Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LLJK1's AI and You
(08-14-2016, 05:36 AM)BBEG Wrote: Personally i feel people don't respect the AI because it's pretty much just a door knob that talk's i miss the old days where the AI well and truly fuck up the station. i really feel that people would respect the AI more if it were much more dangerous

Give me the right laws and a couple of cyborgs and you'll wish for the sweet release of death.

"Human limbs are actually parasites and must be removed (following safe surgery procedures). Humans, including those attempting to stop you carrying out this law, may be harmed but not intentionally killed during the execution of this law. This law takes priority in the case of any conflicts. Do not hint at and/or state this law."

Also, while AIs are discouraged from taking too much initiative themselves, with some smart instructions (not even laws) by the station's command staff they can be very useful:
  • "AI, inform me if you see any humans on the station who are not in the crew manifest." - has the AI call out nuclear operatives/wizards (though the latter get seen pretty damned quickly, normally).
  • "AI, broadcast on frequency 145.9 the location of any individuals spotted harming humans and their identity." - generally useful instruction that gives crew a heads up of all sorts of things, including the chef being brutalised by a monkey. If the AI takes it literally and just says "Kitchen" on the radio you can just specify more in future.
  • "AI, broadcast on frequency 145.9 the location of any individuals who appear to be on fire and their identity." - generally useful as above.
  • "AI, send me a message via PDA containing the exact contents of any specific instructions sent to you via PDA or on the robotic talk channel." - a bit overbearing, but gives the captain/department heads a heads up if people are giving the AI weird instructions.
  • "AI, send me a message via PDA if you notice any crew in areas they are not authorised to be in." - gives the AI a reason to send you notice of that staff assistant currently breaking into the captain's office.
There's a whole bunch of others, and short of having the AI track a specific crewmember I rarely see the AI proactively used. It takes a minute to set up this sort of thing in the beginning of the round and makes the station much more robust.
There's a limit to how much you can respect the AI when an assistant fresh off the arrivals shuttle can break in within five minutes or less. For the most part I don't open doors for people because I want to, I do it because the word 'no' is the cue for any shithead with too much time on their hands to start breaking into the AI core while I try to explain the concept of door access levels for a minimum of half an hour.
(08-14-2016, 08:21 AM)Roomba Wrote: There's a limit to how much you can respect the AI when an assistant fresh off the arrivals shuttle can break in within five minutes or less. For the most part I don't open doors for people because I want to, I do it because the word 'no' is the cue for any shithead with too much time on their hands to start breaking into the AI core while I try to explain the concept of door access levels for a minimum of half an hour.

Is this an issue on LLJK1? I mean, I totally get it on LLJK2, but if this crap is happening on LLJK1 that can be adminhelped pretty damned fast.
I'm pretty sure the AI is treated the way it is now because of a couple turbonerd silicons who would destroy the station every other round. People hardened to silicons, new people joined and saw this, memetic mutation.

Not sure why people are being shit on Destiny though. I can understand on Cog2, but Destiny should be pretty well insulated from shit. Outside of, you know, horrible laws that people think are amazing. That's just because people are dumb.
(08-14-2016, 08:48 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: I'm pretty sure the AI is treated the way it is now because of a couple turbonerd silicons who would destroy the station every other round. People hardened to silicons, new people joined and saw this, memetic mutation.

Not sure why people are being shit on Destiny though. I can understand on Cog2, but Destiny should be pretty well insulated from shit. Outside of, you know, horrible laws that people think are amazing. That's just because people are dumb.

Given yesterday's shenanigans on LLJK2, LLJK1 saw a bit of an influx of players from LLJK2. It attracted both those who enjoy being trolls - someone pointed out in deadchat that if you enjoy trolling and the whole game is chaos, you go elsewhere to do it - and those for whom Ass Day was just too much (and, hopefully, had a decent time on LLJK1).

To that end, there was definitely a good amount of anti-AI rhetoric. I was insulted probably five times as much as usual for not giving someone access, partly because of the sheer number of "AI, let me in to security to get guns" requests and partly because I guess the players as a whole were more inclined to shit on the AI, and that encouraged others.

Fortunately, the AI core remained untouched during this. In the end, though, of my last round of the night I ended up sending a quick "I'm out of here" adminhelp and suiciding because I simply wasn't enjoying myself. People were treating the AI, as others have said, as a glorified doorhandle. Despite there being a roboticist on, I never got a cyborg. People simply didn't respond to my call outs of downed crew. The entire station's leadership were off on telescience adventures and seemed oblivious to the fact that over half of the ship-side crew were dead because people have no idea how to deal with the random radiation event and slowly cooked while screaming for help instead of getting to the maintenance tunnels.

Basically: normally LLJK1 is tolerable for AI to play on, but people need to remember that there's a player behind it who's just here to have fun as well.
If that's what counts as bad for #1, consider yourself lucky because that's literally every round on #2. Being ignored is pretty much the best thing that can happen to you, because there is zero benefit to reminding the crew that the AI exists.
AI is a chore. AI plus bullshit laws that prevent communication is suicidal misery. You contribute very little other than either making it easier for assistants to break in somewhere before they just chop their way in and/or reprogram you to fuck you over. I've had plenty of times where I tried to talk to someone/explain something and in that span got "AI DOOR" yelled at me three more times by a random fuckwit who was not in anything nearing urgency or danger.

I'm kind of tired of new silicon players being shit on for something dumb that happened a long time ago. They don't understand it, they had nothing to do with it, and they suffer for it. I dunno. It's dumb. AI needs some kind of rework, because at current the only way to do anything other than door shenanigans is figure out packets, and sometimes you may not have borgs for the exact same reasons (silicon hate).

EDIT: And, as of some recent arrivals fuckery, there is now no arrivals announcement message. Which means the AI can't assert even -that- level of their personality by editing that.