Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PocketBuddies!
EDIT: Contribute Buddy voice lines here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

As suggested by Wire, this is a spinoff of the pocket pets thread. Ideally, when fully implemented, this will be integrated into that, but this can stand alone as its own idea while pocket pets are developed.

The PocketBuddy is a GuardBuddy flavoured version of the Tamogotchi and other similar electronic pets. They are carried around and can fit in your bag or pocket, and can talk from within them and other containers. They are "registered" to an owner (ie. "Space Man's PocketBuddy 12-E") and are able to remember who it is that owns them - if someone else picks it up they don't react in the same way they would to their owner. Functionally they can be interacted with in order to play and feed them, like with real electronic pets. This simply provides flavour text. Like regular GuardBuddies, it also provides random chatter ("My favourite colour is blue!" etc.)

The big thing about the PocketBuddy is that it can react to events that are going on. To give some examples:
- When you eat something, it says things like "Wow! That looks tasty! Could you smush me into that please?"
- If you're sick or injured it'll comment on it, and recommend that you take a nap or see a doctor.
- If you're in crit, it'll start calling out for help in the hope that a passer by will render assistance, "Help! Space Man keeps falling down! He's not ok!!"
- If you're punching someone it'll say things like "Pow! You really got 'em!" or "What a punch! Really makes you think."
- If you're in possession of traitor gear it'll tell you "Oh, I see. That's ok, I still love you." Importantly it won't say anything further that could break your cover.
- When thrown away or discarded, it'll start calling your name and crying because it misses you. If someone else picks it up, it'll still talk to them, but the lines will be altered to imply that it really wants to return to their owner. If the person that picks it up also has a PocketBuddy, they talk to each other and it'll attempt to comfort the discarded one.
- If it detects it's on the conveyor belt to the crusher and you're nearby, it'll plead for its life. "Please! Please don't kill me! Buddys don't get an afterlife! I'm so scared to die!!"

There's lots of other little things it can react to, and you guys are free to suggest them. Below is the sprite I've made for it, the screen is in the same relative position as the regular GuardBuddy so that the faces can be reused.

[Image: VAmapf5.png]
oh noooooooo nooooooooooooooooooo it's cute
; _ ; I never want my Pocketbuddy to end up in the crusher, my heart wouldn't be able to take it
(09-26-2016, 01:57 PM)locusts Wrote: - When thrown away or discarded, it'll start calling your name and crying because it misses you. If someone else picks it up, it'll still talk to them, but the lines will be altered to imply that it really wants to return to their owner. If the person that picks it up also has a PocketBuddy, they talk to each other and it'll attempt to comfort the discarded one.
- If it detects it's on the conveyor belt to the crusher and you're nearby, it'll plead for its life. "Please! Please don't kill me! Buddys don't get an afterlife! I'm so scared to die!!"

[Image: VAmapf5.png]

Oh no, please. That's just heart-rending. What monster would do such a thing to a poor buddy?
Yeah, I don't want it to make me feel like sobbing. I mean, maybe. Maybe? Maybe, I dunno.

Just it being sort of nonplussed and confused would be a step in the right direction from silence, though.

EDIT: Perhaps that is the price paid for such a helpful and friendly lil guy.
Other things it should comment on:
-When going down a disposal chute it goes "weee" if it's in your inventory. If it's been placed in the a disposal chute on it's own it will go "nooo"
-It will comment if you're freezing or burning.
-It will comfort you if you are hitting yourself constantly.
-It will call for help if you're drowning. It will call for help if placed in the pool, but it just thinks its suffocating.
-It will comment on your inebriation.
-It will yell to run away if a mob begins to chase you.
-It will rat out anyone masquerading as you if  they pick it up, whether it be a someone wearing a gasmask + id or whether they have your literal physical features (stable mutagen, genetics, changeling), calling them an imposter.
-It will create a group therapy session for traumatized pocketbuddies if multiple ownerless pocketbuddies are left alone for a significant amount of time.
-It will go into "grieving" mode if its owner dies, crying constantly. It will eventually get over and seek a new owner.

Oh and I totally think it should have all the things in the OP, sadness especially. This is macabre humor at it's finest.
Picture this:
A clown dead in the chapel, its head caved in by its own hands. A staff assistant plays the funeral march on the organ. It's surrounded by 20 too many pocketbuddies the clown somehow managed to afford, all grieving too audibly. Even in death does the clown get the last honk.
Okay that's actually pretty amazing.

Nevermind, please listen to Sundance.

EDIT: Make there only be a chance at any given time for it to say something, though, we don't want it to become too spammy.
Emag it and it says mean things to the owner and everyone around them, just acting as a general asshole.
One idea I'm restating: buddies have randomized personalities when purchased. 

This doesn't effect anything other than slightly rewording some phrases they might say, or give them a kinda accent or a nickname they might call you
They become ghosts when they die, and they float around their owner watching over them until they also die, and then they give their owners ghost a hug.
I want to see a swedish pocketbuddy now.
(09-26-2016, 09:53 PM)Superlagg Wrote: They become ghosts when they die, and they float around their owner watching over them until they also die, and then they give their owners ghost a hug.

Truly Amazing, I want this
(09-27-2016, 12:57 AM)ferriswheel1 Wrote: I want to see a swedish pocketbuddy now.

I want that too but not a Swedish Chef buddy but an actual Swedish Pocketbuddy, maybe as an emagged or rare collectible.
Pocket buddies would pretty much be instantly bought whenever an admin activates sim mode, because I imagine you could use the pocket buddies responses to stave off insanity.
So that the coders don't have to write thousands of lines of buddy speech, I've made an editable spreadsheet so that we can contribute buddy speech ourselves. Feel free to add triggers and alternate lines.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
Well fuck if those conveyor belt lines aren't the second most heartbreaking thing i've ever seen in SS13