Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
misto tries spriting, also new trader portraits
now that i look at it, the pipe gun maybe looks too much like the riot launcher frown i will try to change it some
(05-11-2017, 06:27 PM)misto Wrote: now that i look at it, the pipe gun maybe looks too much like the riot launcher frown i will try to change it some

Looking over this, Misto, i think the reason why nothing has been done with this is because you haven't provided either the DMIs or clean images of the sprites in question so that we can MAKE DMIs
is clean image mean it needs transparency, or needs to be on the little naked man with his turnarounds, or both?
(05-12-2017, 09:50 AM)misto Wrote: is clean image mean it needs transparency, or needs to be on the little naked man with his turnarounds, or both?

A clean image is one that has transparency and is in the correct resolution. Preferably with the item in the correct location for the inhand character sprites etc.
im pretty sure the resolutions are in the 32x32 size, if not arranged neatly. so should i delete the human part of the images and have just the item floating there, and add transparency?
Convert them to a proper DMI file.

Open Byond, click the gear in the upper right, and click "Open Dream Maker."

From there, click File, then click "New Environment", this is effectively the folder where you'll store your sprites.

Then click File, then New. Where it says Type, select "Icon File (.dmi)"

A DMI file is a collage of various different images that you create. There are two types of sub-images in DMI files, the names of which I don't know. The color-palette button creates single sprite images, while the camera button allows for the creation of linked directional images (think the different directions for wearing clothes.), and also animations. Set #Frames to 1 if you don't want animations.

Byond also allows you to make images transparent, which is notably helpful.

Don't forget to label everything in your DMI file. When you're done, you should be able to upload the DMI like you would any other file.
thank u for this advices. so if i just chunk these current sprites into this dmi-ing aspect of byond and use it to make transparency it will be good enough? no need to remove the human part from the held sprites and things? and where do i place the ground sprite?
(05-12-2017, 04:44 PM)misto Wrote: thank u for this advices. so if i just chunk these current sprites into this dmi-ing aspect of byond and use it to make transparency it will be good enough? no need to remove the human part from the held sprites and things? and where do i place the ground sprite?

Get rid of the human part and the ground.

Every single sprite in the game is stored on its own seperate file, when they need to be used they're overlaid onto each other to give the illusion of it all being part of one sprite. This is why the transparency is important, because otherwise you'd just end up with it blotting everything else out. It'd look horrible.
ok. ppl may need to make final fine adjustments regarding the sprites positioning but now i kno wat i must do. thank u

oh, will i have to make it both right and left handed? how so? or will u be able to handle that detail?

and when i say "where do i put the ground sprite" i dont mean the actual ground, i mean what the item looks like when its laying on the ground/what it looks like in inventory, as opposed to how it looks like being held by the human sprite

.dmi   airgun.dmi (Size: 895 bytes / Downloads: 341)

.dmi   pipegun.dmi (Size: 637 bytes / Downloads: 330)

.dmi   wrenchclub.dmi (Size: 650 bytes / Downloads: 345)

hello over the night i couldnt sleep good, so i banged out some work on these dmi things trying to follow what u told me. im not sure if they all align perfectly with how the human body sprite would go, but it should mostly be just a question of shifting it around a little or changing the transparency a little.

im not sure if i should have made additional sets for how the things are held in each hand but wouldnt it just be a flipping of some other sprite present?

feedback? thoughts?

oh and i changed the pipe shotgun to try to make it look less like the riot launcher, download the dmi to get the sneek peek...
(05-13-2017, 02:49 AM)misto Wrote: im not sure if i should have made additional sets for how the things are held in each hand but wouldnt it just be a flipping of some other sprite present?

For the side-on views there needs to be a version of the sprite that cuts out where the person would be when they're holding it, because inhand sprites are always layered on top, but for front and rear views, yeah flipping would probably be fine
well, facing right with the item in your left hand would also be essentially a flip of facing left with it in right hand. and so on

so i should click the camera button again and make another set for the other hand, right?

as for removing a portion of the sprite for the hand, thank u for reminding me, i was wondering about how that was handled too. now to try to figure out just where... the hand used to be
Id suggest using the gun sprites in the goonstation release to get an idea of the positioning.
i should have just been loading up and editing those sprites from the start -_-
hello my friends. i just got done making many adjustments to some of the sprites and making left and right handed sets and etc. but now that i return to it after a break, dream maker thing is claiming it cannot read some of the dmi files i created any longer. it says for example "unable to read airgunlefthanded.dmi" how to fix this?

also do people still really feel that there is any need/demand for that wrench club thing