 PM)Ultimate Shrek Fan Wrote:
(11-26-2016, 12:25 PM)Boa Jacque Wrote: Tiles beyond -X- from player could be blackened with an overlay or something to balance it out so that players without widescreen aren't at a disadvantage.

So you want to take something thats aimed at making the game look nicer and put big ugly black on it?

That's how it is currently with widescreen mode turned off. You can't see things your avatar can't. That's what everyone who said "Surely this can be restricted" and "Adding overlays could fix people's worries" meant. It would still look great as when I tested widescreen mode for normal play months ago the first thing I noticed and was the most happy about was that all the sprites and icons were no longer squished. Which made the game look better. Tiles beyond -X- from player vision being blacked out is what will most likely happen when changes get made cause that's how the game is now with the normal mode. People did not want widescreen mode just to have wall hacks they wanted it so the game would look better on their TV or Widescreen monitor that almost everyone these days has.

When I said earlier in this thread that alot of changes would most likely have to be made I meant that the Tiles beyond -X- from player vision being blacked out would have to be added and wire already said the Chat UI would have to get changed. It's going to be a while, but it's a change I believe will happen sooner or later in Goonstation's lifetime.
(11-25-2016, 08:17 AM)Crazyabe Wrote: A Possible Suggestion is that it Could be made into a Genetic Power.

Here's the solution
(11-27-2016, 04:09 PM)New525 Wrote:
(11-25-2016, 08:17 AM)Crazyabe Wrote: A Possible Suggestion is that it Could be made into a Genetic Power.

Here's the solution

Alternatively widescreen could be normal and non-widescreen could be a negative trait.

Here's the solution

gating it behind something like that sounds like a terrible idea

Here's the solution

That's really stupid for pretty obvious reasons.