Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wraiths and how to fight them.
So a month ago I made a thread about giving wraiths more late-game powers. A general consensus was found that before we can buff wraiths, the crew needed more ways to fight them. That is what this thread is about.

First up
Before we get into new content, let me begin with a statement: Salt lines are completely useless. Any wraith with half a brain knows how to avoid them, and even if the wraith is dumb enough to walk into them anyone can fuck up a salt line by running over them, and trust me, nobody walks instead of running. Ever.  What could be done to make salt piles not be comically useless? I have a few ideas.
  • Now that we have sprinting as of the movement update, make it so you can now run over salt lines without disrupting them, with sprinting scattering them instead.
  • Make it so salt can be smoked or foamed, thus allowing a scientist to effectively lock an entire room from wraith entry.
  • Alternatively, make it so smoking or foaming salt won't create salt piles, but will still expose a wraith who is in it's area of effect.
Other than that, feel free to suggest anything that would make salt piles not be useless
Next up, let's make holy water actually be useful against wraiths, rather than not doing anything. My idea is that splashing holy water on a tile will act like an invisible salt pile, possibly catching a wraith off guard. Similarly, splashing holy water directly on a wraith will temporarily force them to stay manifested and do a fair amount of damage as well. While we are at it, make it so being in the chapel forces them to manifest as long as they are inside, after all, they are the only "Supernatural" antagonist that doesn't have any negative effects from being in the chapel, so why not continue the trend?

Also thermals should be able to see wraiths as a wraith-shaped patch of cold, and in case they for some goddamned reason don't do so already, ecto eyes and ghost goggles will let you see wraiths.

Actual new content
As you would expect, this topic has been talked about before, so forgive me if some of this stuff is taken from other threads.

Vacuum cleaners
A classic ghostbusting device, this one has two variants, a dedicated ghostbusting vacuum, and a basic janitor one. both are bulky items, so they can't fit in backpacks.

The janitor vacuum is more fit for cleaning than ghostbusting, being able to pull in any tiny-sized items, as well as any dust, ash, dirt, or salt , and keep them in it's bag. Clicking on it in hand will dump out the contents at your feet. It can also pull in wraiths, but the spirit can simply float out unless there is salt in the bag, in which case the wraith can kiss it's ghost-ass goodbye before promptly having the vacuum dropped in the crusher. Wraiths will be able to resist out of bags however, giving them a chance to escape.

Dedicated ghostbusting vacuums will be much more effective at wraith catching. They pull wraiths in from further away and faster too, making it harder for wraiths to flee from their captors, and don't need to be salted to be able to contain wraiths. Rather than needing to be dropped into a crusher to destroy the wraith, when it has a wraith inside it can fire the wraith, letting you simply shoot them into the crusher.  Ghostbuster vacuums would be found at locations in the debris field, as well as in a brand-new anti-wraith crate found in the armory, which will contain vacuums, ecto eyes, and holy water.

Priestly intervention
The chaplain comes to save the day once again! The chaplain will now have a new set of tricks to fight the wraith.
  • Using a bible in-hand will allow you to preform an excorism of the surrounding area, manifesting any wraiths. Doing so takes a few seconds and comes with an obvious chat message, however, and doing so as a non-chaplain has a chance of triggering a non-lethal bolt of divine retribution.
  • The chaplain will randomly receive a message in the chat saying: "You feel an unholy presence nearby..." in the chat when a hidden wraith is near.
  • The chaplain will now be a walking salt pile, and floating over him will force a wraith out of hiding.
  • If the finishing blow to a wraith is done by a smack to the face with a bible, it will permanently banished, no second chances.
Other
  • The ectoplasmic destabilizer found in the void will deal massive damage to a wraith if you shoot them with it
  • If the other suggestion in the other thread at the top is implemented, the current wraiths could remain in the game as "Lesser Wraiths" or something along those lines and be an uncommon random event like they are now, while the new and improved wraiths would be their own gamemode.
  • Mageziya made some sprites (Found on page two of that thread) of a wraith death animation, so you can tell the difference between a wraith simply de-manifesting or dying.

"But won't this make wraiths underpowered if they have so many weaknesses but no way to effectively kill the crew?"
Like I said, this was mostly made so the crew stands more of a fighting chance if the thread at the top of this post was implemented. Though making a suggestion just to balance another you made doesn't really feel right, there is too much stuff here to fit in my other thread.

Well, that is all I have to say for now. As with my last thread, if you have any ideas of how to improve this one, just post and I will make sure to read it. Thanks! <3
Make the ghostbusting vacuum cleaner steal normal ghosts too. Then you put them in soulless bodies so they come back to life.