Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Makeshift weapons
what is sand but tiny rocks. mining breaks up big rocks into tiny rocks all the time. that is where you get your sand
(08-18-2016, 04:30 PM)misto Wrote: what is sand but tiny rocks. mining breaks up big rocks into tiny rocks all the time. that is where you get your sand

I have another mining related idea, when you oversmelt something using the arc smelter it ends up crumbling away to nothing. Instead of that, we can just have it crumble into a pile of dust instead, which you can then throw into peoples faces.

You could also have it so that piles of ash work.

Also, i think that instead of picking it up like normal you should have to click drag it into your pocket and then click drag it onto the other person to throw it in their face
perhaps jones could also have a litterbox of litter to hurl into peoples faces too
(08-18-2016, 05:11 PM)misto Wrote: perhaps jones could also have a litterbox of litter to hurl into peoples faces too

only if you can use it to clean up irradiated tiles
I'm all for janky bullshit weapons cobbled together-- imagine the heads dead so the staff assistants band together to take down the traitor with ramshackle pieces of garbage and numbers. Hard-to-reload things could just be a timed process a la building instead of instant reloads.

I still think slightly more decent weapons (hammers etc. as suggested on the materials thread) should be possible but take more fucking with & expensive materials/bars/etc. so that mainly engineering and mining would be natural users/able to access it
re skin the rockit launcher as a blunderbuss imo I wanna shoot people with eggs
Random Zip Gun related thought: What if, instead of having a 10% chance to explode every time you used them, they had 1d20 uses before they exploded? The more you use them, the more likely they are to go boom. But if you keep changing them out, you'll probably be fine.

E: Math.

5% chance it explodes on the first shot, 95% chance you can shoot it safely once.

5.2% chance it explodes on the second shot (assuming it survived the first) and 90% chance two shots is safe.

6.25% chance it explodes on the 4th shot, 80% chance four shots is safe.

7.14% chance it explodes on the 6th shot, 70% chance six shots is safe.

10% chance it explodes on the 10th shot, 50% chance ten shots is safe.

50% chance it explodes on the 19th shot, 5% chance 19 shots is safe.
I personally think exploding is a bit harsh a punishment for using a rigged up gun. It's game ending if you are in a firefight.

Instead let it have a chance of literally backfiring, hitting you with what ever is loaded. Pretty bad, but only game ending if you are already severely damaged/have low stamina
(08-18-2016, 06:51 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I'm all for janky bullshit weapons cobbled together-- imagine the heads dead so the staff assistants band together to take down the traitor with ramshackle pieces of garbage and numbers. Hard-to-reload things could just be a timed process a la building instead of instant reloads.

I still think slightly more decent weapons (hammers etc. as suggested on the materials thread) should be possible but take more fucking with & expensive materials/bars/etc. so that mainly engineering and mining would be natural users/able to access it

I can totally see a wizard or a horror form changeling just strolling into a crowded place expecting to get a lot of easy kills only for them to look on in terror as literally everyone pulls out some kind of weapon and go to town on them.
(08-19-2016, 05:31 AM)Sundance Wrote: I personally think exploding is a bit harsh a punishment for using a rigged up gun. It's game ending if you are in a firefight.

Instead let it have a chance of literally backfiring, hitting you with what ever is loaded. Pretty bad, but only game ending if you are already severely damaged/have low stamina

The code's already there in the form of the trick revolver and you'd think twice before, well, trying to fire an incendiary grenade into a crowd. get in not go out
I think it would make more sense if instead of a huge explosion it just shot shrapnel off in random directions, including back at you
Why instead of making weapons backfire, make them wear out after some use (example firearms would need barrel replacement, unless ya want it to break and hurt ya a bit (but not to blow off like a bomb, just enough to hurt ya) we could use any explosive material for propelants (plasma, welder fuel, some volatile ores) and we could craft custom ammo (at least for shotguns, which ammo is easy to customize IRL), we already have flareguns, which are sadly HARD to obtain... (and can be used as a one shooter shotgun)...

