Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Artifact ideas and suggestions
I feel as if basically all of the artifacts are well known by this point and besides the occasional wish(not sure if admin spawn only), turret or rare chem injector artifacts it all seems pretty stale to me.

So I think we should try to come up with new artifacts to spice up the artlab.

I've been thinking about this and I've got some ideas.

1. Artifact instruments, instead of making noise constantly they make a noise on activation in hand like a saxophone while playing a custom message like "Nerdy McNerdpants plays an eldritch tune on the wiggly thingy" or "Shittles the Clown plays a soulcrushing song on the purple doodad. 
  2. Artifact food, basically like the injector artifacts but one time only, maybe let them have rarer chemicals in them more often since they are one time only.
  3. Artifact organs/limbs, this one would probably need some spriting done but I'm thinking that after you activate the limb/organ it will play a message like "the mysterious thingamajig starts beating/inflating/grasping for things" so you can identify and replace the correct limb or organ. The new bodypart will have random changes like an arm that maybe does more damage but is more prone to flying off in an explosion or a heart that will heal toxin damage but will stop beating sooner when damaged. 
  4. Maybe a living artifact that will act like a random critter/mob, maybe it will fly around like a bee or maybe it will start eating you like a yeti.
  5. This has been suggested elsewhere but different convertor artifacts, like a monkey or drone converter. Maybe even random critter convertors so you become a sentient bee or mouse
These might be kinda shitty suggestions but I think that more variation will make artifact research more fun as you aren't dealing with mostly the same artifacts round after round. 

Any suggestions are welcome.
Make us able to scan with chemical analyzers how much of what chems are added in the bloodstream by injectors.
There are a bunch of artifact limb sprites sitting somewhere on the forum.... now to find them.

Edit:
Mageziya made artifact heart and eldritch limb sprites: http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=4746
an artifact that creates a clone of the next person that touches it that has a 50/50 chance of either being neutral or hostile

for extra creep factor you could occasionally have the one that pulls you inside release you as someone/thing else, maybe one that changes your species idk

actually we could get a lot more variety if we just added chances for different things that could happen with artifacts we already have
(09-20-2016, 01:49 AM)zewaka Wrote: There are a bunch of artifact limb sprites sitting somewhere on the forum.... now to find them.

Edit:
Mageziya made artifact heart and eldritch limb sprites: http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=4746

Those hearts look pretty damn cool and the eldritch limbs look awesome too.

(09-20-2016, 02:50 AM)poland spring Wrote: an artifact that creates a clone of the next person that touches it that has a 50/50 chance of either being neutral or hostile

It would be great if the hostile clone was shouting about impostors and other eldritch horrors while murdering you.
More artifacts. Artifact limbs with weird effects, organs with even weirder effects, I hadn't even thought of food or instruments. More converters would be fun too. I've pushed the idea of organ artifacts that give strange powers/disabilities/quirks for a while, partly because I love the surgery & modification system and think it could do much more (see: the blood thread).

EDIT: An idea for a pseudo-genetic power/limb power: eldritch limbs that can streeetch across the room to grab something/give something to somebody else/possibly hit or apply patches.
Copy arifact: Works like a prison artifact but anyone who touches it while someone is inside turns the person inside into them.
An artifact that turns you into a special ghost when you die. You're stuck observing the next person that touches the artifact. When they die, you both move onto the next person. You can only talk to the person you're observing, and other ghosts stuck on them.
artifacts that cause steadily expanding radiation fields when activated that have to be disposed of before they cause terrible chaos

handheld artifacts that bodyswap you with your target (on a huge cooldown I guess)
miscreant artifact: touching this artifact gives you a miscreant objective
Glad to see those sprites I made be mentioned again.

In retrospect, heartifacts are a little odd in that there's supposed to be a mystery to artifacts in that you don't know what they're supposed to do, while the heart shape tells you immediately that the artifact is a heart. Then again, while you know that the artifact is a heart, it sorta balances out in that you don't know what it hell it'll actually do once inside someone.

I also only made eldritch limbs because finding limb artifacts laying around felt a little odd, and your limbs turning into horrifying things felt right with the horror nature of eldritch artifacts. Unfortunately, I'm not in a situation right now where I can really sprite any of the other artifact limbs at the moment.

