Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Some brig suggestions I guess
I think improving the brig with crystal glass and other materials is actually a job miners/engineers could do to make themselves useful. I can't help but feel this takes away another potential thing that they could be doing to make their time constructive and fun. Then again, this is already possible and I don't know of any miners ever doing this. Maybe its something that could go on the wiki page as a suggestion to new miners?
I called this thread becoming security thread 4.0!

Yeah no idea why people hate vigilantes. But then again this isn't the thread about that now is it.

This is the thread about that: http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=6349

Also I guess I kind of fucked up, here's the half of the post EdVenture made replying to frod:

(05-06-2016, 10:22 AM)Ed Venture Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 08:45 AM)frod Wrote:
(05-05-2016, 10:04 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: One last thing all I really want is these windows being added. Then my biggest issue will be solved.

The gen pop cell should be relatively easy to break out of. Making it fort fucking knox is a shit idea. We want to encourage criming for traitors and not a situation of complete lockdown.

A table or two and a glass window is fine. Its also good to have a wall against maint tunnela ve.
Except for one I said I don't want the brig to be impossible to escape from. Another thing there are other ways besides the way i mentioned to escape the brig then the one I had a issue with. The one I have a issue with is far too easy and requires the least amount of effort to do. It's also the only way I've seen people use since I've come back. I just think you should have to try and escape security is all.
The problem is that security officers just use the solitary cells anyway which are actually fort fucking knox.
Hufflaw I just got done fixing the post and now it's gone.

Oops at least half of it is back. I'll redo the rest at home. Fuck phone posting and for the record I only started using solitary cells after I got sick of people either attempting to break out though the table or getting away that way. EDIT: I see the post was moved once you added a link to your post so disregard what I said. Thank you.
My biggest issue with the brig is that it doesn't offer many opportunities for alternative punishments. The solitary cells are really more like holding cells. You keep people in there while you're processing them, and then you move them to a larger, more ethical cell for the actual sentence. Unfortunately, the only other cell available is the relatively insecure general population cell.

I think there needs to be at least two other types of brig based punishment available, optionally three.

1. A long-term detention center. Basically the same as the genpop cell, but with all the windows leading out to space. Maybe include some bare bones hydroponics supplies in case the prisoners want to lessen their sentence via community service
  2. A true solitary confinement cell, like the old HoS exclusive padded cell back on mushroom. Mainly serves as an alternative to execution
  3. Not a cell, per se, but having a version of the stocks or pillory that can be locked on a timer like a cell would be great. Have the crew pelt the prisoner with tomatoes and laugh.
Well, I tried a little re-mapping of security which basically ended on flipping it on it's head, but I tried to include some of the more common sentiments mentioned in this thread.
  • I didn't mess with the actual general population cell itself too much. IMO if security is doing a proper job then it's impossible to escape. If they leave you with tools then they're dumb and deserve a broken cell.
  • I added the 2x2 cells with toilets and intercoms. They can act as full isolation cells as I put in blast doors under the windows which are operated with the buttons on the wall.
  • I added a more specific visiting area where a guard could actually take you to and seat you, which is more useful now there's no windows looking out onto the hall from the brig.
  • I hopefully made the release room a bit easier to understand. As it stands, all the cells lead there with the lockers like normal, and the doors are security guard access only. The chute and disposal unit both lead to the ejection pipe so you can't mess up there either. Basically no more belts to get lost on.
  • I had to move the interview room inside security and make it a lot smaller which I'm not too sure on how it looks, but it works. This also meant that the entrance to belt hell is a lot smaller, but since it's used so little I don't see a big issue with it.
  • Hanger is the same, just reversed.

Here's the actual picture (excuse the DM view, I'm lazy frown):
[Image: Gis4Fpp.png]

Please feel free to leave suggestions, edit the picture, hunt me down on IRC, etc.

Generally I tried to keep it as vanilla as possible as I dunno if it's my call to add a ton of new stuff to an area as import as the brig without a lot of discussion, so let that influence you're suggestions.
The interior interrogation room is a lot better, in my opinion.

It needs to be small like that.
[Image: nGihdBi.png]
Some further suggestions 69, I really like the change, so haphazardly included some of my own ideas slapped on, color coded for ease. 
Purple: Move the meeting room down to the genpop area. It serves no purpose up there, and that room below also serves zero purpose so it's not like you're going to be missing anything. Include crystal glass maybe? Maybe not?
Yellow: Maint will need to be rejigged so it's not going through the meeting room. No biggie i guess.
Green: Move the small cells to the right where the meeting room is. Perhaps make them 2x3 with glass in-between both cells? 
Red: Extend the podbay to the right, so that it now spawns with 2 pods. Seriously, why does sec only start with one pod in this map.
Blue: Not *exactly* related to sec, but a great boon to everyone, incorporate a pod beacon to the west of here, so that if security choose to fly out, that there not going to be stuck.

Aside: I still think the brig monkey is a good idea.
Wait, unless I'm missing something here. Wasn't the whole point of separating the meeting room from the genpop cell was because it was a problem? Like, the basis of those changes, such as putting genpop at the bottom, was to separate it from the meeting room. Just tacking it back onto the genpop would just cause the problem to be unresolved, it's just at the bottom of sec now.
(05-07-2016, 07:00 AM)Mageziya Wrote: Wait, unless I'm missing something here. Wasn't the whole point of separating the meeting room from the genpop cell was because it was a problem? Like, the basis of those changes, such as putting genpop at the bottom, was to separate it from the meeting room. Just tacking it back onto the genpop would just cause the problem to be unresolved, it's just at the bottom of sec now.

I found the solution to be just adding some blast doors which can be closed from outside by security if they so choose. If anyone tries to break out, or if it's broken then they can just close them and seal up the brig.
Progress!

Changes and Stuff:
  • I shifted over the two isolation cells to make room for the double pod bay.
  • Added a security hanger beacon, not sure if cog ever wanted them in the middle of the station but it's there now.
  • Added back in beepsky's house, somehow I forgot about it! NegativeMan
  • Moved the visiting center back down to the general population brig, but I have added some blast doors which start open and the guards can close if they are feeling mean.
  • Hooty now lives at the front desk, mean old HoS kept him locked in the office.

Snap:
[Image: Q8QmQBK.png]
This is cool, but it ruins the station symmetry by adding two tiles instead of space left of the lower airbridge.
(05-07-2016, 09:30 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: This is cool, but it ruins the station symmetry by adding two tiles instead of space left of the lower airbridge.

It greatly pained me  Sad eng101

I made it better:
[Image: 5CY6kwm.png]
Genpop is still way too easy to bust out of:
1. Pick up one of the visitation chairs and throw it repeatedly at the rightmost and second rightmost genpop windows until you smash through.
2. Flush yourself down the disposals pipe. This will put you on the table.
3. Walk across the table, through the broken window and into the parole chute just outside genpop.
Except now you can break out of solitary using the same method.
i feel that the brig doesnt promote passerby to gawk at and mock prisoners enough, please address this
(05-07-2016, 11:26 PM)misto Wrote: i feel that the brig doesnt promote passerby to gawk at and mock prisoners enough, please address this

Add buttons in the viewing area for harassing the people in the cell