We could make flareguns a secret item in general manufacturer, and it already uses shotgun ammo as is, but makeshift ammo at workbenches would give it various uses, from weak explosive and pyro shots (pyro shots being standard flare) to extinguishing, or freezing shots... (basically ya craft the empty shell then fill it with a propellant,and then with the projectile). Custom ammo would enable to make a lot of alternatives to immobilize (example a cryo filled projectile that freezes someone into an ice cube) or a battery+wire (re-usable projectile after recharging) for stun shots. Flaregun should also fit into pockets (its small thing afterall), its basically a safe to use one-shooter that uses 12g shells with the downside being ya gotta reload after each damn shot, and ammo takes time and resources to make (unless ya wanna pay a fortune to the vendor we already got) we should maybe add the flaregun to the vendors selling list for 1k (so its affordable)

I think goonstation needs a bit more balance when it comes to improvized items... on most servers any improvized item that takes time and effort to make (anythin on the level of the flamethrower) is safe to use but usually its ammo requres a lot of hassle (railguns and crossbows using rods for example, blunderbusses and air cannons could use anything but propelants (fuel or air) while easy to obtain would be drained in about 5-10 shots)

We should add maces! (i made one IRL from a threaded rod, nuts and washers, perfect for a one-handed 33cm long weapon that i can easily repair or take apart, yet can bash skulls in one hit) Basically maces should be a good bludgeon weapon that can be made with rods and sheets of metal, wery good vs head and limbs (a hit or two in the head even with armor on should be a knockout) that fit in a backpack! While maces would be good for actual hurting and killing we should also add clubs for knocking out (unless spiked in which case they cause bleeding) in other words a trench club... a melee weapon that does little brute damage, but depletes stamina (and causes bleeding if spiked) which would give peeps an alternative to stun-batons for example!

I dont know if we can make small self-recharging cells but they should be a thing!
especially in adventures and space exploration i want to have a laser-gun that recharges itself (even if it has a small capacity i rather fire a few shots, duck and cover, wait for a recharge to fire one more, than have to run for it back to station to recharge!) or at least make the guns be able to replace cells like magazines! (actually a thing on many servers) or even both (put a fresh self-recharging cell in gun while the other one recharges in yer backpack)
Or we could simply make a dynamo which when cranked charges its capacitors (basically spam click the device in yer hand) and then we click on the cell/tool/weapon to charge it, OR put the tool/weapon/cell into the device then crank it, OR hold the device and /weapon/cell/tool and crank the device

We could also maybe make a weapon that has a crank-dynamo built into it!
we could basically copy the antique lasergun mechanic (we just make a frame which is a resprite of the antique) and maybe make it crankable via right click (takes one second for 10 energy) this way mining would get more atention for the resources, workbench gets used more, and space exploration doesnt require stealing or such just to get a ranged weapon that can deal with robots and shades quickly! (we could add to the recipe the flash as light source for the laser)

OR another idea... a dynamo-cell assembly (basically a cell with a device inbuilt that can be recharged via cranking) it can be a big cell or small cell wery useful for space exploration, and can be used in tools (small cells)

We could make the crank-gen with static stats (example 10 energy per second of cranking) or material dependent! (better the materials better the performance)
device could be made outta rods and sheets and wire (static version) or from specialized parts made at workbench like crank , dynamo/small generator (must be from conductive material alloy) and shell/frame

Another idea is Liquid Fuel Generator (LFG for short) basically generators that produce little power but use liquid fuel, and are good enough for powering a room or charge a battery/APC slowly! Any flamable liquid can be used (especially welder fuel) this would encourage people to go into space and make their own mini stations! I myself wanted to make my own small station in space (be it making it from scratch or occupy existing derelicts) to avoid the chaos on the station...
Not to mention this makeshift version would be helpful when station is unpowered and ya cant order the experimental gen (which uses a plasma canister for fuel) to get some power goin (especially if solars are fucked or ya dont know to wire them)! The LFG would constantly burn fuel to create power when on, would have to be wrenched on a knot wire (which would be conected to APC to power a room for example) All parts would be hand-crafted and made on a workbench!
I kinda like the idea of flareguns being retooled into a variable-purpose single shot pistol. Like a shotgun derringer thing.

You could take one route with it and make high-power shells blow the dumb thing apart (i.e. only one shot ever if you use shotgun rounds)
(08-19-2016, 03:51 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I kinda like the idea of flareguns being retooled into a variable-purpose single shot pistol. Like a shotgun derringer thing.

You could take one route with it and make high-power shells blow the dumb thing apart (i.e. only one shot ever if you use shotgun rounds)

Fun fact: you can load any type of shotgun ammunition into a flare gun already.
(08-19-2016, 03:54 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(08-19-2016, 03:51 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: I kinda like the idea of flareguns being retooled into a variable-purpose single shot pistol. Like a shotgun derringer thing.

Fun fact: you can load any type of shotgun ammunition into a flare gun already.

oh yeah you can, can't you
huh neat