Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let borgs change their batteries themselves
Borgs are capable of doing many things themselves except changing their batteries and replacing limbs. There are often times when there are no roboticists around and nobody willing to help out someone who started as a borg. If it doesn't make sense that a borg would be able to operate briefly without a battery, maybe they could queue a command on the docking station to have it switch the battery out with some sort of delay.

Alternatively, let borgs start with a 15k power cell. 7.5k cells really go pretty fast even with an efficiency module.

Or maybe let borgs change other borgs' batteries. I think that would be okay too.
[Image: 81bd3c5bb10ec3f859f0e74ab65479bc.gif]
Starting with a 7.5k cell when there's 15k cells in the same room is incredibly dumb.
(11-06-2016, 04:28 PM)Grek Wrote: Starting with a 7.5k cell when there's 15k cells in the same room is incredibly dumb.

Budget cuts.
Being trapped forever unable to speak because a numpty roboticist took your cell out and forgot to replace it is also dumb
Hello, I'm here from the roboticists' union, I'd like to have a word with you about cuts to staffing.

In all seriousness though, changing cells is one of the few things roboticists can actually do to help borgs, other than changing modules or limbs. Whilst I'm all for giving borgs more freedom, removing cell changes lowers the amount of ways roboticists can cooperate with them, which is honestly the best part of playing the role.
(11-07-2016, 01:38 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: Hello, I'm here from the roboticists' union, I'd like to have a word with you about cuts to staffing.

In all seriousness though, changing cells is one of the few things roboticists can actually do to help borgs, other than changing modules or limbs. Whilst I'm all for giving borgs more freedom, removing cell changes lowers the amount of ways roboticists can cooperate with them,  which is honestly the best part of playing the role.

I also enjoy roboticist and can completely understand where you're coming from, but the entire process of changing a battery takes a second or two and then you may never seen the borg again regardless. There have been several rounds in the past few days when I'm a borg and I'm asking on the radio and chasing people around the station and nobody will change my battery. Trying to do anything productive as a borg with a 7.5k cell becomes a chore really quickly.

I'd even be okay with something in the docking station like "No roboticist detected on the manifest, cell changer enabled." I think that's making the solution a lot more convoluted than it needs to be though.

I'm not trying to reduce the roboticists' fun but instead increase borgs' QOL when they have no roboticist to take care of them.
Make an upgrade that allows Borgs to do their own cell changes, limb changes, etc. A Maintenance Upgrade
What about letting roboticists make different power sources for the borgs? Stuff like fuel engines, wireless power receivers, nuclear reactors and suchlike. That'd be fun.
(11-07-2016, 02:24 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: What about letting roboticists make different power sources for the borgs? Stuff like fuel engines, wireless power receivers, nuclear reactors and suchlike. That'd be fun.

Give em the Plutonium Core. Infinite power and the ability to take everyone with them.
(11-07-2016, 02:53 PM)Superlagg Wrote: Give em the Plutonium Core. Infinite power and the ability to take everyone with them.

I N I T I A T E R O B O D U N K
Not sure how the power cells have changed with all the updates. You used to be able to create supercells from a plasmastone/pharosium(?) composite. They were super easy to make (though rarely made) and made 15k cells look like a potato battery. This means there'd still be room for improvement even if we completely ditch the 7.5k cells.

We should ditch the inability to communicate your powerlessness. I honestly thought that was changed. It could be anything. Garbled, localized speech. Clicks and beeps. Power lights. You'd be surprised how often a roboticist just forgets about your cell.

As for borgs changing it themselves, I'd say no. I'll admit Burrito Justice's cute as fuck gif about sold me, but nay. Borgs require humans for a few things. It's one of their few weaknesses.
(11-07-2016, 01:38 PM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: Hello, I'm here from the roboticists' union, I'd like to have a word with you about cuts to staffing.

In all seriousness though, changing cells is one of the few things roboticists can actually do to help borgs, other than changing modules or limbs. Whilst I'm all for giving borgs more freedom, removing cell changes lowers the amount of ways roboticists can cooperate with them,  which is honestly the best part of playing the role.

changing a borgs powercell isnt nearly as involved as say replacing limbs or changing a module and would take nothing away from the experience
I don't think it'd be a bad idea to have them start with 15000 cells, but not sure on allowing them to change their own cells.
Start with a cell: indifferent
Change themselves: kinda good, but I would prefer roboticists had any function at all at this point, still, that's an issue outside this
Ability to communicate, even if messed up: Y E S
ok that's all