Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mageziya's Irrelevant Sprites
Brick 
So, for the heck of it, and to practice perspective, I decided to try and make a Starcraft Dragoon sprite, with only MsPaint.
[Image: MHPhCJk.png]
Also, Dragoon's have 4-way symmetry, so they don't need multiple sprites.

I also just realized that I forgot the Dragoon death sprite, whoops.
[Image: TPZfYVJ.png]
Dragoon Death Sprite.

So, I suppose I could take requests, preferably with size constraints and rough color palette mentioned. Should be noted that, as mentioned earlier, I'm using MsPaint, which is like Byond in that it's extremely limited, but also capable of a lot of things, despite said imitations. Nothing is guaranteed, and requests have the chance of ending in complete and utter failure. Also, things that only take one sprite, such as items, are preferred.
So I got a little inspired by the Dread Touhou incident from about a week ago.

Have a Touhou suit for use in any future incidents:
[Image: FtgqIxb.png]

Once again, made in MsPaint. I tried using Gimp to make it at least transparent or something, but it turns out I'm too incompetent to even do that. This is also my first time making a full scale sprite set, so I didn't really know what I was doing, especially with the handheld sprites. I used Gannet's fancy clothes set as a reference for the handheld sprites and also scaling for the icon sprite.

There are also two back sprites. The character this is based off of is supposed to have ice wings, but I realized that I had no idea what scale I was working with for the sprites, due to the nature of my terrible editing tool. Instead of dealing with the wings, I just put decals on the back sprite, but it sort of looks like shit, so I've included a back sprite without the decals.

If this ever does make it into the game, Uguu suicide should be possible if this is worn.
I got inspired by the decorative sprites suggestion thread and made an aquarium frame, along with alternate fillings:
[Image: rMxA3di.png]
Well this is a nightmare and a half. I've decided to try and convert my shitty sprites to .dmi and my god. I fully understand now why coders can't be half-assed to convert sprites to .dmi sometimes, because it is a just a tedious nightmare.

A a test, and because it should be relatively simple to use due to needing only one sprite for each, I converted the two aquarium sprites into .dmi. Could someone please check and see if I did everything right? Like, if the sprites actually work and if they're transparent or not. If so I can actually try more spriting now, and maybe convert the joke-clothes I made into .dmi (after touchups, of course.) If I were to do that, how would I go about it? Would each different sprite be a seperate .dmi file, or do they all need to be linked some how?

Sprites here, I think. (Dropbox)

On top of other general incompetency, this is also my first time dealing with dropbox, so sorry if this also doesn't work.

At the end of all of this, I also just realized that I likely left the corners of the aquarium sprites as white and not transparent, so now these sprites are offically only test sprites, woo! Darn.

Also, for future reference, could we please get an official-ish guide on the wiki for converting to .dmi? Unless I missed it, the wiki primarily only covers the artistic aspects of spriting. I had to use the TG station wiki, along with a bunch of other random info cobbled together from various sources.
[Image: 2aLRaeb.png]

.dmi File [Dropbox]

That took a hell of a lot longer than I thought it would. It turns out that my old references were bad, so I had to tweak up nearly every sprite a little bit. I also think I successfully converted it all into a single .dmi.

I have no idea what I'm doing anymore. I suppose I can make other stuff now? This took an insane amount of time, with most of the time being figuring out how to make Byond's Dream Maker work, and despite it all I still have a nagging feeling that I messed something up somewhere.

If this set of joke clothes ever makes it into the game, which I doubt, just toss it in the costume crate or somewhere unimportant.
you could always use dream maker to make the sprite, that way you don't need to convert it. also, if you right click an image in dream maker, you can export it and get the .png or gif out of it if you need it
[Image: uEsfD1a.png]
I started making a green wizard outfit. How's this look so far?

Not quite sure what to do for the hat.
For the hat you should make something green with a brim of that yellow, and a yellow "diamond thatch"-y pattern if you can get the detail.

If you want something else to work in I suggest Paint.NET - it has full transparency support.
Kubius Wrote:If you want something else to work in I suggest Paint.NET - it has full transparency support.
Thank you for this. Paint.NET is amazing, but still simple enough for someone like me to use.

[Image: fJtfSbc.gif]

[Image: EmCuO3W.png]

Main Outfit DMI
Hat DMI

The suggestion for the hat didn't quite work with the color schemes. I couldn't really make much work with the hat that didn't look terrible, so I ultimately went with an unorignal hat design. The item versions of the shirt and the hat are functionally recolored version of the item versions of other wizard outfits, as they seem to be made on the same general shape.
I may as well post these here. These were proofs of concept more than anything else.

[Image: 55891f4925e6369b7d0fb43ac6e7e189.png]
[Image: 14e34eb4f03bd160873016e1a879a1f5.png]
[Image: o7FrhwO.gif]

Also, after a decent amount of time to look back on this thread, that wizard outfit is hideous. A flat out recolor would have looked better than that.
Well, I'm here to continue the "Irrelevant" part of this thread's title.

After the previous mock-up thing I wanted to try and make another sprite animation, so I made this thing:

[Image: uC8R74v.gif]

And like the others, there are things wrong with it, but its something.

The irrelevant part comes in that the only reason I'm putting this is here it because I have nowhere else to put it. It's not intended for any level of use in SS13 and not related to SS13 in subject. The only relation is the 32x32 boundary.

And because, why not, here's the sheet I used in MSPaint. Why not Paint.NET? Because in the end, all I know is paint.

[Image: q5phbKL.png]

In the end, it's all practice without application.
So I was poking around the in the newly opened Gooncode when I found this line in the wraith file:

Code:
death(gibbed)
            //Todo: some cool-ass effects here
That's when I realized that the wraith doesn't actually have a death animation. When I thought about it, that's also why when playing as a wraith or fighting a wraith it's never really certain when a wraith actually dies or just had their visibility timer run out and go back to being hidden.
While I cannot assure that this is either cool-ass or good, I decided to at least try at making a wraith death animation.
[Image: icxnuxg.gif]

And now that I look at it, I realized that I've done a dumb and for once, setting the gif to transparent was actually the wrong thing to do, since the forum by default has a black background. Just right-click it and select view image to better see it.

Whatever, I like it, though the arms bother me. Nothing that I did seemed to be able to make the arms not look wrong.

Edit: I forgot to say, I'll put up the DMI if it's asked for. I mainly didn't put it up any case any changes needed to be made.
I think it looks great! The slight arm movement doesn't take away from it, or make it look awkward at all.
Bravo. All of your sprites look great!