Also, artifacts are continually mentioned, but no one ever seems to want to implement them because adding new artifacts would involve touching artifact code, which I heard is old and a bit of a mess.

List of ideas for potential heartifact effects, feasibility of implementation uncertain.
Reminder that all of the listed ideas aren't meant to all occur at once, but are a potential effect akin to how current artifacts randomly hold one function. Of course, there might be some mix-matching at the moment due to how fuzzy things are.
Generic / for all: The default, boring heart benefit is a stamina increase. The default detraction is a stamina decrease.
All the heartifacts should probably have the risk of just doing nothing, though dropping dead should vary by the artifacts themselves.

Martian
Good:
-Mild health regen, specific or broad. (For example, heals only TOX damage, or only BURN damage, or ALL damage, etc.)
-Increase to maximum health.
-Change blood color
Bad:
-Permanent decrease to maximum health.
-Continually accruing toxin damage, requiring continual anti-toxin to mitigate.
-You become infected with Kuru or Gibbis

Neutral:
-Body is continually filled with a random (with some restraints) chem that has an effect on the body (So, medicines, drugs, and some poisons). Could be meth, could be sarin, who knows.

Eldritch
Good:
-Extreme increases to stamina.
-Increased movement speed.
-High stun resistance.
-Toxin immunity.
-Health regeneration.

Bad:
-You die and your body is consumed, preventing cloning or resurrection.
-You become infected with a randomly generated pathogen. (Problem with this: has the potential to wipe out the entire station if someone is unlucky.)

Neutral:
You sprout eldritch limbs!
-Congrats, you now move at treadmill speeds and do decent BRUTE and BLEED damage with your bare hands!
-If you're unlucky, you get the above functions of the limbs, but you are perpetually infected with beserker, or your blood stream is perpetually filled with rajijah.
-The limbs can be stolen and transplanted. Removal of limbs will not cure the rajijah or beserker.

Wizard
Good:
-Never risk cardiac failure.
-Anaerobic respiration.
-BURN resistance.
-Stamina and speed increases.
-Minor regen.

Bad:
-You die and turn into a blood golem.
-Beepsky and the securitrons now permanently have you marked as a wizard. Enjoy the living hell that wizards have to deal with, but without the ability to teleport through walls!

Ancient
Good:
-Impossible to incurr heart failure, like a cyber heart, but better at self-defibbing and not affected by EMP.
-Can talk on the robotic talk channel. As to how a heart accomplishes this, don't ask.

Bad:
-Its a fucking hunk of useless metal you dumb ass! it doesn't actually do anything! Get it replaced before you die.
-Nanomachines, son! you get borged.
-You go poof akin to an obsidian crown and leave behind a science ghost.

Neutral:
-You are perpetually injected with oil/weldingfuel/other odd chems. Useful until you set on fire.

Precursor

Probably similar to the Ancient artifacts. I'm out of ideas and time.

I've run out of ideas and time, but you get the idea at this. Feel free to tinker until we have a definite list to work with and a coder willing to sell their soul to artifact fuckery.

Edit: Touched up this mess of a post a bit, but still am lacking on ideas for some things.
(09-20-2016, 04:36 PM)Mageziya Wrote: Glad to see those sprites I made be mentioned again.

In retrospect, heartifacts are a little odd in that there's supposed to be a mystery to artifacts in that you don't know what they're supposed to do, while the heart shape tells you immediately that the artifact is a heart. Then again, while you know that the artifact is a heart, it sorta balances out in that you don't know what it hell it'll actually do once inside someone.

I also only made eldritch limbs because finding limb artifacts laying around felt a little odd, and your limbs turning into horrifying things felt right with the horror nature of eldritch artifacts. Unfortunately, I'm not in a situation right now where I can really sprite any of the other artifact limbs at the moment.

Also, artifacts are continually mentioned, but no one ever seems to want to implement them because adding new artifacts would involve touching artifact code, which I heard is old and a bit of a mess.

List of ideas for potential heartifact effects, feasibility of implementation uncertain.
Reminder that all of the listed ideas aren't meant to all occur at once, but are a potential effect akin to how current artifacts randomly hold one function. Of course, there might be some mix-matching at the moment due to how fuzzy things are.
Generic / for all: The default, boring heart benefit is a stamina increase. The default detraction is a stamina decrease.
All the heartifacts should probably have the risk of just doing nothing, though dropping dead should vary by the artifacts themselves.

