Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to Security Officer 202?
I honestly thought it was satire.
I think that is actually part of the problem: what's a joke to someone is serious business for, well, me in this case.

But to fix it, I will need specifics; I get that almost all of it needs to be changed, but I'd need some direction as to change each bit into. Forget about getting me a funny bone, I had that surgically removed for good reasons.
Quote:You have the right to remain silent, and I suggest YOU USE IT! You do NOT have the right to a fair trail or an Attorney. The beatings will continue until your bitching stops, regardless of of your state of health or innocence. The Crimes and the punishments that go with them are: Vandalism : Tasing and Humiliating labels. Berating Security Officers : Tasing. Berating Security Officers under duress : Tasing, with possible Beating. Complaining about being perma-brigged : unspecified amount (but not unlimited) of Brig-time Possession of Contraband items such as drugs or equipment above your station : Tasing and possible confiscation of items. Possession of Malicious items, like Flashes, rare equipment or low-key traitor items : confiscation & Brig-time up to 5 minutes. Possession of Dangerous items, including Taser guns, sublethal ammo, traitor items, superpowers without a licence : Beating, Brig-time, possible spacing. Possession of Lethal items, including Bombs, Laser- Phaser- or standard guns, dangerious chems or any Chems I don't know : Naked Spacing. Assault on an Officer : DEATH! Resisting arrest : DEATH! Threats of banning will be admin-helped, as per stipulation of rule 9. Not knowing what that means is a violation of rule 0 and may result in a ban. Have fun and welcome to our station.
1. The crew may not implicitly have the rights to a fair peer reviewed trial, but telling them to shut up and then telling them that they will not be treated fairly will only fan the fires.
2. Beatings are only necessary in certain situations like resisting arrest or the crewmember is being downright awful. 
3. Beatings should not carry on beyond the point where their state of health is at substantial risk. There's a thing called manslaughter and a sec officer is not above the law.
4. Tasing for vandalism is fine. A more subtle fine/ticket is also fine. Beware there is a difference between vandalism and destruction of property, the latter should result in an arrest.
5. Grow a backbone to berating. Berate them back, rather than beating them, you come across as short tempered. There's a difference between berating and slandering security by saying they are rogue; the latter should result in an arrest depending on circumstance.
6. Perma-brigging is not required 9/10,  that said if someone is being saucy about being arrested, upping the timer is good salt in the wound. But be controlled about it, don't up to 5:00 for every infraction.
7. Possession of syndicate items again does not always fall into beating. Sometimes if doesn't even fall into arrest. You are always to act upon intent. 
8. Possession of lethal weaponry; there are many ways one can get their hands on a bad stuff like guns/bombs/chemicals, it is again based on intent. When the intent is innocent, sometimes only confiscation is the only act. Naked spacing for that kind of shit is not kosher.
9. Assault on an officer =/= death. Too many things can warrant assault. Intention to murder, like all out shooting them to pieces then MAY require a death sentence, but it's always good to be diplomatic about being brutal, state your intention to the HoS or Captain, or better yet make it a public execution where it's known by everyone.
10. Resisting arrest =/= death. That's the line where I beat people, not outright murder them.
11. Keep the OOC out of IC at all possible, putting it in a miranda is a bad idea. If someone is telling you they are adminhelping you, just go "I don't know what you are talking about crazy person" and then continue about your job as it where, do not outright go "if you adminhelp me i'll adminhelp you" it's toxic.

Back to the drawing board with that grim.
Just saying Grim if you seriously act like that as a officer you most likely will get a HoS demoting you or a admin just job banning you. Don't play as a super serious security officer who spaces people for dumb reasons. Players like that have given Security a bad name for years, that it has JUST started to recover from.
(08-21-2016, 04:25 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Just saying Grim if you seriously act like that as a officer you most likely will get a HoS demoting you or a admin just job banning you. Don't play as a super serious security officer who spaces people for dumb reasons. Players like that have given Security a bad name for years, that it has JUST started to recover from.

agreed
that kind of "lol police state!! LOL" sort of behavior is exactly why security got such an awful fucking rap on pretty much every server, not just goon, and is part of the reason we had almost no sec until recently

terrible rude sec -> terrible rude everyone else, justified in part -> innocent/explorative sec get smashed down for what their department does -> nobody plays sec due to all the painful resistance -> nobody stops traitors or enforces the law

edit: also permabrigging is literally anti-fun because you can see escape, but will never reach it because the sec officer in question decided to be an anus; at least in suicide you can ghost; floorpills/hobo wine can have ALL SORTS of drugs and that shit is lying where anyone can get it for legitimate or illegitimate reasons (chemistry, poisoning)

when you assume you make an ass out of u and me
(i distinctly remember a time where i requested a sec officer's help with some packet stuff, and his pda exploded due to detomatix-- despite repeatedly showing him my pda and even removing my cart to show it wasn't detomatix he still flashed cuffed and paraded me around, and as it happened, DIDN'T WAIT FOR HIS FUCKIN HEARING TO RETURN after the explosion so i couldn't even defend myself properly)

edit edit: also no metashit jesus
(08-21-2016, 05:22 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: edit: also permabrigging is literally anti-fun because you can see escape, but will never reach it because the sec officer in question decided to be an anus

I still don't get why you guys hate permabrigging so much. Like, if you'd rather be executed, you can always just ask.
(08-20-2016, 11:59 PM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote: stuff
my tip on being a good sec officer is not murdering people for every petty crime. that is how sec got to be so ridiculed to the point it was today, so ease off on the cold blooded murder i guess
(08-21-2016, 05:52 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-21-2016, 05:22 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: edit: also permabrigging is literally anti-fun because you can see escape, but will never reach it because the sec officer in question decided to be an anus

I still don't get why you guys hate permabrigging so much. Like, if you'd rather be executed, you can always just ask.

