Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
stamina, and players
I've never seen such a hijacked thread.
TheOnlyRyan Wrote:I've never seen such a hijacked thread.
You haven't seen Bay12.

They once made a several hundred page joke thread about colonizing Mars with forum members stemming from a tiny thread with one question. I don't even remember what the question was about.
Erev Wrote:
Cirrial Wrote:
Wire Wrote:This doesn't address most of the issues brought up, but a new forum is in the works (myself and Somepotato are migrating this forum to a new software package on my server). At the same time, I hope to add some features we've been missing (editing of posts, more forum sections etc).

I still don't quite understand how post editing isn't a feature of PHPBB already? It has been on other PHPBB-based boards to my experience, but oh well, I have no idea what's been done to this board.

If I remember correctly there is no editing on this forum so that ban appeals and admin complaints remain in their original form. The new forum software may be able to allow editing in certain areas while not allowimg it in others. As-is admins ARE capable of editing posts with the current software but the rest of us cannot.

At least that's my take. I could be totally wrong.

You can totally set it up that way on PHPBB, the move is probably being done for other reasons.
Sundance Wrote:stuff about spriting requests and such

I agree. I'd love to help with spriting but not knowing what's needed/ not wanting to spend hours creating something that will potentially never be used is stopping me, at the moment.

Side note, it would be great to have some way of knowing when admins are running events. I'd set time aside from my schedule to play then. It's a nice surprise when you're playing and an admin pops in and says "get your butts ready" but having a calendar dedicated to events would be great. Even if it's updated only a day or two before the event. Just to be able to look on and see ah, yes Haine is going to do a murder mystery on Destiny this Saturday at 7 pm EST.

Could be helpful in drawing crowds to play. People heard cog2 was coming and got pumped for it because they had a date to expect it.
yeah I stopped playing right when stamina got released, I was a never a fan of it at all.

rng was fun, it required skill to be able to make sure you got in more hits than the other guy to give yourself a better chance of knocking them down. It was also fun finding strange weapons that had a better chance of randomly knocking people down. The stamina system kinda ruined the ~magic~ for me.
What I think would make Stamina better is this

1. Give players more Stamina. Fist fights are waaaaaay too short in my opinion even though in the days of old they could last for a decent time and it really added to the tension of a battle.

2. Make it so stuns don't affect Stamina. Stuns and Stamina should operate on two different systems.

3. Lastly bring back selective targeting. I miss being able to punch someone in the jaw for critical damage/knockout and I miss nut punches as well. Selective targeting was a great idea that got shoved under the rug instead of improved when Stamina was added and it's a damn shame.

Also since Stamina has been added I've noticed that there has been a loss of fist fights and a increase of stun fights. What I mean is I see more people just using stun weapons or chems since it was added and very little fist fights.

I don't really like Stamina as I feel it limits players more then anything but I don't miss the RNG fights from the old days.

Seriously fuck anything that has RNG
Ed Venture Wrote:What I think would make Stamina better is this

1. Give players more Stamina. Fist fights are waaaaaay too short in my opinion even though in the days of old they could last for a decent time and it really added to the tension of a battle.

2. Make it so stuns don't affect Stamina. Stuns and Stamina should operate on two different systems.

3. Lastly bring back selective targeting. I miss being able to punch someone in the jaw for critical damage/knockout and I miss nut punches as well. Selective targeting was a great idea that got shoved under the rug instead of improved when Stamina was added and it's a damn shame.

Also since Stamina has been added I've noticed that there has been a loss of fist fights and a increase of stun fights. What I mean is I see more people just using stun weapons or chems since it was added and very little fist fights.

I don't really like Stamina as I feel it limits players more then anything but I don't miss the RNG fights from the old days.

Seriously fuck anything that has RNG
Selective targeting never felt like it worked properly for me, but I would love to see it return and tweaked. I think it would be intresting to, for instance, target the legs and fire bullets or lasers and disable a fleeing suspect or maim a victim instead of out right killing them.

Maybe combine stamina with RNG as far as targeting. For instance, aiming for the head gives you a chance at hitting the eyes, nose, ears, or mouth for different critical effects.
I'm not a fan of the old RNG system and see stamina as a major improvement - though not perfect.

I thought targeting still works and was just weighted based upon target size and location?
That's what I mean Frank, The targeting never worked well but when it did it really turned a fight around. There was lots of room for improvement but it never came.

Quote:Maybe combine stamina with RNG as far as targeting. For instance, aiming for the head gives you a chance at hitting the eyes, nose, ears, or mouth for different critical effects.

I love this idea.
Ed Venture Wrote:That's what I mean Frank, The targeting never worked well but when it did it really turned a fight around. There was lots of room for improvement but it never came.

Yeah. Fists and knives I think actually would target the area you were aiming at, things like tool boxes either went for the chest or head, but nothing else.

Targeting RNG critical hits could add a degree of randomn flavor to fights. Knocking out teeth, breaking noses, nicking arteries, collapsing lungs, cracking bones.

Could give medical a whole new wave of things to treat
Frank_Stein Wrote:
Ed Venture Wrote:That's what I mean Frank, The targeting never worked well but when it did it really turned a fight around. There was lots of room for improvement but it never came.

Yeah. Fists and knives I think actually would target the area you were aiming at, things like tool boxes either went for the chest or head, but nothing else.

Targeting RNG critical hits could add a degree of randomn flavor to fights. Knocking out teeth, breaking noses, nicking arteries, collapsing lungs, cracking bones.

Sounds flavorful, also that means I get to be a dentist/rabid teeth collector
Agreed great ideas from Frank. To be clear though even though I don't like stamina I don't want it removed either. I think the possibilities around the system have immense potential and I'd rather see it improve and build upon then having it removed.
(01-14-2016, 07:10 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
Ed Venture Wrote:That's what I mean Frank, The targeting never worked well but when it did it really turned a fight around. There was lots of room for improvement but it never came.

Make this a thing
Its not stamina that is the cause of the decline of players, it's content.
The reason people are declining is the lack of new content. The thing is, people love fun change.

We had a huge player spike when we got a new map. Do you know why? New content. Players new and old learned that goonstation has a new map, and came here to try it out. After they got use to the map, they decided wanted to go back to their usual servers, the ones with more antagonists, more fun systems, and more content.

You want more players? Get more antagonists, get more game modes, and get more fun things to do. 

***Please note this was MY interpretation of the decline of players.
(02-10-2016, 01:26 PM)robertmanbob Wrote: Its not stamina that is the cause of the decline of players, it's content.
The reason people are declining is the lack of new content. The thing is, people love fun change.

We had a huge player spike when we got a new map. Do you know why? New content. Players new and old learned that goonstation has a new map, and came here to try it out. After they got use to the map, they decided wanted to go back to their usual servers, the ones with more antagonists, more fun systems, and more content.

You want more players? Get more antagonists, get more game modes, and get more fun things to do. 

***Please note this was MY interpretation of the decline of players.

I wholeheartedly agree and it's something I've been saying in IRC for ages now, I'm also pretty sure I brought it up in a thread or two.