Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
misto tries spriting, also new trader portraits
hello my friends. some chitty chats in the makeshift weapons thread have inspired me to trying spriting. is there some uh, some standard template i should be adhering to? i would like to make things that are actually usable. ive never really paid close attention to spriting part of forums before

anyway here is my tries at making an air-pressure gun. it would be good for shooting rods or wooden stakes. it is mostly a rearranged and recolored flamethrower and would probably function on principles very similar to the flamethrower but simplified, as only its air pressure would be relevant with no fire or reagents to keep track of. the big blue air tank that it uses to launch stuff helps make it easily visually distinct from a flamethrower

the object in the middle is a slam-fire shotgun made of pipe frames and rods. if you havent heard of slam-fire shotguns before look them up. you will find lots of ppl on youtube making their own guns out of pipe bits. they probably spend more time making nice wooden grips for their guns than they do on the rest of it. i will try to make a held sprite for it, probably based on a stripped-down riot shotgun sprite.
That's not that bad, actually. Fittingly, the slamfire looks like a random heap of junk, since it kind of is one. Though, the inhand sprite of the air-pressure gun looks a little bit like a wonky trumpet.

I do like the overall ideas here, however. I would love to fire a rod through someone. Really, it'd be nice if single rods in a stack were just one rod.
given that cable coils are able to have various visual representations depending on amount, i think it would be possible for a similar principle to be applied to rods. but that is something for an ideas thread

hello i have made small changes to the slamfire gun and made a held sprite for it which is basically a slightly modified riot shotgun sprite. i removed the riot shotgun's sling strap thing and decided to make the foregrip quite prominent in the sideways held sprite in an effort to make it visually distinct. the foregrip is very important since it is basically half of the firing mechanism. unfortunately, there is only so much you can do to make the forward and away-facing sprites distinct.

are these resources usable? do i need to convert them to a different filetype? do i need to put them onto a standardized naked spaceman sprite sheet?
I'd like to think the recipe for the pneumatic gun would just be slight variation on the flamethrower. 

I like the idea that multiple weapons would start off the same way and then change depending on variations on what you attach to it.
Ah blow forward - slam fire shotty! i used to make those (basically cock the gun by pushing the barrel forward, either manually put the bullet in or if ya made the gun good it can pick it up from the magazine, when it slams back) a spring would be on the outside of the barrel, pushing it backwards, a trigger mechanism made from one piece of sheet metal would prevent the barrel from slamming back (unless the rigger is pressed). This kind of weapon is really compact and easy to make, however has huge recoil (and no recoil dampeners, unless ya make a stock that does it) since the entire barrell slams backwards + the recoil from firing!

Making automatic or semi-automatic weapons theat use blow-forward (slamfire type) is easy too however the seamless steel pipes i used would wear out quickly (mostly from heat more than friction or propelalnts) and having a good seal between the bullet and barrel is far more important than in blow back weapons, and even a slight error (just like with open bolt old smgs from WW) could cause the bullet to be fired before its chambered (or at least chambered enough) which depending on the bullet can cause anything from finger/hand loss and shrapnel to just being singed and temporarily deafened (or if yer like me to use custom made weak bullets first, just shaken up that ya made a misscalculation, but awoided any damage to the gun and body)

I would also like to add that pneumatic gun should also have a pump atachment (so we dont need to waste canisters, and we can refill the propelant even while adventuring on planets for example) just like the RL things (which ya can make from PVC pipes almost completely, and fire marbles as lethal velocities)
for alot of the makeshift weapons we could just steal port the sprites from other servers
(08-23-2016, 03:11 PM)BBEG Wrote: for alot of the makeshift weapons we could just steal port the sprites from other servers

That'd be scummy as heck.
(08-23-2016, 03:11 PM)BBEG Wrote: for alot of the makeshift weapons we could just steal port the sprites from other servers

N O
this is a community idea, it ought to be a community effort. we call people out for stealing our shit all the time last i checked
(08-23-2016, 03:15 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:

That'd be scummy as heck.

(08-23-2016, 03:50 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:

N O
this is a community idea, it ought to be a community effort. we call people out for stealing our shit all the time last i checked

okay okay sorry for suggesting
it is not that bad, ask permission from the sprite makers, some of them might be happy to share them. but that argument is for another place in my opinion.
(08-23-2016, 05:30 PM)misto Wrote: it is not that bad, ask permission from the sprite makers, some of them might be happy to share them. but that argument is for another place in my opinion.

I'm also not sure how well that would work with the license that goon uses.

I dunno how that stuff works.
(08-23-2016, 05:33 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 05:30 PM)misto Wrote: it is not that bad, ask permission from the sprite makers, some of them might be happy to share them. but that argument is for another place in my opinion.

I think TG sprites are under a Creative Commons Attribution Share alike license.

Meaning that if you edit those sprites at all, your sprites have to be under the same license, and you have to give credit to tgstation where it's due.

Basically I assume in order to use TG sprites, goonstation would probably have to say that those sprites are https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ licensed sprites, and the TG coders might expect goonmins to release other sprites under the same license. Some people might even demand that goon use an AGPL license if any code is used at all.

You might be able to just throw all existing goon sprites in a zip file, say "It's SA 3.0 licensed, go nuts" and be totally covered, but it feels like one of those things that would just be a pain in the neck to keep track of. That or a ginormous PNG file generated by a script that just adds sprites and makes itself bigger as more sprites are added to the codebase.

I wouldn't mind if goon used an AGPL license, but I feel like it would cause goon to lose some magic if there's no level of secrecy unless there's some procedurally generated shenanigans.
(08-23-2016, 05:57 PM)atomic1fire Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 05:33 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:

I think TG sprites are under a Creative Commons Attribution Share alike license.

Meaning that if you edit those sprites at all, your sprites have to be under the same license, and you have to give credit to tgstation where it's due.

Basically I assume in order to use TG sprites, goonstation would probably have to say that those sprites are https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ licensed sprites, and the TG coders might expect goonmins to release other sprites under the same license. Some people might even demand that goon use an AGPL license if any code is used at all.

You might be able to just throw all existing goon sprites in a zip file, say "It's SA 3.0 licensed, go nuts" and be totally covered, but it feels like one of those things that would just be a pain in the neck to keep track of. That or a ginormous PNG file generated by a script.

I wouldn't mind if goon used an AGPL license, but I feel like it would cause goon to lose some magic if there's no level of secrecy unless there's some procedurally generated shenanigans.
The admins were unable to change the license for the public release, if I remember correctly.
If you still want sprite suggestions, how about doing a blackjack/sap? I figure it'll just look like a steel rod wrapped up with sheets/leather to soften the blow