I think it's because the type of people who permabrig people use it as a catch-all solution to any sort of crime. Few people are going to complain about a shotgun rampager or changeling being tossed in the brig indefinitely (and if they do they're not worth acknowledging), it's being left in the brig for the entire round because you broke a window that most people are thinking about.

also wow that miranda thing sure is uniquely awful
(07-12-2016, 07:25 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(07-12-2016, 05:12 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(07-12-2016, 04:48 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I've sometimes taken problem prisoners (usually confirmed traitors I've given already given a second chance) out to space somewhere and left them as a middle ground between permabrigging and killing them.

I figure, it gives them the chance to come up with an daring escape. One guy convinced someone to pick him up at the derelict station in exchange for traitor gear.

I don't get why permabrigging someone is frowned upon when exile to places like the ice moon is wholeheartedly encouraged.

Because if you are just going to lock a person in a room all round antag or not is boring and not fun. Your better off just killing the person instead of forcing them to do nothing (I argue there is more they can do as a ghost then a person locked away in a room). Exiling them to a planet or space is better cause they have a chance of getting back and gives them something to do while they are being punished they might even find some super weapon and come back for extreme revenge.

Perma brigging a antag is more boring then just killing them in my opinion.

That being said if you have a good enough reason to perma brig someone then who am I to tell you "No you can't do that" cause you can. Who knows despite what I said and think something Funny, fun and awesome can come from it. Every seasoned Security player has their own way of doing things and that's fine as long as you are not breaking any rules in the process.

I and countless people have explained why it's "Bad" to you in this very thread (See Page 2). It's not the worst thing I think a officer can do to someone but I do think it's one of the most boring things one can do.
(08-21-2016, 06:13 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(07-12-2016, 07:25 PM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(07-12-2016, 05:12 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(07-12-2016, 04:48 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I've sometimes taken problem prisoners (usually confirmed traitors I've given already given a second chance) out to space somewhere and left them as a middle ground between permabrigging and killing them.

I figure, it gives them the chance to come up with an daring escape. One guy convinced someone to pick him up at the derelict station in exchange for traitor gear.

I don't get why permabrigging someone is frowned upon when exile to places like the ice moon is wholeheartedly encouraged.

Because if you are just going to lock a person in a room all round antag or not is boring and not fun. Your better off just killing the person instead of forcing them to do nothing (I argue there is more they can do as a ghost then a person locked away in a room). Exiling them to a planet or space is better cause they have a chance of getting back and gives them something to do while they are being punished they might even find some super weapon and come back for extreme revenge.

Perma brigging a antag is more boring then just killing them in my opinion.

That being said if you have a good enough reason to perma brig someone then who am I to tell you "No you can't do that" cause you can. Who knows despite what I said and think something Funny, fun and awesome can come from it. Every seasoned Security player has their own way of doing things and that's fine as long as you are not breaking any rules in the process.

I and countless people have explained why it's "Bad" to you in this very thread (See Page 2). It's not the worst thing I think a officer can do to someone but I do think it's one of the most boring things one can do.

Oh wow, this thread has gone on for so long I didn't even realize this was the same thread  D'oh!
Permabrigging is so shitty because it's basically "stay in there and don't play the game". If permabrigged with no end in sight I will just commit suicide because it's more exciting to watch the round play out from something other than a small rectangle of space. Misuse of it is annoying, and I feel like creative execution or even just spacing would be preferable. At least that way I'm given an actual death sentence, rather than "ok game's over go home".

Exile to the ice moon is CREATIVE. It's INTERESTING. People have even survived that and gotten back. But the brig has no specific way to leave, and if you're the only traitor/have no mindslave/AI to help you out, you're donezo. There's no way I know of to break out of the brig without outside tools given to you (tables behind the windows, etc).

Being put in THE RECTANGLE is not creative. It is not interesting. It is just THE RECTANGLE. The closest I've ever gotten to escaping without being let out was gambling and planning to bribe the officers.

EDIT WHILE WRITING: Yeah okay Ed Venture said most of this already but still. permabrig is generally just unfun
if you have someone so captive that you can permabrig them, why not do something cool
fuck, even just put them in the electric chair but don't put them in THE RECTANGLE

EDIT2: Being permabrigged even in a deliberate roleplay round and knowing the whole cool story was playing out around me was miserable and I only got out due to admin chicanery. If I'm of capacity to bomb places AS TRAITOR (see: TTV telescience bombing) I will go for the brig first because I think any extended sentence is an annoying gameplay mechanic and short sentences are a waste of time to profile and lock someone up. Losing all your agency permanently is not fun and it's not even challenging, unlike survival on Ice Fuck. It's just anti-fun. It's the active REFUSAL of interesting gameplay from that point forward.
There's a few ways to break out of genpop IIRC. Solitary is a no.

Honestly I'd rather be permabrigged than killed. I might be able to use the radio to get a fellow antag or some poor dumb fool to help me out. If I fucked up and got caught despite my overwhelming advantage then I don't expect to be pandered to.

Though I do see permabrigging on the same level as execution.
If you're going to permabrig someone, might be more humane to just borg them. Or yeah, dunk them into the Ice Moon. Something where you can still get something out of the round while still being punished for doing something.
Don't send people to the Ice Moon, the admins don't like it.
(08-22-2016, 02:26 AM)Grek Wrote: Don't send people to the Ice Moon, the admins don't like it.

If they are a antag you can do whatever you want to them.