Poll: remove asperger's joke items?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes, remove them
26.63%
45 26.63%
no, leave them in
73.37%
124 73.37%
Total 169 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
should we remove asperger's jokes y/n
this thread sure is great
It seems like the only people offended by these jokes are people who have no reason to be.

The only thing I would say is that the descriptions could be changed, since right now they're kind of strange? They're supposed to reference the disorder, but it's also trying not to be offensive, resulting in milquetoast and uninteresting descriptions.

Like someone else said, making them jokes about the items themselves (Assburger, the burger with four buns!) might be an idea.

For the sake of being useful:
Assburger, the burger with four buns!
An asspie. Eating ass never tasted so good.
Sperghettaboutit!
I'm actually surprised none of the ass- food items have "It probably tastes like shit" as their descriptions.

I mean, it's the obvious joke but it's also the necessary one.
(11-10-2016, 01:44 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I'm not so worried about buttpies or buttburgers honestly. I'm more worried about that slippery slope. How far do we go to protect people that aren't really insulted anyways? Get rid of all religious symbols? Remove all stereotypes like accents or genetic disorders? Force everybody to use gender neutral pronouns?

This is what concerns me the most.  The game is going to be very unenjoyable if we feel like we constantly have to make sure we don't say the wrong thing.  Banning racial slurs is pretty straight forward, but it gets more difficult when you ban terms that apply to more and more specific groups.

p.s.
I always thought sperghetti was referencing some meme from like 2006.
(11-10-2016, 02:37 PM)Scrumpys Wrote:
(11-10-2016, 01:44 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I'm not so worried about buttpies or buttburgers honestly. I'm more worried about that slippery slope. How far do we go to protect people that aren't really insulted anyways? Get rid of all religious symbols? Remove all stereotypes like accents or genetic disorders? Force everybody to use gender neutral pronouns?

This is what concerns me the most.  The game is going to be very unenjoyable if we feel like we constantly have to make sure we don't say the wrong thing.  Banning racial slurs is pretty straight forward, but it gets more difficult when you ban terms that apply to more and more specific groups.

p.s.
I always thought sperghetti was referencing some meme from like 2006.

ditto. as said, i can understand and agree that racial slurs and the sort are not really good things to talk about, but you can only babyproof things so much that it turns into the poptropica word filter. im all for this game being enjoyable and not offensive, but you can only go a certian limit where you realize that on the internet, people will ALWAYS be mad about a certain topic, always.

if you disagree please feel free to yell back at me
(11-10-2016, 04:42 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I wanna say, though I am voting for the removal, I agree that it's really not that bad, or that anyone is a bad person or anything for not being bothered by it.

I'm more just arguing for a consistent hand across these things.

Beep Boop, my feelings as well. Would an admin ban (or yell at someone) for making jokes about Aspergers? If the answer is yes, jokes about it shouldn't be a part of the game, 'cause then you'd have one hell of a double standard.
my IRC ban appeal sparked a 5-page debate
i'm pretty proud of myself

anyway
there's a difference
"nigger" has hundreds of years of dark terrible history backing it up and race jokes in the context of ss13 aren't funny and can be plain annoying, whereas "sperg" is a relatively recent and harmless thing that can be funny and people don't seem to really mind

ban it if you want i don't care but i think it's ultimately silly
Whoa, we're not talking about banning people for saying sperg. We're talking about removing references to it from within the game itself. I think there's a big distinction between what individual players do and what's built into the game itself. The latter creates a precedent of server approved jokes of that nature.

If someone in the future were to make an autism joke that was more offensive, having these references ingame gives them ammunition for it's permissibility. The slippery slope argument goes both ways
(11-10-2016, 03:57 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Whoa, we're not talking about banning people for saying sperg. We're talking about removing references to it from within the game itself. I think there's a big distinction between what individual players do and what's built into the game itself. The latter creates a precedent of server approved jokes of that nature.

If someone in the future were to make an autism joke that was more offensive, having these references ingame gives them ammunition for it's permissibility. The slippery slope argument goes both ways

By removing sperg from the game, what's permissible changes, as you said.  Which means that sperg may become the more offensive autism joke you mentioned since autism jokes are not permissible at all at that point.
This is like how there used to be SS uniforms on the station.  But they got removed and Hitler jokes stopped being allowed.
I sincerely doubt anyone is suggesting a slippery slope slide into Tumblrland.
Maybe permissible isn't the word I should have used. Codified? What I mean is, how can an admin rightly tell someone where the line is and when it's been crossed when the server itself is straddling it?

I'd rather the letter of the rules be more clear but it's enforcement looser to interpretation
For serious right there in the original post i said that it wasn't necessarily going to be binding, it's not like at some point in the future we're going to tally the votes and go BEEP BOOP POLL SAID REMOVE IT, THE FACT THAT EVERYONE IN THE THREAD WHO HAD CONCERNS ACTUALLY AGREED THAT IT WAS COOL TO STAY IS IRRELEVANT

the main purpose of this thread, and what it seems to be accomplishing pretty well, is getting people talking about it! the question of 'is this ok?' was raised, i was like 'huh i don't actually know let's see what the dudes and ladies think' and here we are.

i am pleasantly surprised that people seem to be doing a pretty great job of being decent to each other about stuff they disagree on, thank you all for being excellent to each other, i love you all, please continue, this is a Good Conversation i my o
(11-10-2016, 01:44 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Well it's not like I don't see validity in the opposing viewpoints. Urs's notion of consistency being the most solid. It's logical. It's how it should be, I get that, but it's not how I want it. I'm actually standing opposed to logic; that's an odd feeling.

I want SS13 to be a little crude, somewhat rude, and maybe even the tiniest amount of lewd. I liked the hilarity clause. I like not having to worry too much about my word choices when I speak without the intent to do harm. We're all adult-ish here.

I just wanted to say that this made me feel like I understood something new. I guess I've just never really known the feeling you describe.
hello my friends. i was diagnosed with "features of aspergers syndrome" (vague diagnosis in my opinion but it was enough to get me some assistance in certain institutions) some years ago. ss13s aspergers jokes are generally low-key and non obtrusive. like what is there, the rarely cooked ass burger and ass pie foods? not a big deal
(11-10-2016, 01:44 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I want SS13 to be a little crude, somewhat rude, and maybe even the tiniest amount of lewd. I liked the hilarity clause. I like not having to worry too much about my word choices when I speak without the intent to do harm. We're all adult-ish here.

I don't mind ditching sperghetti. I honestly didn't notice it 'cause svede. I prefer asspie and assburger because it rolls off the tongue and, even if we change the names, they'll still be asspies and assburgers. The pun is built in. As for the description, well, you're technically eating ass so yeah, awkward is mild. Unless this is some new insult I didn't get when I was in school.

My argument is more that they're still terms that are frequently used as slurs, really. I have been hurt and have seen people hurt by people using those terms before.

I think we just have to accept that some things are going to bother us, but so long as the overwhelming majority isn't seriously hurt then it's okay. There's always going to be that one guy who is offended by everything, after all. This isn't the game for them.

Regardless of it being a slippery slope argument which you already mentioned...

Religious symbols are generally not used as harmful slurs. Harmful genetic disorders are already being removed(afaik), but they also don't directly use slurs disparaging what it's references.

For accents there is a difference between harmful stereotypes and non-harmful stereotypes, I think. The swedish accent is one of those, an 'engineer scotty' scottish accent would be another one I'd think.

Generally while I'm okay with the descriptions poking fun at Aspergers, the names are again used as a slur which makes it unacceptable IMO. Even changing 'ass' to 'butt' would remove the slur.