Poll: remove asperger's joke items?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes, remove them
26.63%
45 26.63%
no, leave them in
73.37%
124 73.37%
Total 169 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
should we remove asperger's jokes y/n
I think some of the name jokes are fine but the awkwardness jokes in the descriptions seem a bit more directed. I dunno, if people don't care I don't really, an assburger is an ass-burger, an asspie is an ass-pie, keep those names

Also if people can laugh at themselves
Being entirely fair, eating ass cheeks on a bun is pretty awkward.

It's all fat and hairy, blech.
this isn't punching down humor, it's not trying to say that someone is bad cause they have a social disorder, it's nothing hateful. it's just a burger made out of a ass

when you make something sacred to the point where you arent even allowed to make jokes about it, then you're shutting down any type of conversation or discourse and preventing society from fuhusadufugdsunlbyuh. fuh fuh fuh.

all that being said, i dont actually know off hand what the items' descriptions are, so maybe those are mean spirited. this seems like more of the classic "other people could be offended so i must defend them cause they cant defend themselves"
I thought all of it was making fun of the self-diagnosing people making everyone who's actually afflicted look bad, I don't think the descriptions were jokes though off the top of my head.
I thought the ass-items were butt puns. Shows what I know. And that sperghetti was a doofy spelling.

I mostly object to 'sperging out' being used to describe throwing a fit or lashing out.
Here's the item names and descriptions for everyone to look at:

Code:
/obj/item/reagent_containers/food/snacks/burger/assburger
    name = "assburger"
    desc = "This burger gives off an air of awkwardness."
    icon_state = "assburger"

/obj/item/reagent_containers/food/snacks/pie/ass
    name = "asspie"
    desc = "Awkward."
    icon_state = "asspie"

/obj/item/reagent_containers/food/snacks/ingredient/spaghetti
    name = "sperghetti noodles"
    desc = "Original italian sperghetti spaghetti noodles."
    icon_state = "sperghetti"

/obj/item/reagent_containers/food/snacks/spaghetti/
    name = "sperghetti noodles"
    desc = "Just noodles on their own."
    icon_state = "sperg_plain"  

/obj/item/reagent_containers/food/snacks/spaghetti/sauce
    name = "sperghetti with tomato sauce"
    desc = "Eh, the sauce tastes pretty bland..."
    icon_state = "sperg_dish"

/obj/item/reagent_containers/food/snacks/spaghetti/meatball
    name = "sperghetti and meatballs"
    desc = "That's better!"
    icon_state = "sperg_meatball"

/obj/item/reagent_containers/food/snacks/spaghetti/meatball
    name = "sperghetti and meatballs"
    desc = "That's better!"
    icon_state = "sperg_meatball"

The descriptions of asspie and assburger are obvious references that might need to be changed, but aren't issue #1.

The real issue was in the cultural use of "sperg" as a pejorative, which is what i think is what was meant to be addressed.
My opinion is while it's hypocritical, I don't believe that autistic people would be that offended by this. I assume most would be trying to blend in and not immediately announce that they have autism by deeming something offensive.

Autism is different for everybody, but SS13 already has a reputation of being a game for autists because it's so detail oriented. Having a few injokes for the game seems like a comparatively minor thing. If anything I'm sure the ASD members of ss13 appreciate having something that they can enjoy and meet people on where behavior some might deem weird is completely normal.
Yeah i HONESTLY DID NOT KNOW WHAT THE RIGHT ANSWER WAS, so hence the thread. Saw the idea pop up in another thread, and went '.... huh that's a really good conversation to have, actually' so thank you all for participating, i am super glad this thread is going well and people are being civil and friendly to each other, please keep chuggin' along
I wanna say, though I am voting for the removal, I agree that it's really not that bad, or that anyone is a bad person or anything for not being bothered by it.

I'm more just arguing for a consistent hand across these things.
(11-09-2016, 11:50 PM)The_Rain Wrote: I thought the ass-items were butt puns. Shows what I know. And that sperghetti was a doofy spelling.

I mostly object to 'sperging out' being used to describe throwing a fit or lashing out.

Thank you for highlighting this, Rain. Isn't this what we're discussing?

I feel as though those of us who are saying it's offensive are referring to phrases like "sperging out," which astounds me that people are willing to defend it.

If we're talking about assburgers which are burgers made put of asses, I mean, why is that even a question? It's a literal statement; however, if it goes on to say something in the description about people with Asperger's that's an issue. 

if we're going to say it's alright for people to make jokes at the expense of others just because you personally aren't offended then let's just open the doors and let all the hurtful degrading nonsense be allowed while we're at it? 

