Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unpowered stun batons ignore stamina and instantly KO people
basically that, it's shit, people abuse the heck out of it.
It was originally police baton exclusive. It's a feature though, not a bug.

That having been said, I could've sworn marquesas was removing this from normal stun batons.
If it is a feature then its a shit one and it is getting abused.
Ed Venture Wrote:If it is a feature then its a shit one and it is getting abused.
Yeah this pretty much. I actually adminhelped this bug because I didn't feel up to publicly announcing that it was a thing but since a thread's been gone and made I might as well go ahead and say that yeah this is pretty terrible. If this is a bug, it's a pretty bad bug that should be fixed. If it's a feature, then I am absolutely baffled as to how anyone would think that it's a good idea.
Noah Buttes Wrote:It was originally police baton exclusive. It's a feature though, not a bug.

I refuse to believe that this is a feature, since it's horribly OP.
The reason as to why people is saying it's a feature is that it's been pretty much around since the days of donut, you scrub

But I agree, it's rather overpowered way of keeping people in a stunlock. I'd throw my vote in for a good bit of stamina loss, but not instant stun.
I found the post by Marquesas I was referring to:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5701&hilit=baton&start=30#p64532
Wouldn't hurt to buff powered stun batons while we're at it
Still a thing, still terrible.

A major part of my confusion is the fact that the police baton, a traitor (albeit surplus crate exclusive) item apparently made for the explicit purpose of not requiring power to stun people, is actually less useful than an actual plain old stun baton turned off, which makes one question why police batons would even have any business existing from a gameplay standpoint, much less being rendered exclusive to traitors.
I can confirm that this is still occurring and is probably one of the worst persistent bugs (feature?) I've encountered.
this actually sounds really bad
I don't think this is a really big problem. This has been in place since before I started playing.

The dangerous component of a baton is the lengthy stun, and ten charges goes a very long way. I've never had to recharge a baton from normal usage. Secondly, I'm fairly certain the harm intent beating stun is much, much shorter than the charged stun. As in short enough that it's difficult to handcuff someone in that timeframe, it's something that requires you to keep beating them continually to keep them down. Removing the harm intent+baton off stun would only make a minimal difference in the strength of the baton in the hands of an antag.
Baton charged is a 22 second stun, baton beating comes out to 9 seconds.
The issue is that they keep beating you to the point where you are in the negatives in stamina. So not only does it stun you but it does damage and if repeatedly hit you pass out. Then they just repeat it so you are not only stunned locked but knocked out so you can't even call for help.
Also it's not just related to antags as I've seen security officers resort to this before. and as Sundance said here it's pretty much an instant stunlock plus brute damage.

Sundance Wrote:The reason as to why people is saying it's a feature is that it's been pretty much around since the days of donut, you scrub

But I agree, it's rather overpowered way of keeping people in a stunlock. I'd throw my vote in for a good bit of stamina loss, but not instant stun.

I honestly feel that stun weapons need a slight nerf. Tasers more then stun batons but that's nether here nor there.