Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Colorblind interface mode
Rainbow 
Because it would be thoughtful?
What would one involve?
From what I know on the subject, it typically requires contrasting designs between button states (say, stripes for active/highlighted buttons) and/or contrasting values between button states.

Colorblind people don't see in greyscale (well, some are, but they're rare), but rendering something in greyscale is a good way to test it's viability. If it's harder to use without color, then somebody could have a problem with it.

Of course I'm not colorblind and could be completely wrong, but at the moment I have a moustache (until I cut it off), so I believe I am an authority on everything.
How does the game in general function with colorblindness? I suppose it mostly works, since the greyscale gimmick rounds are pretty playable.
(09-30-2016, 08:50 PM)Mageziya Wrote: How does the game in general function with colorblindness? I suppose it mostly works, since the greyscale gimmick rounds are pretty playable.

I think the health indicators could pose a problem to most colourblind people.

Intents, not so much since they have different sprites to differentiate them as well.
Spriters might be able to use Color Oracle to figure out what it would take to make icons easier to see.

http://colororacle.org/
I dunno what this is, and I've not read the thread. I just saw the title. And frankly, I fully support the idea of colourblind friendly graphics.

Now I'll go read the thread.

(09-30-2016, 08:40 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: From what I know on the subject, it typically requires contrasting designs between button states (say, stripes for active/highlighted buttons) and/or contrasting values between button states.

Colorblind people don't see in greyscale (well, some are, but they're rare), but rendering something in greyscale is a good way to test it's viability. If it's harder to use without color, then somebody could have a problem with it.

Of course I'm not colorblind and could be completely wrong, but at the moment I have a moustache (until I cut it off), so I believe I am an authority on everything.

This is true.
Keep in mind that the colourblind do appreciate colour-coded graphics, so long as they are colours they can see.

Let me grab some images that could be useful for focusing discussion.

[Image: color-pencils.jpg]

[Image: gC4adUG.png]
I made this.

I also made this:
[Image: pEaBrLZ.png]
These are all colourblind-friendly colours.
Okay, yeah for a colour blind mode one of the most pressing things that would need to be changed is the health icons, followed closely by the fires.
This is a good idea. I think changing all of the in-world colors would be pretty difficult, but it would be nice to have a different UI theme you can pick that uses colorblind-friendly colors and visually distinct icons.