Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let borgs change their batteries themselves
I'm against this for reasons listed by others (gives Roboticists something else to do, even if it only takes seconds, essentially). Cyborgs finding artcells and wanting them installed is pretty common, and if they can do it themselves it comes with no risk.

My primary reason for being against this, though, is that it's a great way to deal with a rogue AI (and thus cyborgs) who think they're being sneaky ("hey, you want this artcell installed?" Cyborg gets into dock, has cell removed but not replaced until AI laws reset, much rejoicing).

At the first hint of a rogue AI, my primary mission as a roboticist is to shut down cyborgs as quickly and damage-free as possible. This means removing cells (the best they can do then is shove you around, which they soon rapidly give up as you slowly disassemble them as they get close), or removing the interface. Removing cells is instant but requires social manipulation, removing the interface comes with a chance for the cyborg to get the heck out of dodge with its lid off.

If cyborgs can do it themselves this removes another, permadeath-free, way of dealing with them.

I would, however, be agreeable to them being able to do it only if the whole "self-service" flag is on. This should come with the caveat that it is off by default (else all they have to do is use a device analyser and make themselves a new one).
(11-07-2016, 05:17 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: Start with a cell: indifferent
Change themselves: kinda good, but I would prefer roboticists had any function at all at this point, still, that's an issue outside this
Ability to communicate, even if messed up: Y E S
ok that's all

Yes. They should be able to speak locally but not broadcast over the radio. 

Also if you get stuck without a cell as long as there is an AI you can still chat with robot talk.
Just beware, if cyborgs can change their own batteries, stunning them and removing their batteries to depower a force field upgrade becomes even harder.
(11-07-2016, 05:46 PM)Grifflez Wrote: Just beware, if cyborgs can change their own batteries, stunning them and removing their batteries to depower a force field upgrade becomes even harder.

Are they unable to be debrained while the force field upgrade is on?

(11-07-2016, 05:02 PM)somepotato Wrote: I don't think it'd be a bad idea to have them start with 15000 cells, but not sure on allowing them to change their own cells.

Sorry to doublepost but letting them start with 15k cells is more than enough. If that happened not letting them change their own cells is fine.
(11-07-2016, 05:53 PM)Ludwig Wrote: Are they unable to be debrained while the force field upgrade is on?

The forcefield deflects the tools while it's up. Or it did the last time I tried!
Just so you know, disabling a borg by removing their cell permanently is against the rules especially if they still have law 3.
(11-08-2016, 09:33 AM)somepotato Wrote: Just so you know, disabling a borg by removing their cell permanently is against the rules especially if they still have law 3.

I don't think people doing it on purpose is really a problem, most examples where I've seen it's been a newbie roboticist screwing up a cell change. The wiki page really needs to have cell changes mentioned.
(11-08-2016, 09:46 AM)ferriswheel1 Wrote:
(11-08-2016, 09:33 AM)somepotato Wrote: Just so you know, disabling a borg by removing their cell permanently is against the rules especially if they still have law 3.

I don't think people doing it on purpose is really a problem, most examples where I've seen it's been a newbie roboticist screwing up a cell change. The wiki page really needs to have cell changes mentioned.

The thing is that you can put cells in the charger, and you can install them into borgs, but the borgs CANNOT (since I last checked) install them themselves. It tends to go like this:

1. Borg puts new cell in charger
2. Borg gets old cell removed
3. Borg goes in charger, sees he can't actually put new cell in
4. Borg flies out of charger, running around like a maniac because it's his only way on earth of communicating with the fucking roboticist to do it himself, who thinks he's just retarded and refuses to speak.

Even if you can circumvent this by warning him ahead of time, both newbie borgs and newbie roboticists miss vital steps of preventing this from fucking happening and it's EXTREMELY frustrating. You can't use any form of emote or indicator whatsoever so it's really crippling if somebody fucks up
(11-08-2016, 09:54 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote:

The thing is that you can put cells in the charger, and you can install them into borgs, but the borgs CANNOT (since I last checked) install them themselves. It tends to go like this:

1. Borg puts new cell in charger
2. Borg gets old cell removed
3. Borg goes in charger, sees he can't actually put new cell in
4. Borg flies out of charger, running around like a maniac because it's his only way on earth of communicating with the fucking roboticist to do it himself, who thinks he's just retarded and refuses to speak.

Even if you can circumvent this by warning him ahead of time, both newbie borgs and newbie roboticists miss vital steps of preventing this from fucking happening and it's EXTREMELY frustrating. You can't use any form of emote or indicator whatsoever so it's really crippling if somebody fucks up

I don't know what the solution but this is something really frustrating as a borg. Having to shove the roboticist around the room until he's ready to remove your brain in addition to your cell is not fun for roboticist nor borg.

Well if its an accident, its not on purpose now is it?
how about we just add a roboticist borg? i mena who better to do precise machines and surgery than well a machine!
(11-14-2016, 10:31 AM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: how about we just add a roboticist borg? i mena who better to do precise machines and surgery than well a machine!