Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Byond problems on new computer with Windows 10
Okay, so a few months ago I got a new computer with Windows 10 on it. Several times I tried to download Byond and play SS13, but I've never gotten it to work and I have yet to see another post anywhere with a similar problem. I've seen a couple of different posts about problems with Windows 10 that seemed to be easily fixed with some setting or whatever, but that's not doing it for me. 

I can start the Byond app and login with my username. If I try to connect to any server, the application will crash and cause other running applications to crash or hang as well. Mostly I've noticed that it happens to Chrome or other internet browsers, once Byond is closed it they will become responsive again and work as if nothing had happened.

I've tried it with various firewall settings, with no firewall or security running. Scanned my computer, even though seemed very unlikely that it would cause this problem.

Any help would be appreciated. This has started to get pretty annoying and I've found nobody with a similar problem. When I upgraded my old laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with that free update a few months back, it worked perfectly fine so I'm not sure if it's even related to the new version of windows at all.
This thread might provide an answer for you. http://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=5822
Yeah, that is one of the posts I mentioned that was no help to me. Though I do appreciate it. I was actually thinking about linking that thread in my post to prevent someone wasting their time by making their own post to link it but was lazy and didn't want to find it.
Are you running edge or IE?
Are you using Avast? Otherwise it sounds like a horrible driver issue taking everything down with it
(02-16-2016, 01:38 PM)Somepotato Wrote: Are you using Avast? Otherwise it sounds like a horrible driver issue taking everything down with it

This was my problem all along. Thank you. I feel silly for not realizing it sooner. I was messing with windows firewall settings and Malwarebytes but not this, I guess I sort of forgot I was using Avast since I haven't been hearing those audible updates that they used to do a couple years ago. Still though... what a waste of time. This is probably the biggest and most time-wastey mistake I've made in the last couple months.