Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Security Thread 4.0: Oh no
I did the thing. http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=6365
(05-09-2016, 10:21 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 09:25 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: A better option would be a gate near the brig they have to pass through that generates a list of everything on them, barring hidden or stealth items (a sleepy pen being identified as just a normal pen)

This is what I was thinking of.

If they get implemented, I hope mechanics can scan them. That way, I could run my own space TSA by placing a couple at the shuttle's doors.

Okay yeah, I thought you meant those little wand scanners. I was thinking, with a gate, have it synched up with a console that just gives you the location of gates, and a list of the last couple of people that went through. Click names to bring up what they had on them, arranged in an indexing list. Maybe items could be flagged as either harmless, potentially dangerous to let then keep in the brig but not illegal, and contraband for any obvious traitor gear or things added to the contraband list.

One thing about setting up multiple checkpoints, you could use them to track traffic flow through the station offhandly and track people. Like, if you're looking for a specific person and they pass through a sequence of checkpoints, you could guess which direction they're heading in and where they are currently likely to be.

And traitors can always use stealth storage to get around being scanned, though I think using the crafting and materials system to build lead boxes or something that can't be scanned through could be interesting.
(05-09-2016, 12:39 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 10:21 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 09:25 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: SOME WORDS
WORDS
MORE WORDS

Yes! Get me sprites and i'll get you your scanners big grin
I hope i don't come off as annoying by re-suggesting an idea, but I realize that on my previous post I didn't manage to write out my thoughts very well. I've also re-hashed the usage a bit. Feel free to disregard -- I don't feel like my ideas are special and I don't have any feelings riding on whether or not they get adopted.

I've refined my idea about an item that security could have on hand that would serve as a !Request Backup! beacon-

Perhaps a sticker much like a star-trek style com-link, (or a life-alert remote for the elderly)
Except its purpose is to be clipped onto an officer (like a sticker, but could be a small item usable in pockets).

Its usage would be - Officer clicks on the sticker on his own body --> yields a distress call on the sec radio channel, gives location (and officer name?) with a simple message like "Backup Requested" Serves to get other officers on scene to render assistance or hold back anybody that would interfere with an arrest.

It would be neat if the officer could use this item to call for help even if they were on the ground - I.E. slipped on a wet floor or got stunned/tazed. Obviously they shouldnt be able to use this item if they're asleep or cuffed or otherwise incapacitated beyond just being on the ground.
(05-09-2016, 09:25 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Searching doesn't take that long. Just empty their pockets,  bag, and belt if they have one. Click drag any boxes inside to yourself. Confiscate anything illegal, or that they can use to get out of a cell. Shouldn't take more than 30 seconds.

If you really wanna get crazy, you can check each item individually for stealth storage or deringers, but that's really going the extra step.

I dunno. A scanner could speed the process up, but a hand one might make it too easy to random check people in the halls. A better option would be a gate near the brig they have to pass through that generates a list of everything on them, barring hidden or stealth items (a sleepy pen being identified as just a normal pen)

I'd suggest scanner goggles. It has two modes: detailed scan and cursory scan. The former spits out a generalized list of what the target is carrying. It has a few downsides though. It takes a moment to scan (only about a two or three seconds), so you can't move and neither can the target while its doing its work. It makes the visor light up bright green or something for a moment. It can't differentiate between the clowns trick revolver, a real revolver, or the Russian revolver or items that look the same. Cursory mode works when you attempt a scan and you move or your target moves. It'll only tell if they're carrying something in there pockets and backpack and if any of them are large and metallic so a pipe bomb registers the same as an oxygen tank in a backpack.

This also means you can be flashed since you can't wear sunglasses since they take an eye slot. EMP grenades and emags scramble the scanner so it'll never pick up traitor items. The chameleon projector or suit should allow you to spoof an items signature to fool the scanners.
(05-08-2016, 06:16 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I've come to noticed that Security threads start off nice and then quickly turn into a toxic mess of people just complaining about anything and everything
I literally started this thread by just blindly griping about players.
(05-08-2016, 06:16 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: I've come to noticed that Security threads start off nice and then quickly turn into a toxic mess of people just complaining about anything and everything about the job and all discussion on what items, changes and things that can make the job easier just stops. The sad part is that every security thread turns into this.

Next time at least read the full sentence or maybe the entire post. I made it pretty clear I was talking about the people who complain about security and security players cause of the way they get treated by them and how they jump into every security thread just to whine. Most of these people don't even or never have played security yet they believe they know more then long time players of the job (just look at the "unwhitelist HoS" people) People just jump to the conclusion that the officers are shit and the admins play favorites so said "shit security" never get in trouble. They never stop to think about why they get treated the way they do in a round by security and they are never the ones in the wrong. That was part of what I was talking about compared to your post complaining about people who wait out their sentence with no fuss.

