Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Apparently someone just released gooncode on reddit...
(03-02-2016, 08:01 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: I'm trying to find more information on this if anyone has a link they're willing to share. From what I'm gathering someone tried to get money for the code to not be released? If so, that's extortion and is most certainly a criminal offense.
Pretty sure Erik offered $400 to the guy to not release it. I don't think he ever asked for money.
Sheesh. Excuse my tone but what a clusterfuck. /:

My heart goes out to Erik and his bank account. I can see how this is quite disheartening for the admins and coding team.
Erik offered a bitcoin in return for exclusive access so that no one else could download it, and the bitcoin was paid. Beyond that I do not know what happened.
Well I've finally had a chance to look at the situation since yesterday. I'm going to leave this here.

It's happened. That's it. The best situation right now might be to quarantine certain secret items like secret chems and work out everything. I say at the least keep the server closed source. No reason to keep it opensourced, as that will just drain what talent is left after this. I'm really curious though, I want to see what the actual coders have to say about the situation.

I suppose the biggest tragedy of this all is Cogwerks. He spent 2 years making a map and not even 3 months of it being out did pass before this happened. Considering what he was going through in making the map, we need to find a way to make it up to him.

What's amazing in all of this is that is shows how vile the outer-SS13 "community" really is. No, I'm not talking about the leaker, people like that always exist in some capacity. Some of the anti-goon responses by people are insane, to the point where they're having a bigger reaction than actual goon players. Some servers seriously can't figure out why other bases don't like them. Everyone was expecting this to be "golden", the toppling of the mighty, evil goon tyrants, except that none of that happened.

Goon seems to be stuck in its old reputation. People think its no different than how it was in 2011. The ultimate irony is in the way that people are acting, it seems to match the old description of goon much more. People have become the thing that they claim they aren't. We could make a compilation of things people have said to us, vs what we have said, in an attempt to prove this point, but that wouldn't accomplish anything.

The best we can do is hope to make a good impression on people. This event might even draw in more people who previously didn't care about goon, but I doubt it.

In the end, goon was the best community, and still is. It won't die from this. Nothing was technically lost, yet everything. Today isn't the day this community dies. Hopefully we'll become something better from this.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SS13/comments/4...tion_team/

As for the general SS13 community, I am pretty sure they have become much more supportive than they were when I started playing. That's not to say we don't recieve abuse, but there have been plenty of people giving us sympathy.
(03-02-2016, 08:46 AM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: Erik offered a bitcoin in return for exclusive access so that no one else could download it, and the bitcoin was paid. Beyond that I do not know what happened.

I was going to post a reply earlier, and it has been bugging me since, but are you simply making an unbased claim that he offered money for exclusive access? It's no secret that he did probably pay the hacker, but do you have anything to back up the claim that he was trying to pay for "exclusive access"?
I'm still disappointed that Erik didn't pay 15$ and a giftcard for a hotdog.
Quote:My heart goes out to Erik and his bank account. I can see how this is quite disheartening for the admins and coding team.

I initially bought the BTC for $10 a few years ago, no big loss.
(03-02-2016, 03:12 PM)69andahalf Wrote:
(03-02-2016, 08:46 AM)TheNewTeddy Wrote: Erik offered a bitcoin in return for exclusive access so that no one else could download it, and the bitcoin was paid. Beyond that I do not know what happened.

I was going to post a reply earlier, and it has been bugging me since, but are you simply making an unbased claim that he offered money for exclusive access? It's no secret that he did probably pay the hacker, but do you have anything to back up the claim that he was trying to pay for "exclusive access"?
0xCSRF  himself said that erik wanted the code exclusively for his own things. There is no proof that this isn't a lie thought
And on that note: The hacker, presumably, is hacking every Reddit account that they can that even mildly insults them and isn't goon-based. They then have been making posts to the subreddit with the hacked accounts with titles like "Haha I am X and am so dumb and my password is something stupid like 12345". The hacker is basically scum and is intentionally trying to ruin, or at the very least, deeply upset people. This is probably because they're upset that they haven't made as many people upset as they'd like to, but either way you cannot trust anything that they say.
My previous comment about it being 'highly fucking illegal' was based around the thought that he used some scriptkiddie method like a keylogger or something. I really, really did not expect an active pass to be in the dump.

A keylogger or some similar method would be like trespassing onto one's property, going up to their window, taking a nude pic of them sleeping, then posting it on the internet. No physical damage, no stolen property (depends on definition), but it's still a victim-based crime. The distinction between victim and victimless crimes are pretty sharp.
(03-02-2016, 03:12 PM)69andahalf Wrote:

No.
(03-02-2016, 03:22 PM)ErikHanson Wrote:
Quote:My heart goes out to Erik and his bank account. I can see how this is quite disheartening for the admins and coding team.

Coincidentally that could buy at least one burger king chili dog.
(03-02-2016, 07:19 PM)atomic1fire Wrote:
(03-02-2016, 03:22 PM)ErikHanson Wrote:

Coincidentally that could buy at least one burger king chili dog.

Maybe more?
[20:13] (cogwerks) someone let him know i am really not at all bothered by this