Poll: remove asperger's joke items?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes, remove them
26.63%
45 26.63%
no, leave them in
73.37%
124 73.37%
Total 169 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
should we remove asperger's jokes y/n
Exclamation 
Someone in an appeal thread raised a very excellent point: Despite our pretty good track record of removing homophobic / racist / sexist / etc.-ist stuff from the game, we've still got a few things that makes jokes about asperger's syndrome, specifically the sperghetti noodles, assburgers, and the asspie. should these stay in as '''''joaks''''' or should they be removed? let's chat, friends

edit to add: vote is not necessarily binding, voting is not required, offer not valid in wyoming, your mileage may vary, stunt performed by a trained professional in a closed environment, etc
I honestly didn't even connect any of those things together (British, so the terms aren't so common over there).

Just rename them to spaghetti, buttburgers, buttpie. Done.

EDIT: Should go without saying that "ableism" shouldn't be allowed in OOC/the IRC/Discord in the same way racism/sexism/etcism. isn't.
I was lead to believe this was going to discuss the offensive term "sperged out" ?

On the topic presented, these 'jokes' are harmless, and I don't see a problem with them.
yeah i'm not touching the phrase 'sperged out' with a barge pole, that's a separate discussion
"Ableism" is a terrible tumblr buzzword and I don't want it to become recognized as Officially A Thing.

Related to the items in question, no. These are harmless jokes (and pretty quality puns too, imo).
Aspie here. I think I'm supposed to bring that up because it's relevant to the discussion, or somethin'.

It took me two months to get the joke behind ass burgers but when I did I thought it was pretty funny.
I never noticed it with sperghetti or asspie though, but I like those too.

It's all in good fun, and it's mostly a play on words than anything derogatory.
I mean, if we had something like vaccines having a small chance to give some sort of in-game Asperger's I wouldn't mind that either, but I digress.

POST EDIT: If anything, considering those terms "ableist" is WAAAAAAAAAAY more offensive to me than a burger made of ass cheeks ever would be. It implies that someone with Asperger's is inherently disabled in some way or form, and... I dunno. That just sort of feels wrong to me.
I actually have Asperger's, and none of this ever really bothered me, though it does feel a little odd at times.

That said, I'm an odd exception who thinks that they've mostly overcome their problems and spends the vast majority of their time pretending that they don't have Asperger's.

Assburgers are great though.
(11-09-2016, 12:07 PM)NesMettaur Wrote: I mean, if we had something like vaccines having a small chance to give some sort of in-game Asperger's I wouldn't mind that either, but I digress.
Laugh Cackling Aloud With Gusto Laugh All Ears
That's great. I just had a belly laugh.

(11-09-2016, 12:11 PM)Mageziya Wrote: That said, I'm an odd exception who thinks that they've mostly overcome their problems and spends the vast majority of their time pretending that they don't have Asperger's.

smileYou can hi-five stuff nowsmile

Nice! I'm there myself. It's a fair chunk of hard work, but so very worth it.
(11-09-2016, 12:03 PM)Spy_Guy Wrote: "Ableism" is a terrible tumblr buzzword and I don't want it to become recognized as Officially A Thing.

Related to the items in question, no. These are harmless jokes (and pretty quality puns too, imo).

This is a poor argument. There are plenty of people who think those racist, sexist, and homophobic terma aren't offensive and funny but we don't let them use it because it's socially recognized as being rude, offensive, and in poor taste.

Ableism is a word that's existed for a few decades before tumblr and it's denizens got hold of it. That doesn't take away from the fact that this is exactly that: ableism.

I'm a hard "yes, remove it." It's an issue, just as people calling others "schizo" for acting out of the norm. Just because two people who have it aren't offended doesn't mean others won't be.

If someone really feels the need to tell someone they're being an idiot, there are plenty of adjectives (like "Trump Supporter") to use that don't degrade an entire group of people who had no choice over how they were born.

Here's a basic rule of thumb for stuff like this... picture yourself in a room full of people who reside in whatever category of persons you're describing with this term. If you think there's a good chance folks would be angered, annoyed, or upset (within reason) at you screaming out whatever explative... you probably shouldn't use it.
I'll also say "sperged out," as funny-sounding as it was (partly because it makes me think of Sperg from The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy) really shouldn't fly for the same reasons I hate throwing all this Asperger's stuff under the "ableist" umbrella.

Again, it implies something derogatory in that someone with Asperger's is inherently disabled. Though in this case it's intended as an insult instead of unintentionally one.
(11-09-2016, 12:07 PM)NesMettaur Wrote: ...
POST EDIT: If anything, considering those terms "ableist" is WAAAAAAAAAAY more offensive to me than a burger made of ass cheeks ever would be. It implies that someone with Asperger's is inherently disabled in some way or form, and... I dunno. That just sort of feels wrong to me.

The ENTIRE use of phrases like these is to poke fun at those with Asperger's! It's saying "hey you have Asperger's and that's why you did this action that is contrary to how I think people should behave."
This game is full of people who openly have aspergers, including myself, and I think that's why the jokes already in the game are just fine. If anything, we should add more.
(11-09-2016, 12:35 PM)atamusvaleo Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 12:07 PM)NesMettaur Wrote: ...

The ENTIRE use of phrases like these is to poke fun at those with Asperger's! It's saying "hey you have Asperger's and that's why you did this action that is contrary to how I think people should behave."
Again, assburgers and the like are just tongue-in-cheek puns that have no real implications on me as a person.

I'd rather not be considered disabled for the sake of having a label to make a joke objectively offensive.
Light hearted jokes about things like this are fine IMO, things like this are never intended to make fun of people with the diseases but to shine them in a silly light. Not everything has to be negative!
I say No.