Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
GoonStation Diaries
So this is a concept I was throwing about in my mind a while back, but never really got to pitch because my computer broke, and the computer I had was a PoS vista that couldn't even process BYOND without crashing.
Now that'll I'll be gettin' a new laptop I've decided that I'm going to try this concept again, and that is GoonStation Diaries tm

The idea behind this is to set up a round where 3-5 (or more) people record their round (the SAME round), submit it here/email/IRC and I'll edit it to one reasonably sized video (~20mins)
The reason why I think this would be pretty awesome is that the whole fun behind SS13 is the P2P style enviorment, and observing a round where you see different points of view from different players sounds really interesting and unique. I say unique because most vids of ss13 online are just of one player voicing his opinion and playing the game, while this would be several players voicing their opinion, and the whole synergy behind it to me sounds really exciting and it I think it would be great for the community.

An example of how it would work would be as follows:
Lets say we have 3 players, Mr white as RD, Mr Green as Botanist, Mr Red as Security.
We would introduce the players at the start of the video, and then the perspectives to swap depending on the situation. Mr white for example might be an antagongist, so you'd hear the player speaking about plotting to kill Mr Red, While the perspective changes to Mr Red, who's player is saying that he's suspicious of Mr White. Mr Green however mightn't be doing anything interesting at all, just casually growing grapes and weed, the contrast between the previous two would add to the hilarity, only for Mr Green to be blown to pieces later in the round by Mr Whites bomb.
And that's only one shitty example.

I'm thinking of setting this up pretty soon, I know some of you already record. All you need is recording software, and an active mic, and you can participate!

...So yeah what you guys think?
i'm in like saladin
Sounds awesome and I'm looking forward to what you come up with.
This sounds awesome and I would have loved to help but then I saw you wanted people actually talking on the videos. Pooie.
KikiMofo Wrote:This sounds awesome and I would have loved to help but then I saw you wanted people actually talking on the videos. Pooie.
Same thing with me.

Otherwise, I love it.

though if I could join in on this and not have to talk I would be all for it, willing to help.
(talking is asking a lot)
This sounds pretty cool. I'd be willing to give it a shot if and when it gets off the ground.
I'll narrate under the sole condition that I can do it in the voice of Prospector Pete crossarms
I would prefer to have some talking, not necessarily narrating (or alot of speak, or any for that matter if you don't want to) just some mic speak, it's often funny to hear on ss13 videos when someone says something in game, what they actually want to say/thinking out of character irl.
Sundance Wrote:I would prefer to have some talking, not necessarily narrating (or alot of speak, or any for that matter if you don't want to) just some mic speak, it's often funny to hear on ss13 videos when someone says something in game, what they actually want to say/thinking out of character irl.

Ok but I'm still going to be a crusty old coot
poland spring Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:I would prefer to have some talking, not necessarily narrating (or alot of speak, or any for that matter if you don't want to) just some mic speak, it's often funny to hear on ss13 videos when someone says something in game, what they actually want to say/thinking out of character irl.

Ok but I'm still going to be a crusty old coot

Anything you want really. I'm open for suggestions too. Special effects like a pause and zoom into something, or text on the screen if someone said something hilarious, maybe some funny music like if you're playing a clown/staff assistant/bartender, some piano music in the background, something that goes in well with it, or some weird ambient type music for z-world explorers. You name it.
Sundance Wrote:Anything you want really. I'm open for suggestions too. Special effects like a pause and zoom into something, or text on the screen if someone said something hilarious, maybe some funny music like if you're playing a clown/staff assistant/bartender, some piano music in the background, something that goes in well with it, or some weird ambient type music for z-world explorers. You name it.
yeah, hope you don't mind kinda low quality, I don't really have any good recording software. nor editing software, but heck this will be fun.
i once wrote a song about ss13 to the tune of "Mr Siegal" by Tom Waits
okay, I'm in if i don't have to constantly talk about why i'm doing such and such thing and only talk when I think there's something genuine i wanna say
So I guess we need to orchestrate a round for this to happen on, right? we can't just send in videos willy nilly and expect some of them to just come together.