Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lategame wraith options
Sorry about my fuckup thread. Anyway, yeah, I'd like more ways the wraiths can fuck with people and make things sp00ky, a lot of the poltergeist stuff can be chalked up to coincidence/etc. like lights messing up and PDAs. Maybe higher level wraiths could do more overt scary shit like Blood Wall
I'd like wraiths to have the ability to scare critters, which could make them hostile to people or just run and hide in a corner. I think it would make things more atmospheric if, for example, the bees all start freaking out right before everything goes all spoopy. Also nthing the blood walls and other stuff. Maybe make it like the wizard's old corruption power.
Time for a probably unpopular opinion.

Honestly - if wraith functionality is to be increased (new skills, cds or what not), you need to add more ways in which people can actually try and resist or fight the wraith.

Wraiths are currently on the impossible-to-fight tier, meaning the crew has to more or less play cat and mouse with it for the whole round. Salt distribution and production methods are nerfed to the point where unless the wraith screws up royally, nothing can harm it. It would probably be more fun for both parties if they could actively clash with one another more often.
I share the opinion if talks go to making wraith more powerful. Wraith is powerful enough. It could certainly use more 'aw this isn't very murderous but hey it's super spooky and I have points to spend''-type powers.

My wraithbusting method is:

1) Run to derelict and hope for art beaker.
2) If art beaker: salt and camp medbay.
3) If no art beaker: Gauge whether or not bored enough to grab a ecto eye or void goggles.
4) If bored enough: Get them, become number one salty pounded wraith producer in quadrant; a high value commodity. That or shake fist at wraith for hiding on space tiles, etc.
5) If not bored enough: Run around screaming, whacking at anything that looks the least bit spooky. I think I like this bit the best.

As far as I'm aware, this is about the only way to approach wraith fighting.

I actually thought salt did direct damage to the wraith instead of just rendering them corporeal. I was wrong. Not sure how I feel about that.
Admittedly, in that round I only lost by random chance. I got salted and beat up once inside a wall, then I just hung on the front of the shuttle so nobody could hit me. Losing all my shit was a pretty good punishment for getting whacked though.

Anyway, in favor of point sinks. Wraith is probably a fine amount of deadly for how hard it is to kill, and could be affected both ways at once, but having nothing to do with 841828 points is just doofy. I want to make the station a nightmare realm! At least remove the Poltergeist cooldown or something, it fundamentally can't do damage or be practical in its current state.
maybe the ability to make shit rusty. there are already rust decals ingame that you see on the walls in maint tunnels sometimes. making shit rusty is scary, right? like silent hill. and it can mess with the floor tile appearance. maybe summon scary sound effects. and make lights dim and flickery
Chaplains used to be able to consecrate areas that had been corrupted by Wizards, maybe something like that
various other superstition-related items such as garlic, holy water, horseshoes, could be applied to fucking with wraiths if they dont already

i always wished there was a bit of silverware or silver jewelry around that could be brought out/melted down into weapons in the case of werewolves, and some folks like to consider silver a generalized anti-supernatural metal

jones and any other cats found around could possibly help, cats are sometimes considered wards against evil spirits

maybe the chapel could have some holy incense to burn, and some traders could offer extra, or it could be craftable by growing pot infused with holy water
Some upgrades, I'm thinking about cooldown reduction, but it's not just limited to that, could, instead of costing a fixed amount of wraith points, could be bought using generation.

So you sacrifice generation for shorter cooldowns. And wr

That way you have to think about what you'll upgrade, if you should buy another upgrade even though generation might get too low, if you should not get many upgrades to keep enough wraith points at all time, etc.