Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
bring back the on-station nuclear charge
Wait so research was on a satellite before? neat
it was neat, but dividing departments that drastically was eventually agreed to be not conducive to enjoyable play. it also made it a bitch for security to respond to any calls for help from there
The usual state of Reserach/Zeta by 15 minutes in a round varied between "Covered in clown clothes/gibs smeared with poo and spacelube" and "gone" due to nuclear charges.

So that being said i propose the research outpost that gets blown up anyway deserves a nuclear charge in case something horrible appears there. With appropriate lockdown measures that will stop anyone from getting in or out once it is started and is a pain to cancel
Putting it on the cog2 research outpost would be nice it would maybe allow people to also create awsome tele traps where the people have to work together to disarm it
A nuke charge in the research outpost would also discourage smartass blob players from spawning in there.
I have never seen that happen why would they spawn there?
(11-20-2016, 11:02 PM)somepotato Wrote: not a terrible idea if the method to authorize said nuke isn't as easy as doing it in 60 seconds from tech storage

Stick the nuke charge in the armory on it's own wire network, if it's going to be on the station.

Then if someone wants to bomb it they need to bust into the armory, arm it from there, or wire the nuke to the rest of the station network without anyone noticing, a tall order given that the AI is a snitch. Unless someone just subverts the AI, or builds their own AI mainframe in the armory wired into the nuke and gives that AI the commands to nuke the station.

Also I imagine Blobs would spawn at research because it's far away enough that most people wouldn't be able to kill the blob, but getting access to the nuke would let them bomb the blob safely.
yeah but no one is ever at the research outpost and how are they going to get to the main station from there?
(11-21-2016, 05:14 PM)atomic1fire Wrote:
(11-20-2016, 11:02 PM)somepotato Wrote: not a terrible idea if the method to authorize said nuke isn't as easy as doing it in 60 seconds from tech storage

Stick the nuke charge in the armory on it's own wire network, if it's going to be on the station.

Then if someone wants to bomb it they need to bust into the armory, arm it from there, or wire the nuke to the rest of the station network without anyone noticing, a tall order given that the AI is a snitch. Unless someone just subverts the AI, or builds their own AI mainframe in the armory wired into the nuke and gives that AI the commands to nuke the station.

Also I imagine Blobs would spawn at research because it's far away enough that most people wouldn't be able to kill the blob, but getting access to the nuke would let them bomb the blob safely.

this sounds like a great idea
I was one of the people with the expertise to set it off within a minute of round start. This wouldn't be a good idea at all.

I would support having a disarmed nuke on-station with the warhead in a secure lockup, which has to be broken into first and physically fitted on the nuke.
(11-23-2016, 10:29 AM)Marquesas Wrote: I was one of the people with the expertise to set it off within a minute of round start. This wouldn't be a good idea at all.

I would support having a disarmed nuke on-station with the warhead in a secure lockup, which has to be broken into first and physically fitted on the nuke.

Maybe you could make stealing the warhead from the armory an actual traitor objective, so people have a reason to steal it but not immediately bomb the crew. 

Plus maybe the RD could have the rest of the nuke as a display piece, because it sounds funny.
(11-23-2016, 12:24 PM)atomic1fire Wrote:
(11-23-2016, 10:29 AM)Marquesas Wrote: I was one of the people with the expertise to set it off within a minute of round start. This wouldn't be a good idea at all.

Maybe you could make stealing the warhead from the armory an actual traitor objective, so people have a reason to steal it but not immediately bomb the crew. 

Plus maybe the RD could have the rest of the nuke as a display piece, because it sounds funny.

Have the different nuke pieces be on display in different, secure spots throughout the station. (I'd say head's offices, but no one ever is ever in them, making theft trivial.)

Then again, there's still nothing here to stop people from just going ham with something like telesci and assembling the nuke within 5 minutes into the round. Better than within 2 minutes, but still bad.

Maybe shove the critical pieces deep into telesci areas, in locations that are virtually impossible to reach without teamwork? This prevents (mostly) one lone turbo-nerd from somehow shitting together the nuke by the 15 minute mark, as they'd have to recruit someone to help them. Even with mindslave implants, recruiting someone who can actually help can be difficult to do, and even if recruitment is successful, it likely slows the process down dramatically.
(11-23-2016, 01:48 PM)Mageziya Wrote:
(11-23-2016, 12:24 PM)atomic1fire Wrote:

Have the different nuke pieces be on display in different, secure spots throughout the station. (I'd say head's offices, but no one ever is ever in them, making theft trivial.)

Then again, there's still nothing here to stop people from just going ham with something like telesci and assembling the nuke within 5 minutes into the round. Better than within 2 minutes, but still bad.

Maybe shove the critical pieces deep into telesci areas, in locations that are virtually impossible to reach without teamwork? This prevents (mostly) one lone turbo-nerd from somehow shitting together the nuke by the 15 minute mark, as they'd have to recruit someone to help them. Even with mindslave implants, recruiting someone who can actually help can be difficult to do, and even if recruitment is successful, it likely slows the process down dramatically.

Inb4 people assemble the nuke to blow the sun up.
well that settles it then we need to bring the nuke back to blow up the sun it's the only way

just make it like the syndicate nuke and give it an 8 minute timer with all the warnings involved, that's more than enough time to destroy it just like their nuke
I'd say put them in head offices, and introduce a mobile particle trap that is a deployable object, which - while deployed and turned on - emits a distinctive blue light, shows an easily noticable animation, and prevents the removal of objects from that tile. It would also be a teleport jammer effect for that tile, and it's also dense and anchored, so it could double as a blockade barrier. Unless emagged, it would not turn on while a mob is on the same tile and even when emagged, it would take several seconds to start up, so it's not an easy way to trap someone; but it cannot be shut off from the inside.

Switching the particle trap would require a card swipe from an ID card with bridge access (thus, a head card).

And then there would be six pieces of the nuke (including the body itself), each of which starts off in a head's office with the jammer activated.