Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
doors are shit pls revert
Just to be clear, I created this thread with the fact that doors were changed to not being able to close on things and get wedged open (causing many problems) in mind, not the sprite change.
The AI should be able to remotely disable the safety wire. I mean i already hammer the ctrl-click trying to close doors on people as a rogue AI. Maybe make it work like hacking into AI disabled doors.
I'd prefer it be removed, but even if it stays I think it should be looked at. It can trigger even if you spend about 0.1 seconds actually standing in the doorway - you dash through, the door crush triggers, and suddenly you're lying on the other side of the room battered and stunned because a door halfway across the room closed on you.
(12-11-2016, 01:22 AM)Roomba Wrote: I'd prefer it be removed, but even if it stays I think it should be looked at. It can trigger even if you spend about 0.1 seconds actually standing in the doorway - you dash through, the door crush triggers, and suddenly you're lying on the other side of the room battered and stunned because a door halfway across the room closed on you.

this has happened to me like literally every time i get polymorphed. im not sure doors prevent closing on critters at all, they always seem to close first try on critters. please add a delay, after it rolls the chance to close on the person, not a very long one, but long enough you can run through a door without fear of death
I'm for keeping the crushing in. It happens rarely enough for it to be hilarious when it happens, especially when it happens to dions.
It would be handy dandy if when you were the one who opened the door a lil sprite you could click popped up over it that closed it
(07-28-2016, 07:56 PM)poland spring Wrote: I can't click the doors to close them anymore because the sprite is tiny as hell

This is still a issue today.
That problem could be fixed by adding a clickable 'bar' under the door sprite. For example: The east-facing glass airlock to crew quarters, right off of arrivals. If you click in the center of it, it opens and closes. No need to revert, that way.

The main problem I have with doors is that you can't close them on yerself anymore. It creates a bunch of problems.

(07-28-2016, 07:50 PM)Arborinus Wrote: Problems like:
  • Mobs and players are almost impossible to keep out now.
  • A lot of bugs
  • erasing goonstation history  frown

I'm not sure there's anybody who actually likes this function anymore.
Yeah the door crushing is just kind of irritating and causes a lot of meta problems on the whole
I've been gone since October and the door change still hasn't been reverted?

Jesus
keep door crushing but let people close doors on themselves i want to see the world burn
(01-27-2017, 05:47 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: That problem could be fixed by adding a clickable 'bar' under the door sprite. For example: The east-facing glass airlock to crew quarters, right off of arrivals. If you click in the center of it, it opens and closes. No need to revert, that way.

The main problem I have with doors is that you can't close them on yerself anymore. It creates a bunch of problems.

(07-28-2016, 07:50 PM)Arborinus Wrote: Problems like:
  • Mobs and players are almost impossible to keep out now.
  • A lot of bugs
  • erasing goonstation history  frown

I'm not sure there's anybody who actually likes this function anymore.

i like it and it makes combat more challenging
After the doors update and the safety wire was added, this was posted and the original problem was something and then things changed and other people who didn't care about the original problem seem to be complaining that the fix for the problem is itself a problem.
I have absolutely no idea who wants what.

Afaik, the natural state of the safety is OFF, so you can slam the door on your nose all you want, at the cost of some brute damage. A diligent engineer can fix all the doors.
I have noticed problems with clicking the sprite (for the Cog2 doors, the Destiny doors work fine) when the door is open, but I thought that was fixed. It should be a bug report if it isn't.

Being part of the problem here, but I think this thread needs to be closed.
Being someone who usually plays a bot/AI I can say that opening and closing doors is not "broken" but simply "pixel perfect". You need to click on the exact pixel to make it work.

However

I would like to be able to open and close doors and fire barriers without needing to be pixel perfect, no matter which direction the door is facing.
Whether you see it as a problem or feature, the element making doors hard to close is firelocks being drawn over them. If you wanted to make doors easier to close a solution would be to change them so they dont open/close in parellel (vertically closing firelocks on horizontal doors and vice versa).

As for the door crushing, I find it preferable to people being able to hold doors open indefinitely or stand on top of them when they close.