Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of the Goonion: an onion divided against itself cannot stand + it's p laggy now
I've been wanting to write a post about this for a while now, but as of the past two months the server has been getting quite quite some intensive lag spikes and rounds where opening airlocks is becoming a chore instead of just something that happens.
  • Someone is using the loafer? Don't even try playing security because the lag will make playing it near impossible.
  • Chemistry is testing a cool new mixture? Don't even bother trying to move as it's near impossible to go anywhere when someone sets off various mixtures.
  • Toxins has set off canister bombs again? Don't even bother trying to get to escape as the lag will make sure you're death before you notice.
  • Someone dies and gibs? Let's just pray that he isn't near a window or a grille because the recursive throws will cause severe lag.
Goonstation is a unique and interesting server, I'm sad to see it slowly turn into a hot garbage mess of lag and tears, after MagicMountain his 510 scheduler update things where alright and great without too much lag, but as of recently it's been getting really really bad, and i think that we need to take a step back and look at some of the more recently introduced features and at least attempt to improve some of it, because I'm quite sure that I'm not the only one thats noticing this.

[Image: QfjU.png]

I'm not a coder, and i doubt that i ever will given my history. But I'm still trying to do my best to attempt and resolve some of the performance issues that are/used to be present in the opensource release. as seen herehere, and here it's not much but it's the best i can do as an outsider that has no further knowledge nor profiling results of things happening on #2 but something needs to be done otherwise it'll just become worse over time.

Please, let's at least try.
I blame the movement code rewrite. I also blame nannek and mport.
I hate to sound shitty and I'm sorry to Tobba if it does sound shitty, Cause Tobba has been working hard to fix all the issues and never got upset with all the complaints that came his way. But was the movement rewrite even needed? I mean it made alot of things worse. Walking in cold areas just got fixed and then the movement update happen and it's worse then it was before and being in crit makes you move like a slug in addition. The 40 FPS was nice but at what cost? I agree with Noah that the movement rewrite is to blame for most if not all these issues.

Now I know these type of updates get better in the long run and takes awhile to iron out all the issues and I would usually say "Coders should finish their projects instead of adding them to the game unfinished" But I understand that these type of reworks have to be added in as is to get a feel for what it breaks.

I hardly play now cause my PC is dying but when I do play I notice issues that are still here since day one the movement update was added. I can remain patient for them to get fix but as time goes on people will get annoyed that nothing has happen and I can't really blame them. Hopefully some insight is gained from this thread cause as Erik says if nothing gets done these issues will only get worse.
From the perspective of someone who hasn't played since September or so, the lag is much worse than it was then, and that seems pretty weird to me
Let's be fair though, general lag has improved exponentially throughout the last year, thanks to the coders.

It's the very reason I play again, I left because of the horrific lag, but no where else was home for me other than goon.

[Image: 7fewIJx.gif]
Would reducing the tick rate back to the level it was before the movement rework help at all?

I feel like it might serve as a stopgap measure until the root cause of this lag can be found and fixed.
I kind of miss having that other server to test shit out in what happened to that
(07-30-2016, 07:41 AM)poland spring Wrote: I kind of miss having that other server to test shit out in what happened to that

Not a high enough population to justify the cost.
(07-30-2016, 10:10 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(07-30-2016, 07:41 AM)poland spring Wrote: I kind of miss having that other server to test shit out in what happened to that

Not a high enough population to justify the cost.

What is the cost? Wire says that his server costs him about $60 a month, under that I think; but his "donation" setup https://www.gofundme.com/9hzx4yjs mandates credit card usage if you, like he and I, live in Canada. I have donated to him through other means. Rick meanwhile has people PM him. As a result our monthly donation flow is very, very low.

If we had a simple easy to use donation setup, and made it clear "hey, if we get $60 a month, we re-open the server" I'm confidant we'd hit $60 a month in no time.
(03-22-2016, 09:30 AM)Marquesas Wrote: I am disappointed that this thread is not titled State of the Goonion.
(07-30-2016, 04:59 PM)Vitatroll Wrote:
(03-22-2016, 09:30 AM)Marquesas Wrote: I am disappointed that this thread is not titled State of the Goonion.

This is asshat mcgee the assistant reporting live from the bridge where i'm going to attempt to steal the captains id while hes in the middle of giving his State of the Goonion address speech wish me luck.
(07-29-2016, 10:36 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: But was the movement rewrite even needed? I mean it made alot of things worse. Walking in cold areas just got fixed and then the movement update happen and it's worse then it was before and being in crit makes you move like a slug in addition. The 40 FPS was nice but at what cost? I agree with Noah that the movement rewrite is to blame for most if not all these issues.

The movement update fixed lag, fixed moving like a slug in crit and fixed a lot of other stuff beside. It is not at fault for the current lag.
(07-31-2016, 04:28 PM)Huff H Law Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 10:36 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: But was the movement rewrite even needed? I mean it made alot of things worse. Walking in cold areas just got fixed and then the movement update happen and it's worse then it was before and being in crit makes you move like a slug in addition. The 40 FPS was nice but at what cost? I agree with Noah that the movement rewrite is to blame for most if not all these issues.

The movement update fixed lag, fixed moving like a slug in crit and fixed a lot of other stuff beside. It is not at fault for the current lag.

I wasn't being serious about the movement rewrite, hence my mention of mport and nannek.

If anything, my guess would be that it has something to do with the deletion queue.
I know you weren't, Ed Venture was 100% serious, however.
(07-31-2016, 04:28 PM)Huff H Law Wrote: The movement update fixed lag, fixed moving like a slug in crit and fixed a lot of other stuff beside. It is not at fault for the current lag.

Last time I played which was around last week moving in crit was alot slower then it was before the update and my point still stands on cold movement.

The update most certainly did not fix lag though.