Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Goonstation Diaries 2.0
Anyone remember the old Goonstation Diaries thread?
If you don't let me give you a quick primer.
Basically, you have a round where multiple people record their perspective.
After the round, they hand off the footage to an editing dude who basically makes a sports commentary game out of it.
Then it's uploaded to youtube or whatever.

What's cool about it though, is that each person would have a different perspective on the round.
Say you have a security officer, a traitor staff assistant inspiring a riot, and a doctor.
The security officer would think its a crazy hectic round trying to put down riots.
The traitor staff assistant would think its a round going perfectly as planned and cackling evilly.
Meanwhile the doctor might just see corpses come in sometimes and think it's a chill round otherwise.

So anyways, I'm looking to actually do it since it kinda sputtered out/failed last time.
I can make a basic guide on how to setup recording software if needed as well. Ursula has expressed interest also, he was the one who brought it up to me.

And after the round, I'll make a way to vote what times in the round were the most interesting slash ones you want to include in the video.
(Sundance, if you want me to rename it just tell me)
Still like the idea, still up for doing it.
That sounds fun as fuck, count me in.
This sounds incredibly fun, if you need another recorder, don't forget me!
Question 
You mean exactly like this?

I'm not saying anything, but it looks pretty similar to that.

Other than that, it's a awesome idea, and I'd love to see it!
(02-25-2016, 08:32 AM)Carlarc Wrote: You mean exactly like this?

I'm not saying anything, but it looks pretty similar to that.

Other than that, it's a awesome idea, and I'd love to see it!
Basically, yeah. Except for the voting on the favorite moments and possibly more people.
It's not really a new idea. I've seen this idea coming from minecraft let's players such as the yogscast filming different perspectives as far back as 2011-2012ish.
If someone can help me get a recording thing up, sure. I own FRAPS, but it's a memory hog.
Yeah, I only have fraps as well, Teddy. This could be fun. It's going to need a little prep with getting g everyone to record with similar settings (fps, aspect ratio, etc.).

IMAGINE an entire round where everyone's perspective is being recorded!

Also, I'd like to put forth a vote that this be done on Destiny... please. 
(02-25-2016, 12:26 PM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Yeah, I only have fraps as well, Teddy. This could be fun. It's going to need a little prep with getting g everyone to record with similar settings (fps, aspect ratio, etc.).

I'd like to know your reasoning for it to be on destiny. I am personally not a RP fan, but if you have a good reason, i'll be fine.
If it's on destiny, I won't be participating. I like RP but not that map.
I'd love to do this, but...

I have no experience in recording at all, have no recording software, am unsure of how to even share the recording (Though I'm assuming that's simple.), and haven't had much time to play recently.

Also, if I do somehow manage to record, I'd, if possible, intentionally avoid recording audio, because when I play this game I tend to listen to what can only be described as ~fresh trash.~

About Normal vs Destiny, I feel like standard Goon would better encompass the game, especially a large round with multiple people, at least for a first run. If the first one is successful, and maybe even if it's not, people could then try and organize a round of this on Destiny and see how it goes. No reason to do only one server.

Edit: I feel like the best way to do this is wing it. Set a date a week or two away, give help with recording up until then, have everyone record on a round, then pool their recordings in a public place. This is the kind of thing where the more effort and organization is attempted the more, ironically, that it falls apart. More specifically, that it gets delayed to hell and back. At the very least, if the recordings are public, if the head editor somehow can't finish it then others can give it their own try.
(02-25-2016, 03:51 PM)Mageziya Wrote: I'd love to do this, but...

I have no experience in recording at all, have no recording software, am unsure of how to even share the recording (Though I'm assuming that's simple.), and haven't had much to to play recently.

Also, if I do somehow manage to record, I'd, if possible, intentionally avoid recording audio, because when I play this game I tend to listen to what can only be described as ~fresh trash.~

About Normal vs Destiny, I feel like standard Goon would better encompass the game, especially a large round with multiple people, at least for a first run. If the first one is successful, and maybe even if it's not, people could then try and organize a round of this on Destiny and see how it goes. No reason to do only one server.

Edit: I feel like the best way to do this is wing it. Set a date a week or two away, give help with recording up until then, have everyone record on a round, then pool their recordings in a public place. This is the kind of thing where the more effort and organization is attempted the more, ironically, that it falls apart. More specifically, that it gets delayed to hell and back. At the very least, if the recordings are public, if the head editor somehow can't finish it then others can give it their own try.

I fully agree. Perhaps we can all decide on a date, preferably a weekend.
Hey so I created a form to fill out as far as dates and times go (also the map since y'all care).
Link Here
Be sure to convert the times to GMT, and then I should be able to sort out some basic scheduling.
I'll also make a tutorial for setting up recording software, I would prefer if you use OBS (It's free) and record in a 16:9 aspect ratio (1920x1080 for example) but I'll explain that all in the video.
(02-25-2016, 02:13 PM)robertmanbob Wrote:
(02-25-2016, 12:26 PM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Yeah, I only have fraps as well, Teddy. This could be fun. It's going to need a little prep with getting g everyone to record with similar settings (fps, aspect ratio, etc.).

I'd like to know your reasoning for it to be on destiny. I am personally not a RP fan, but if you have a good reason, i'll be fine.

My main reason: not enough people playing on the server.

Other than that, I feel the RP facilitates better player interaction and with a smaller map you'll actually have interaction between people recording without meta game knowledge of who's who. I've had rounds on cog2 where I don't see anyone.

Also, if it's possible to get the admins in on it, events on Destiny are the perfect opportunity for something like this to occur. Granted it could be interesting seeing a regular round on cog2 play out from different perspectives but an event round on Destiny would give it a driven story line and something for everyone to be working toward.

You'd still see different play styles and approaches to the situation and have the traitor/sec dynamic.

By no means am I opposed to it being on cog2, just think Destiny could use some love and lends itself to a story developing.
(02-26-2016, 08:25 AM)atamusvaleo Wrote: snip

I believe it is more of a choice of the editor at this point, a round on destiny is going to last longer than a round on cog 2, and going through everyone's view would get pretty boring.