I'm serious when I say that I'm so dissapointed in this community that a majority of you are being so irrational in regards to this.
For the record, I personally do not have AS or any flavor of autism so I feel my opinion on the items being discussed and the word "sperg" is irrelevant, and I will defer to SpyGuy on this matter.

(11-10-2016, 06:08 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: if we're going to say it's alright for people to make jokes at the expense of others just because you personally aren't offended then let's just open the doors and let all the hurtful degrading nonsense be allowed while we're at it? 

I'm serious when I say that I'm so dissapointed in this community that a majority of you are being so irrational in regards to this.

If someone says "I have the thing that this word refers to and it doesn't offend me personally," how is that irrational?  They're sharing its effect on they themselves.
(11-10-2016, 07:07 AM)Haine Wrote: words

(11-10-2016, 06:08 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Stuff

If someone says "I have the thing that this word refers to and it doesn't offend me personally," how is that irrational?  They're sharing its effect on they themselves.

You're still a person and an observer of these actions and have all the right in the world to form an opinion on the situation and share said opinion. If we leave commentary exclusively to those who fall within a particular category then we're not getting the whole argument.

This is the same issue folks are having right now with the Redskins. Sorry, Haine, I don't recall if you live in the states or not so I'll give a brief summary of the situation I'm referring to. 

There's an American football team called the Washington Redskins. "Redskin" is a derogatory term used to describe Native Americans (due to the assumed red hue of their skin). There are a great deal of folks in the Native American community who feel this is offensive and for legitimate reasons. There are also a number of those in the community who don't care or aren't bothered by it.

The word exists as a descriptor meant to single someone out and came into existence with the intention to be used as a slur, similar to nigger or spook (Please excuse my use of these words. I'm not calling anyone by them simply using them for demonstrative purposes). Now you can argue that only a small number of people are offended and it's current use isn't intended as a derogatory statement; however, the decent thing to do in a situation such as this is to simply not use the term. There is nothing gained in the use of Redskin and nothing lost in simply selecting another label that hhasn't been used in the past as a slur.

So, yes, folks can argue that they are or are not offended but putting this quite simply as I can:

Why use terminology that is negative and came about as a means of belittling people when you can simply avoid all of this trouble and nonsense by not saying it?

What do you lose in not calling someone an aspie or saying someone is sperging out? Use one of the many other words available to you in the English language. In doing so, you'll better communicate your thoughts and avoid offending people in the process.
I mean, as long as you don't downright make fun of someone with a debilitating disease or syndrome, I don't see a problem. If they're getting butthurt about a little joke, then they really either don't have a sense of humor or their syndrome has REALLY negatively affected them. I don't wanna be that one guy who doesn't give a shit about people's disabilities or whatever, and I'm not. I mean, don't make fun of cancer, since that literally is lethal and destroys lives. ADHD and other minor disabilities (well, ADHD isn't minor in my case but, idgaf about people cracking jokes) syndromes are, in my O P I N I O N, are fair game for minor jokes and puns. Not a whole bunch of 'em, though. Just one or two, until it gets both repetitive and can start offending the more sensitive people.

bleh, probably not my entire or correct view/o p i n i o n, but I really can't be bothered to put in anymore effort.

TL;DR, don't be butthurt about a few jokes towards minor/moderate disabilities, but don't make too many jokes.
Atmos I think there's a difference between outright racism that marginalizes groups and lighthearted jabs at the community.

Because for me it's the latter. You can't really marginalize people with aspergers here because, as seen from this thread, there is a literal community of them. You could probably add all sorts of "offensive" autistic stuff and it still wouldn't matter because the people here identify with it, rather than shun it. The old forum used to be called autisticpowers for crying out loud.
This is tied into a much larger issue: one of empathy for others. Someone has already stated how they struggled in the past when coming to terms with their doagnosis as having Asperger's.

There's a question we should ask ourselves:
Do we desire to bevome a haven where people can play a game in an environment where they don't receive the typical harassment so commonly found in our day to day lives OR do we say "nah screw it, we think it's funny, so deal."

The fact that we already ban folks for using bigoted language speaks volumes in what direction we should take this (I would hope). I don't think this is necessarily  something folks should be getting banned over but a light reminder that, hey it won't be tolerated if you continue with this behaviour, would be refreshing. Same goes for calling people retards, schizo, etc.

Our society's view are slowly adapting to become more accepting and inclusive of others. I'd hate to see goonstation make the same backward movement my country has just made.