(05-06-2016, 10:58 AM)Huff H Law Wrote: And another thing that really grinds my gears: people that get arrested and then just stand there, doing nothing for the entire sentence! At least complain to the crew over the radio or talk to someone over the radio, jeeze.

Seeing how this was your first post in this thread I am guess this is what you meant by "blindly griping about players"
All I want to say is I miss getting lynched every round for mugging people and stealing shoes and wetting floors
(05-13-2016, 09:24 PM)RAWK_LAWBSTAR Wrote:
(05-09-2016, 09:25 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Searching doesn't take that long. Just empty their pockets,  bag, and belt if they have one. Click drag any boxes inside to yourself. Confiscate anything illegal, or that they can use to get out of a cell. Shouldn't take more than 30 seconds.

If you really wanna get crazy, you can check each item individually for stealth storage or deringers, but that's really going the extra step.

I dunno. A scanner could speed the process up, but a hand one might make it too easy to random check people in the halls. A better option would be a gate near the brig they have to pass through that generates a list of everything on them, barring hidden or stealth items (a sleepy pen being identified as just a normal pen)

I'd suggest scanner goggles. It has two modes: detailed scan and cursory scan. The former spits out a generalized list of what the target is carrying. It has a few downsides though. It takes a moment to scan (only about a two or three seconds), so you can't move and neither can the target while its doing its work. It makes the visor light up bright green or something for a moment. It can't differentiate between the clowns trick revolver, a real revolver, or the Russian revolver or items that look the same. Cursory mode works when you attempt a scan and you move or your target moves. It'll only tell if they're carrying something in there pockets and backpack and if any of them are large and metallic so a pipe bomb registers the same as an oxygen tank in a backpack.

This also means you can be flashed since you can't wear sunglasses since they take an eye slot. EMP grenades and emags scramble the scanner so it'll never pick up traitor items. The chameleon projector or suit should allow you to spoof an items signature to fool the scanners.

What about glasses similar to the pro-docs? Perhaps with a coloured shield icon in the corner of a player's sprite, with a graduating scheme of colours depending on their security record and what they are carrying. For example, a guy whose not cleared for firearms holding a gun, or other contraband like traitor items would have a red icon, which signifies arrest. People cleared for guns could have a yellow icon whilst carrying weapons, with orange for people with prior offences/tickets and stuff. Give the glasses an upgrade like the Pro-Docs that allows the wearer to see the contents of backpacks and pockets when a person is examined at close range. They could make the security records actually useful, as those marked for arrest would show up as a red icon for anyone wearing the glasses.
I dunno, I'd say it's pretty easy to search someone if you're into powergaming: Take their pants off. Nearly everything but their backpack just slides right onto the floor, including their pockets full of grenades and emags.

I'd say that such a device wouldn't do much other than lead to more dorks carrying around Russian revolvers and pens. I always just assume that most of the nerds sliding around are packing some kind of wmd, and the ones that don't just have it hidden somewhere; searching everyone that the device says had something threatening would be a waste of time.

It might lead to giving sec a reason to search someone other than that they're a clown, but by the time searches become necessary, they usually either already have one or just make one up.

And if it's a pair of glasses, guess who's getting robusted with stuff I found I found in a closet.

Showing alert and arrest status to all officers would be a great thing though, maybe as something built into security headsets. Maybe also give them something like those implants that tell medbay that their cloned tourist kicked the bucket, but instead it would tell all of security that officer Wingus just got toolboxed in the port starboard maintainance closet.
(05-23-2016, 02:25 PM)Superlagg Wrote: I dunno, I'd say it's pretty easy to search someone if you're into powergaming: Take their pants off. Nearly everything but their backpack just slides right onto the floor, including their pockets full of grenades and emags.

That may make it faster sure but it takes just as long if not longer to put every little thing they have back on their person.
Upgrade module for thermals, please. Shows Arrest Status in the upper right (to avoid conflicts with ProDoc eyeballs) and forensics data on examination. I don't care about backpack contents or anything like that, just give me my ranged forensics back.
(05-23-2016, 02:46 PM)Grek Wrote: Upgrade module for thermals, please. Shows Arrest Status in the upper right (to avoid conflicts with ProDoc eyeballs) and forensics data on examination. I don't care about backpack contents or anything like that, just give me my ranged forensics back.

I LOVE THIS IDEA.
(05-23-2016, 02:46 PM)Grek Wrote: Upgrade module for thermals, please. Shows Arrest Status in the upper right (to avoid conflicts with ProDoc eyeballs) and forensics data on examination. I don't care about backpack contents or anything like that, just give me my ranged forensics back.

Holy shit a use for thermals that doesn't make them absolutely broken.

Yes.
Yeah, thermals upgrades sound good.

As for scanning, Gannets made a nice sprite for gate ones, so it'd be a shame not to use em. They could just go off on contraband and maybe ping pdas