Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pocket Pets!
This is an idea I've been floating around for a while. It introduces a whole new class of pets (and retroactively changes some critters), as well as a vending machine to buy them from in the staff lounge. Most of these can also be added to the trinket list so you can start with them.

The basic concept is that they're pets that are small enough to be carried around, put in your bag, or in some cases, your pockets (Pocket Pets is a trademark of Nanotransen corporation and not a completely accurate description please don't attempt to put all pets in your pocket).

When placed on the ground, pocket pets (with a few exceptions) behave as most regular pets do, they wander around. If interacted with the green help intent, they can be petted. If interacted with the orange grab intent, they are picked up, and can then be placed inside pockets, boxes, bags etc.

When vended, these pets take on the name "[Person whose card was used to buy them]'s [pet type]". You can use a pen on them to give them a special name. You should probably beware of space cats though. If they see these pets wandering around they are liable to hunt them!

Mice ($10)
Pocketable: yes
Yes, the same mice that are wandering around the station. You can try and pick those up but they're liable to bite you any time you do. These Nanotransen tamed mice are sweet, friendly creatures that will eat most anything you'll give them.
Spriting status: need in-hand sprites.

Hamsters/Gerbils/Guinea Pigs/Sugar Gliders ($20)
I've grouped these together as they function basically the same. They'll eat seeds as well as fruit that you give them. Want to protect them from nasty cats as they wander around outside your care? Put them in a Nanotrensen plastic exercise ball, also available from the pocket pet vending machine (for another $20)!
Spriting status: needs lots of sprites. Alive, dead, in a ball and in hand for all four, as well as empty ball.

Rock ($1)
It's a rock.
Spriting status: already in game.

Hedgehog ($50)
Pocketable: no, bag only.
These timid creatures curl up every time you pick them up. Make sure to wear gloves when you do so, or you're going to give yourself some minor brute damage. And don't you dare throw them at other people when they're curled up like this! If you feed it an onion ring, it turns blue and does more damage when curled up. I wonder what happens if you give it seven emeralds too...
Spriting status: Need in hand.
http://imgur.com/a/YTkCw

Space Carpenter Bee ($200)
Pocketable: no, bag only
The Domesticated Space Bee had some interesting offshoot projects, some of which came to fruition and some didn't. Space Carpenter Bees were one. They never got to be as big as their honeybee cousins, but their small size, fuzzier bodies, and black and white colouring have made them popular with bee enthusiasts everywhere. While just as willing to defend you if attacked (and not in your bag) its sting isn't as potent as the honeybee variety, and being a carpenter bee, it can't make honey either. However, if you give it a piece of wood it will make a wonderful carving for you to admire.
Spriting status: Need in hand
http://imgur.com/a/6oupQ

Snail ($10)
When placed on the ground, snails wander around just like any other pet, just much, much more slowly. They also retreat into their shell when picked up.
Spriting status: need in hand
http://imgur.com/a/HO2wG

Cockatiel ($250)
Like the mice, you can pick up one of these from the aviary but good luck not getting bitten. As with all SS13 cockatiels, they'll pick up random items and play with them, and also mimic voices they hear, even from inside your bag!
Spriting status: needs in-hand.

Hermit Crab ($100)
Pocketable: depends what its hiding in
See: http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=6998
Spriting status: needs dead, seashell home, in-hand.

Spider ($15)
Just like the regular spiders! Coos if you pet it. Unlike other feral creatures, you can pick up regular spiders no problem.
Spriting status: needs in-hand.

Snake ($500)
Of the constrictor variety. As much as a fashion statement as a pet, snakes can be placed in the mask slot to carry it around your neck. Beware, if not watched carefully it's liable to attempt to eat other small pets.
Spriting status: needs alive, dead, in-hand, around neck.

Scorpion ($500, hacked machine only)
Pocketable: why would you do this
If you pick it up or touch it, it'll sting you and inject you with a dose of venom. I'm really sorry, we don't know how these got in here.
Spriting status: needs alive, dead, in-hand.

EDIT:
Updating the descriptions to show which sprites are currently needed, as well as adding a few new ideas.

Ferret ($250)
Pocketable: bag only
Picks up shiny things (gems, money), returns them to you and dumps them in your bag.
Spriting status: they exist to some extent, probably need one for in hand.

Frog ($50)
Hops around, eats cockroaches. Feed it some poisonous mushrooms to turn it into a poison dart frog, wear gloves if you touch it after that.
Spriting status: needs alive, dead, in-hand, recolours for poison dart status.

Gecko ($75)
Sticks to walls. Can wear tiny gecko shades, available for a further $25.
Spriting status: needs alive, dead, in hand, on wall, and versions of all four with shades on.

Praying Mantis ($50)
Put more than one praying mantis in the same bag and they will murder and consume each other until there is one left.
Spriting status: needs alive, dead, in hand.

Virtuo-Pet PocketBuddy ($100)
Beeps occasionally. Press a button to clear away poo. Makes you feel empty and like you wasted your money. Read here: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid...5#pid81645
Spriting status: in hand sprite needed.

Other pocket pets I haven't thought out yet:
Butterflies, Tortoises, Iguanas, Stick Insects, Tarantulas, Chinchillas, Lemurs, Squirrels, Squirrel Monkeys, Fish, Otters
I want this to be a thing so much.
Quote:Hedgehog ($50)
These timid creatures curl up every time you pick them up. Make sure to wear gloves when you do so, or you're going to give yourself some minor brute damage. And don't you dare throw them at other people when they're curled up like this! If you feed it an onion ring, it turns blue and does more damage when curled up. I wonder what happens if you give it seven emeralds too...

Inb4 clown tries to feed his pet hedgehog gin and sonic.
(09-18-2016, 03:22 AM)atomic1fire Wrote:
Quote:Hedgehog ($50)

Inb4 clown tries to feed his pet hedgehog gin and sonic.

Petition to make hedgehogs explode when fed Gin and Sonic?
I can't wait to make mystery meat out of all of these new and exciting animals.
I am very disappointed at the lack of lizards
How about tamagotchis or other LED electronic pets
This is all extremely adorable
[Image: Escargot_%C3%A0_la_Bourguignonne_-_eatingeast.jpg]
Ferrets should take shiny things and hide them in a secret pile (your backpack) and should also steal things from people you throw them at, and they should scurry around inside your jumpsuit where you can accumulate more and more ferrets until you can't stand the smell anymore.

Also i want a falcon to steal things and eat other people's pets. And a murder of crows to murder people with crows.
i was hoping that you were going to suggesting capturing fermids and wendigos in special small capsules in order to force them to fight to the death, or sic them on people
How about a Clown/Assistant traitor item that supersizes any pet and makes it protect their owner like bees?
Maybe let it come randomly from locked crates too.
As with most suggestions, the easiest way to get your idea implemented is to provide sprites (in this case all the various animal sprites, as well as in-hand variants).

For what it's worth I'm for it, cute critters are never a bad thing.
I don't want to seem insincere, but I did a search in the sprite subform and someone already made sprites for a ferret but it's the ingame representation of your ferret.

http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=...ght=Ferret

If it wasn't too offensive maybe someone could take the existing sprite and just recolor it for other ferret colors, and keep your pet as a rare george type thing.

Unless of course you want to populate the station full of ferrets.
I actually never added that ferret in (apparently laziness trumps dead pet memorials) so that sprite is perfectly fine for use on this project, I don't mind at all.

Maybe there can be a rare chance to spawn my deadferret and he can do something special like attack people's feet (note: his absolute favorite thing was nipping bare feet).