Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chem dispenser quality of life suggestions
I'm really enjoying the group system on goon chem dispensers, but there are some little things that could vastly improve their usability. Sorry if these have already been posted or are already in-game, fairly new to goon mechanics.
  • Allow groups to stack chems

So as of right now (or as far as I know), you can't stack chems in a group. Let's say I make an Ammonia group by typing "nitrogen;hydrogen;hydrogen;hydrogen," it will come out as only 10u nitrogen and 10u hydrogen. Many recipes recquire lots of one chem and little of another, so this doesn't exactly help. Allowing us to stack chems, such as hydrogen;hydrogen;hydrogen for 30u of hydrogen, would solve that issue.
  • Let players input the amount of each chem they want
Instead of "nitrogen" input automatically coming out as 10u, you could type "20nitrogen" in order to receive 20u, or whatever amount you put in.
  • Inputted chems should be produced in order, rather than all at once
This is a big one, as combining a bunch of base chemicals all at once can lead to the wrong chemical being created, whereas this would allow you to input which chems are produced first to last. For example, "hydrogen;chlorine;bromine" would produce hydrogen first, then chlorine, and then bromine.

To give you guys an idea of how useful these could be, I'll provide an example:
  • Cryoxadone is a much needed chem for stabilizing people and healing fresh clones. Let's check out the recipe: Cryostylane + Plasma + Acetone + Unstable Mutagen. Yeah, a bit of a pain in the ass. But with the above suggestions, it could registered in a chem group as "5Water;5Plasma;5Nitrogen;5Radium;5Plasma;5Chlorine;5plasma;5oxygen." Once made into a chem group, just put the beaker in the dispenser, click the group, add 5u of oil and 5u welding fuel, and bam, cryoxadone.
Speaking of which, it'd be nice if the groups we saved to our ID card would persist between rounds, but I guess that would make it too easy? Not sure.
let people use cups and glasses on chem dispensers with the caveat being that it'll either add too much or too little of a chem since you can't measure it like a beaker
(10-04-2016, 05:03 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: let people use cups and glasses on chem dispensers with the caveat being that it'll either add too much or too little of a chem since you can't measure it like a beaker

I like that a lot, actually
^ that
also while I don't think you could keep your card stuff between rounds, being able to control the amount you enter would be good
I'm fine with being able to add multiples of one chemical (e.g. "nitrogen;hydrogen;hydrogen;hydrogen"), but don't think you should be able to specify amounts; the time it takes to synthesise chems is one of their balancing factors.
If you can easily specify amounts, you basically render the chemicompiler totally obsolete, baring the compiler's ability to make loops.
(10-04-2016, 07:29 PM)Mageziya Wrote: If you can easily specify amounts, you basically render the chemicompiler totally obsolete, baring the compiler's ability to make loops.

Not entirely true because of heating, but another reason for a no from me.
yeah no I mean being able to put in multiples
(10-04-2016, 07:29 PM)Mageziya Wrote: If you can easily specify amounts, you basically render the chemicompiler totally obsolete, baring the compiler's ability to make loops.

I have not one clue what that machine does. Can you explain?
(10-05-2016, 05:43 PM)Hikurac Wrote:

http://wiki.ss13.co/ChemiCompiler

I a nutshell, lets you load beakers and mix them in whatever amounts you desire in whatever order you desire. Just requires you to go through a relatively painful (and probably explosive if messed up) programming setup.
(10-04-2016, 07:19 PM)Mordent Wrote: I'm fine with being able to add multiples of one chemical (e.g. "nitrogen;hydrogen;hydrogen;hydrogen"), but don't think you should be able to specify amounts; the time it takes to synthesise chems is one of their balancing factors.

I've always wanted that, but I've also understood why it isn't a thing. If it happens then I wouldn't mind in the least. As it is the chemicompiler is primarily used for batch-bottling or repeated reactions anyways.
(10-05-2016, 06:03 PM)Mordent Wrote:
(10-05-2016, 05:43 PM)Hikurac Wrote:

http://wiki.ss13.co/ChemiCompiler

I a nutshell, lets you load beakers and mix them in whatever amounts you desire in whatever order you desire. Just requires you to go through a relatively painful (and probably explosive if messed up) programming setup.

Don't forget accidentally crashing your browser! I still haven't figured out how to restrain loops in that infernal language, meaning that all my loops result in killing my browser or, if there's enough commands in a loop, just milling on until the round ends.
I think it would be nice if specified amounts were a thing that chemborgs could do - it'd give them a unique niche that actually makes them better at chemistry than humans. Borgs are (hopefully) about to get reworked shortly though so I'll see how that shakes out first.