Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
remove dedicated blob rounds
I am a big fan of blob and would like to be able to speak as blob.
(06-29-2016, 08:55 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 08:52 AM)Wire Wrote: I hate rev but like spy (and also blob).

I feel pretty much the same way.

A competent blob is fun to fight, and spy rings allow for group gimmicks that no other mode allows.

gimmicks such as being a horrible drawn out team deathmatch gamemode

rev 4 lyfe
I love blob rounds, both defending and offending
I find blob rounds boring, both defending and offending. But if others enjoy it then I don't think it should be removed.
(06-29-2016, 07:56 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I find blob rounds boring, both defending and offending. But if others enjoy it then I don't think it should be removed.

I'm more concerned about blob ROUNDS, I don't see a problem with blobs popping up here and there as late joining blobs chosen from the dead.

But rounds specifically for blobs? Eh, No thanks.

You hear people shout "blobbb!" over the radio 1-5 minutes in and you instantly know to drop what you're doing and don't bother because either the blobs will destroy everything or the shuttle will be called in the next 5 minutes ending the round on a massive downer.

[Image: giphy.gif]
I might be in the minority in liking pure blob rounds, more in concept than actually playing them though. Unlike most of the big obvious antags like syndies and wizards, everyone can contribute in ways beyond 'cannon fodder', even if it's just whacking the nearest bit with a welder.

Also I honestly think pure blob rounds are the only situation in which blob vs crew is balanced if the blob has any experience blobbing at all. Late-joining blobs often have an advantage in spawning in wrecked areas where none of the crew will find them and corpses no one bothered to clean up. And as for mixed rounds, blobs are hard enough to fight without dealing with a rampaging wizard or ling on top of them, both of which are round-ending threats on their own.
i am bumping this thread
rather than remove blob id rather it be tweaked. theres not quite enough back-and-forth struggle with blobs, usually either they get caught early and snuffed out or they have enough time/lazy crew to grow strong enough to be nearly unstoppable with little middle ground

traitors, changelings, vampires, even wraiths you can have some chases, some struggles, trickery and mischief. with blobs youre either laying siege to an encircled foe or fighting hopeless delaying actions

unfortunately im low on ideas for how to tweak it.

i guess it would be nice if absorbed bodies werent utterly unclonable and unborgable. then body retrieval from the guts of a blob could result in a re-bolstering of your forces and promote more struggle. maybe rather than digesting and destroying people, the blob could assimilate their bodies into its structure, making rescue a valid option.

this could even open the door to the blob being able to communicate via the trapped bodies and headsets of its assimilated people
(08-12-2016, 04:45 PM)misto Wrote: i guess it would be nice if absorbed bodies werent utterly unclonable and unborgable. then body retrieval from the guts of a blob could result in a re-bolstering of your forces and promote more struggle. maybe rather than digesting and destroying people, the blob could assimilate their bodies into its structure, making rescue a valid option.

this could even open the door to the blob being able to communicate via the trapped bodies and headsets of its assimilated people

YES
Just keep dedicated blob rounds, and increase the limit of tiles it needs to grow before it wins.
(08-12-2016, 06:01 PM)ErikHanson Wrote: Just keep dedicated blob rounds, and increase the limit of tiles it needs to grow before it wins.
That wouldn't fix anything, it would just keep the drawn out shitfest going for longer.
I agree with removing blob only rounds, a lot of the time people are like "this round I will learn X" then as soon as they start, round over due to blob dying. I certainly hate it when I get a role I like then bam, blob only round, bam round over.
Just destroy anything that grows from the nucleus, it will prevent the round from ending. And speak to the blob with simple yes-no questions. Everytime I play blob, I try to be pacifist and uncaught, because a blob seen is 'a danger to the entire crew', no matter what it does. Usually players attack me first, then I counter-attack.
building on my earlier thoughts, since assimilated crew being rescuable is a plain buff to the crew, blobs should get something in exchange.

you know that rapid growth you get at the start of your blob life? that could be something that, rather than being time-limited, is size-limited. youre denser and not as spread out. thus a besieged, surrounded, injured blob will receive a burst of strength to try to turn the tide with, again promoting more back-and-forth struggle.

oh yeah, and it would be cool if blobs could stealthily spread thru mail/disposal pipes
(08-12-2016, 11:35 PM)misto Wrote: building on my earlier thoughts, since assimilated crew being rescuable is a plain buff to the crew, blobs should get something in exchange.

you know that rapid growth you get at the start of your blob life? that could be something that, rather than being time-limited, is size-limited. youre denser and not as spread out. thus a besieged, surrounded, injured blob will receive a burst of strength to try to turn the tide with, again promoting more back-and-forth struggle.

oh yeah, and it would be cool if blobs could stealthily spread thru mail/disposal pipes

The starting bonus is size based, you get like 40 tiles to spread for free I think.