Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Start banning people who lag the server.
We've had a lot of rounds lately where people either feed mass produce paper to fill the loafer with items, or make a "dense prison loaf nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget nugget" and walk around the station eating it, or, in once case I saw, graviton accelerating it back and forth in a loop between two basket ball hoops. We've also been having people who, upon realizing that the Alert Button in the bridge makes lag, decided to push it as frequently as possible for shits and giggles.

This sort of intentionally lag making is awful and griefy and dumb. Can we please start having harsher punishments for this sort of thing?
I also posted something about this just a few minutes ago, http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=6839 something needs to be done as it's just getting bad.
The problem is that these people are not always aware they are causing lag.

We also need to stop assuming that mechanics causes all lag.
(07-29-2016, 05:58 PM)Arborinus Wrote: The problem is that these people are not always aware they are causing lag.

We also need to stop assuming that mechanics causes all lag.

This is basically my opinion on it. If somebody is intentionally doing something to troll the server then sure, but banning people who make unintentional lag is basically banning every good scientist, mechanic, bartender, chef, engineer, botanist, etc.

Not sure what happened to that explosion-lag fix tho. It was working great, but then it kinda went back to how it was without it.
Punishment/Complaints directed at individuals only in extreme cases IMO. Some fun things will produce a bit of lag. On the other hand the moment it becomes intentional grief or so awful the server is -literally- unplayable then some form of intervention might be necessary.

From a players perspective, I haven't noticed the lag being super super horrible (some spikes but w/e)
And, I know I was around for one of those nugget nugget nugget events and even then it wasn't that bad.
only ban them if they repeat doing it after being warned not to.

Warn them first.

But yes, warn them. Every time.
Agreed if the person has a history of lagging the server up they should get punished.
I'm all for giving warnings too. Honestly, that would probably even be enough for most cases, just an admin saying "Stop doing that, it's making too much lag."
If someone's intentionally lagging the server to hell and back, then, by all means, ban the ever fucking living shit out of them.

Otherwise, don't do anything besides advise them not to do it again.

Nobody LIKES lag, lag is usually a strong enough punishment on its own.
We already do this.

If somebody makes a round irreversibly laggy, crashes it and/or ignores warnings to not do the very laggy bad thing, they get time off.
[Image: laW6s6U.png]

So I made the mistake of right-clicking this...
And yes, that did take up my entire screen.

Also, can we discuss people who constantly do loafing every. single. round. It seems like a lot of people try to break it up, but others who discover it will do it every round they're on for, for days. I just feel it runs it into the ground, with the loafer being the worst offender.
(07-30-2016, 07:10 PM)69andahalf Wrote: [Image: laW6s6U.png]

So I made the mistake of right-clicking this...
And yes, that did take up my entire screen.

Also, can we discuss people who constantly do loafing every. single. round. It seems like a lot of people try to break it up, but others who discover it will do it every round they're on for, for days. I just feel it runs it into the ground, with the loafer being the worst offender.

Oh geez, is it the same guy who keeps setting up the automated loafing machine?
Yes, yes it is.
Resembles a less fun version of the broodwich. The problem you have with these is one person does it, then you have about a dozen copycats. If it's the same person then somebody just needs to yell at 'em. That and/or limit the amount recursive nuggetry.

That being said, I can't complain too much; I've done worse. Pretty sure that's the same for most regulars. It's just that you tend to stop after figuring 'Yeh... Yeh, this is shit.'
Potentially unpopular suggestion: move the loafer setup to the piping underneath security proper. Anyone who wants to spend the round unleashing a million strangelets has to contend with breaking into sec and setting up their autoloafer there.