Poll: remove asperger's joke items?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes, remove them
26.63%
45 26.63%
no, leave them in
73.37%
124 73.37%
Total 169 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
should we remove asperger's jokes y/n
I don't see how they imply anything bad about people with Aspergers. They don't even do anything to your character unlike other foods do or have done in the past (looking at you, droopy cake).

Should we remove Swedish meatballs too?
I thought spergetthi was a joke on how the Swedish chef says that word. I thought it was in poor taste until I was told that.

In any case, I'm of the opinion that the person making the joke doesn't get to decide if it's offensive or harmful. While these jokes aren't the worst, they reflect a harmful attitude toward people with mental disabilities and are offensive in nature.

Should they be removed? If we are the kind I'd people that don't want to be needlessly offensive despite complaints, yes. Are we that kind of people? I'd hope so, but the majority of us probably aren't.
Hello, i have Asperger syndrome and frankly i don't find the jokes offensive, The entire premise of calling these jokes ableist is dumb in my humble opinion. i can understand the offense with bigoted language but i can't understand how this offends anyone. really removing stuff because it offends a very small amount of people is dumb and sets a bad precedent, ie "my dog died in a house fire remove plasma and fire." sorry if i came off bad.
Also, assburger works as a name because its literally a burger made out of ass. Same goes for asspie. The only one that's odd and might be removed is Sperghetti, and I initially thought, like UrslaMajor, that it was just a reference to Swedish accents.

Edit: Actually, when you consider that one trait of Asperger's is taking things very literally, that's why assburger and asspie don't really offend people with Asperger's. Also, that's dumb logic and I'll shut up now.
If nobody on the server with asperger's wants it gone, I don't really see a reason to remove it. I personally think "sperg" is a dumb word, so I don't use it, but I'm not the word police or anything.
I worked 2 1/2 years as a caregiver for people with various mental and intellectual disabilities, and I've definitely seen how ableism can be a real thing in several forms

Quote:popecrunch

Despite our pretty good track record of removing homophobic / racist / sexist / etc.-ist stuff from the game

It is a good track record, so I'm going to say yes on removal.
Like many others in this thread, I am autistic myself and do not find any of these items offensive. Leave it how it is.
Honestly I never had connected half of those things before, and I even had heard the assburgers joke in a different context. I say keep them, they are not intended to be derogatory or anything.
as someone with aspergers i don't think theyre offensive at all

but then again i'd like to see more fun poked at everything
We're sensitive enough. I mean I get why faggots were ditched in favor of meatballs, some of this is needed. We just have to be careful to not go over that 'so polite it's uncomfortable' stage.
Actual diagnosed sperg here. I am okay with it.

Hell, It's not even an official diagnoses anymore, since it and all autism has been melded together into the "Autistic Spectrum Disorder" according to the DSM-V
I'm beginning to detect an unusually high concentration of people with Asperger's in this playerbase.

At the same time, that explains a lot.
(11-09-2016, 05:12 PM)A4Brogan Wrote: Actual diagnosed sperg here. I am okay with it.

Hell, It's not even an official diagnoses anymore, since it and all autism has been melded together into the "Autistic Spectrum Disorder" according to the DSM-V

Fortunatly for me I got my official diagnosis just before they left the DSM-IV
(11-09-2016, 06:03 PM)TheNewTeddy Wrote:
(11-09-2016, 05:12 PM)A4Brogan Wrote: Actual diagnosed sperg here. I am okay with it.

Fortunatly for me I got my official diagnosis just before they left the DSM-IV

I was diagnosed in '08. On my 18th birthday. Meaning that they couldn't do shit to help me.

It used to be a sensitive issue for me. Now that I see the tendencies in normies, and it dawns on me that sometimes, normies ain't normal AT ALL.
Since this has turned into the 'how mental are you' topic, I have tourettes and associated disorders.
You get used to the attention.