Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Semi-Public Access Genetics Booth
what if the Porta-Gene had to be remote controlled and/or was obnoxiously slow to move so running off with it would be a pain
that or toggleable floor bolts for it, the geneticist could lock it in place and they could be beaten up to steal their ID and un-lock it

still I like this general idea
(07-11-2016, 09:24 AM)Mageziya Wrote: Part of the problem with the porta-gene was the non-geneticists were also stealing them and running off with them. Regardless of who stole them, people took them to the depths of maintenance to privately work on them, and seeing as to how big maintenance is on Cog2, most restrictions wouldn't work in making the porta-gene feasible.

Besides, the geneticists never entered the porta-gene themselves, they just shoved a monkey into them.

(07-11-2016, 10:01 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote: what if the Porta-Gene had to be remote controlled and/or was obnoxiously slow to move so running off with it would be a pain
that or toggleable floor bolts for it, the geneticist could lock it in place and they could be beaten up to steal their ID and un-lock it

still I like this general idea

What if the porta-gene had both remotely toggleable floor bolts and a remote teleport feature like the port-a-nanomed?
They could be access-restricted and anchor-toggled. People would still disappear with em'. The only way to fix that is to restrict them to certain high traffic zones. The marketplace would probably be the main example - the bar would be another. I can't really think of an IC reason for that but eh. It essentially works out to the same public access model.

The real problem comes from impetus (or lack thereof) and how genetics works. It takes around 20 minutes (with no funding) of shuffling and poking humanized monkeys before you have enough research tiers done to do anything interesting. It usually takes another 10-20 minutes of searching/chromefarming to get enough genes to make anything interesting. To top it off, outside of HCDNA, there's no real reason to invite anyone into genetics. Actually, it tends to get you eaten, mugged, etc.

As Noah stated, you need a reason to make geneticists interact with people. As it stands, interacting with people just gets in the way of their job outside of HCDNA. Maybe make scanning a living, player-inhabited human instant? Their injectors/activators given lower cooldown? Special chromosomes that can become any type? I dunno, but right now it's basically rigged for geneticists to act how they act.

You know, I meant to write about 3 sentences but I'm fighting through a headache. I apologize if this is horrible off topic, but I'm just gonna send it before I roll up into my bed and curl into fetal position.
(07-11-2016, 10:23 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: I apologize
You are pretty much on point though. The problem with genetics isn't the just (lack off)accessibility. My experience is that any reliance on other players is a huge problem. Enticing geneticist to use player test-subjects will do little to make them interact with the station; The risk of is too great.
That and genes don't need any more buffs.

Giving the geneticists a huge infrastructure isn't going to get them out of the lab.

Honestly, I think a simple gene-console in the main corridor 'no research, no injectors, just check your own genes and make activators' and a chute to send spent activators to the lab would improve things more than forcing the geneticists to 'interact'.
pay money for your own activators
then you have to go to the geneticists if you want THE REAL POWER
Actually, now that I think about it, why not just make it so activators don't give any bonuses if you used them on a former monkey.

They currently only filter out current monkeys, not former monkeys.
(07-14-2016, 08:58 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Actually, now that I think about it, why not just make it so activators don't give any bonuses if you used them on a former monkey.

I think that is a terrible idea! The only way to make anything worthwhile is to recycle activators. With that plan, instead of enticing interaction, you are forcing it down their throats!
Allowing a booth/vending machine to sell activators is a good idea, but forcing dependency on other players right from the start of the gene tech tree is the one thing  I do NOT want!
(07-14-2016, 09:20 AM)The Grim Sleeper Wrote:
(07-14-2016, 08:58 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Actually, now that I think about it, why not just make it so activators don't give any bonuses if you used them on a former monkey.

I think that is a terrible idea! The only way to make anything worthwhile is to recycle activators. With that plan, instead of enticing interaction, you are  forcing it down their throats!
Allowing a booth/vending machine to sell activators is a good idea, but forcing dependency on other players right from the start of the gene tech tree is the one thing  I do NOT want!

I also just realized that it wouldn't even work since they could just steal shitty bill and company and use them instead of monkeys.

I guess the original plan is still probably the best.
set up a qm-request-console like station where people can input the powers theyd like to receive. there can be some default prices set that the geneticist can alter as they please. the person can choose to pre-pay rather than pay-on-delivery in an effort to get their desired genes faster because the funds will go straight into research dept. funds. they will be pda'd on desired gene research completion so they should know to come get modified. this console also scans in the person's genome and adds it to the genetics research list as they're essentially volunteering.

this is
1 a use for money
2 a way to help research get funding
3 a way to encourage genetics interacting with and powering up people in a quest to get money

everybody wins

if youre worried about people being stingy, make pre-pay the only option, or half up front and half at delivery rather than full payment on delivery

if they request something thats already researched it takes their payment and alerts them to report for modifying right away. the geneticist should also be receiving alerts regarding these requests and payments as theyre directly linked to their dept funds
I like the idea of people bribing the geneticists for priority treatment. But I like that to be more of an under-the-table deal, much like how a HoP might take bribes for access upgrades or how botany can sell weed.
So I think the money shouldn't go into the budget.