Martian
Good:
-Mild health regen, specific or broad. (For example, heals only TOX damage, or only BURN damage, or ALL damage, etc.)
-Change blood color
Bad:

Neutral:
-Body is continually filled with a random (with some restraints) chem that has an effect on the body (So, medicines, drugs, and some poisons). Could be meth, could be sarin, who knows.

Eldritch
Good:
-High stun resistance.
-Toxin immunity.
-Health regeneration.

Bad:
-You become infected with a randomly generated pathogen. (Problem with this: has the potential to wipe out the entire station if someone is unlucky.)

Neutral:
-Congrats, you now move at treadmill speeds and do decent BRUTE and BLEED damage with your bare hands!
-If you're unlucky, you get the above functions of the limbs, but you are perpetually infected with beserker, or your blood stream is perpetually filled with rajijah.
-The limbs can be stolen and transplanted. Removal of limbs will not cure the rajijah or beserker.

Wizard
Good:
-Anaerobic respiration.
-BURN resistance.
-Minor regen.

Bad:
-Beepsky and the securitrons now permanently have you marked as a wizard. Enjoy the living hell that wizards have to deal with, but without the ability to teleport through walls!

Ancient
Good:
-Impossible to incurr heart failure, like a cyber heart, but better at self-defibbing and not affected by EMP.
-Can talk on the robotic talk channel. As to how a heart accomplishes this, don't ask.

Bad:
-Its a fucking hunk of useless metal you dumb ass! it doesn't actually do anything! Get it replaced before you die.

Neutral:
-You are perpetually injected with oil/weldingfuel/other odd chems. Useful until you set on fire.

Precursor

I've run out of ideas and time, but you get the idea at this. Feel free to tinker until we have a definite list to work with and a coder willing to sell their soul to artifact fuckery.

Edit: Touched up this mess of a post a bit, but still am lacking on ideas for some things.

I was thinking that heartifacts and organs should be contained in other artifact containers, then you'll need to activate them like regular artifacts to actually let them be transplantable.
(09-20-2016, 10:42 PM)grumpchkin Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 04:36 PM)Mageziya Wrote: Glad to see those sprites I made be mentioned again.

Martian
Good:
-Change blood color
Bad:

Neutral:

Eldritch
Good:
-High stun resistance.
-Toxin immunity.
-Health regeneration.

Bad:

Neutral:

Wizard
Good:
-Anaerobic respiration.
-BURN resistance.
-Minor regen.

Bad:

Ancient
Good:

Bad:

Neutral:

Precursor

I was thinking that heartifacts and organs should be contained in other artifact containers, then you'll need to activate them like regular artifacts to actually let them be transplantable.

Considering how often I get artifacts like these and they only ever contain power cell artifacts, this could be a really good addition
I think power cell artifacts are in a different class entirely than artifact containers. According to the wiki, powercells fall under the "Tiny" artifact category while larger artifacts like artbeakers and artguns fall under the "handheld size."

Heartifacts are really weird in that there's 2 layers of mystery to them if you need to activate their container first, but at the same time, once you reach the second layer of mystery where you have a heart, you know what you need to do to use it.

Also, now that I've had some thought, that list I made is a mess. The heartifacts should be like normal artifacts in that there are things that every artifact can be, but then each heartifact has only one or two special things that can happen with it; as opposed to the nightmare list where each one is independent.

I mean, all this is moot if a coder doesn't touch artifact code, but seeing as to how I've complicated everything to hell and back I don't blamed anyone for not touching heartifacts.

And then there's all the other suggestions in this thread that I've derailed. Sorry about that.
(09-20-2016, 11:30 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: An artifact that turns you into a special ghost when you die. You're stuck observing the next person that touches the artifact. When they die, you both move onto the next person. You can only talk to the person you're observing, and other ghosts stuck on them.

This doesn't sound quite as fun as it could be...

What if instead, you get pulled in. Then the next guy touches the artifact, and you steal his body, but he gets trapped in it. Then another guy comes along, touches it, gets HIS body stolen, and so on and so forth.