Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
add visual indicators for suffocation damage
My res is a bit too tiny to tell a difference in sprites beyond 'That guy looks like hamburger' anyways.

I just use examine-results and reason to ascertain health status of slow moving hamburger people. To me that's not really the point, though. Someone slowly turning blue as they rack up suffocation damage is just, as Arborinus stated, 'a very "space station 13 thing"'.
oh .. wait... by visual indicatiors you mean blue skin, that sounds like too much.

I thought you meant examining someone would tell you their skin is turning blue.
In that case I'd rather just have an examination for skin turning blue.

No need to blue sprites in my opinon.
A blue overlay isn't actually that hard to implement, i'd imagine it could borrow some code from the paint can and just apply it to that.
Although it'd just be for skin, rather than fully blue-ing someone, and wouldn't be good if it was smurf 100% blue, but an off white blue instead.

And i'd be against examining, because that just sounds too easy and is kind of redundant if you're a doctor as you're going to have prodocs on anyway. Having it visual means that if a player is suffocating and is wearing a gasmask + glove you aint going to know apart from the gasping, which is good, it's balanced. Seeing someone waltz into medbay visibly blue means you can fast treat them for oxygen deprivation.
(07-20-2016, 12:50 PM)Sundance Wrote: A blue overlay isn't actually that hard to implement, i'd imagine it could borrow some code from the paint can and just apply it to that.
Although it'd just be for skin, rather than fully blue-ing someone, and wouldn't be good if it was smurf 100% blue, but an off white blue instead.

And i'd be against examining, because that just sounds too easy and is kind of redundant if you're a doctor as you're going to have prodocs on anyway. Having it visual means that if a player is suffocating and is wearing a gasmask + glove you aint going to know apart from the gasping, which is good, it's balanced. Seeing someone waltz into medbay visibly blue means you can fast treat them for oxygen deprivation.

But if they're all covered up and laying on the floor you can see they're unconscious or dead, you can even see if they have a stupid expression on their face?

You can't have one without the other. If someone is suffocating then they're not just going to stand there and look normal, they'll be grasphing for their throat, trying to rip off their gas mask. It would be very noticable, and with a game like SS13 which a great deal of is text based descriptions I think this would help.
I was thinking that new skin code that lets you be any color could somehow be used. I haven't seen it used in anything but character customization, but maybe it can be done.
I'm on the fence about this.

On one hand, it'd be great for dealing with hullbreaches, but, on the other hand, it'd make a quite a few poisons less stealthy.
Poisoning is a long-standing pastime in SS13, but everyone is eager to find some nerf to hull breaches because they're so fuckin frustrating
It's not like everybody would be running around looking like a smurf because of a small hull breach. The overall effect would be minor and would require >150 oxy damage for it to even be noticeable. At least how I envision it. Kinda like initrobeedril, but less.

That being said, if it comes down to every corpse looking like a blueberry then I certainly do not want.

As for the balance of it all... if somebody is gasping then you check to see if you can CPR them. If you can, they're in crit, so epi. If you can't, then salbutamol. If Burn and Brute are fixed, and you're sure they should be out of Oxy Crit, then treat for Tox. It's not always Tox, but it usually is.

If you take round knowledge into consideration and apply ye ol' meta logic then it usually just takes a non-prodoc examine anyways. Maybe I've just played too much?
Toxins and suffocation damage go hand-in-hand in terms of poisoning. If you make either visible then you're ridding it from being stealthy.

We already have visual indicators for literally every damage type other than toxins - not everything needs to be spottable by vision.
Holy hell please make this a thing. I had countless times people let me die cause they could not figure out I was gasping for air. It's seriously annoying. This has made me spam the chat with "gasp" to get people to notice and I hate resorting to spamming so I don't die.
(07-16-2016, 11:48 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: Don't people gasp when taking suffocation damage already?

In my experience hardly anyone notices.
(07-21-2016, 12:16 AM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(07-16-2016, 11:48 AM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote: Don't people gasp when taking suffocation damage already?

In my experience hardly anyone notices.

If they're good medics, they shouldn't need to notice.

The very first thing you should do when treating a critical patient is to stabilise them with epinephrine and salbutamol/perfluorodecalin.