Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more cold airlessness
Berrik Wrote:I agree, OP, instead players should gib after a short time in a vacuum as the contents of their entire body bursts through their skin.

that actually doesnt happen either. you get a horrible case of the bends from quick exposure and you take heavy eye and lung damage. could be easily simulated by adding eye damage to the blunt damage from space exposure. it would give oculine a bigger use at least.
Temperature doesn't really exist in space, it dips from from nearing absolute zero in the shade to as hot as fuck, as the only thing varying the temperature of an object is radiation from stars, to put simply. Seen as SS13 is orbiting a gas giant/sun/plasma source it would make sense for space to be hot as fuck, but I'm not sure how that would apply to breaches.

But tbh, I feel like the cold is part of the experience with space, don't fix what ain't broken etc. While it doesn't make much scientific sense, if changes were going to be made, you could make space tiles somewhat less cold (light blue), while walking on objects/turf the same freezing effect (deep flashing blue). That would mean burn damage isn't going to be as bad in space, but that's where I feel you could balance that with ailments such as The Bends (brute damage and slowness per X amount of tics, cured by oxygen treatment) or like the eye damage suggested above. Just dont add in pressure like in other servers embarrasment

Also, i'd like to see space tiles putting out fire on mobs, that shit don't make sense either.
Yeah, you would not explode in space or anything, but your blood veins would burst (eww), lungs get pretty bad and it's not probably good for your eyes neither
Sundance Wrote:Also, i'd like to see space tiles putting out fire on mobs, that shit don't make sense either.

BLASPHEMY!

I'd rather set myself on fire to cancel out the frigid coldness of space, as a last means to wander outside without a space suit! get in not go out
http://www.universetoday.com/77070/how-cold-is-space/

You know how solars track where the sun is? Alright!

So if you're on the sunny side you get hot.

If not you ain't so hot.

Problem solved.
Sundance Wrote:But tbh, I feel like the cold is part of the experience with space, don't fix what ain't broken etc. While it doesn't make much scientific sense, if changes were going to be made, you could make space tiles somewhat less cold (light blue), while walking on objects/turf the same freezing effect (deep flashing blue). That would mean burn damage isn't going to be as bad in space, but that's where I feel you could balance that with ailments such as The Bends (brute damage and slowness per X amount of tics, cured by oxygen treatment) or like the eye damage suggested above. Just dont add in pressure like in other servers embarrasment

Also, i'd like to see space tiles putting out fire on mobs, that shit don't make sense either.

Well half the reason for this suggestion is to nerf the slowness. putting realism aside the constant slow when there is a breach is not fun. breaches are insanely common, so you will end up freezing your butt into walking half the time you travel around the station. less slowness makes combat in airless environments more entertaining and fun, and having to deal with ticking damage without a suit would be something that people have to deal with, plus giving medbay a little more to do with eye treatment and salbutamol for the bends.

and yeah, I agree with airlessness removing fire instead of making it hotter like it seems to currently do. but I dont know how laggy that would be or how hard it would be to fix. I guess having traveling over a naked space tile put you out if you are on fire wouldnt be that laggy.
There's a more present problem at play though here. You guys might occasionally notice that it lags. Well the more systems and checks the game has to run on players, the more lag, so some things are unrealistic in the name of playability.
Dr_Bee Wrote:
Berrik Wrote:I agree, OP, instead players should gib after a short time in a vacuum as the contents of their entire body bursts through their skin.

that actually doesnt happen either. you get a horrible case of the bends from quick exposure and you take heavy eye and lung damage. could be easily simulated by adding eye damage to the blunt damage from space exposure. it would give oculine a bigger use at least.

Naximous Wrote:Yeah, you would not explode in space or anything, but your blood veins would burst (eww), lungs get pretty bad and it's not probably good for your eyes neither

Yes everyone knows this. It was a joke you aspergers-laden retards.
ErikHanson Wrote:Or well, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejlKsj7k4Rc

There are a few slight problems with that demonstration.

1) The vapour pressure of blood is much higher than that of water. In a vacuum the water would slowly boil out of the blood, but the process would be very slow.

2) The mechanical counter pressure that the human body is capable of producing exceeds said vapour pressure, blood will not boil inside your body even in a vacuum. You will get the bends from nitrogen and oxygen coming out of solution but with quick treatment and short exposure times, that isn't necessarily that dangerous.

3) Since there is no boiling, there is evaporative cooling of the body on the large scale. Only small amounts of liquid are evaporating off the body. This is why mechanical counter pressure suits work, they can augment the body's own capability to keep the interior internal to the point where you can breathe and avoid the bends. To reduce the problem of overheating, these suits are typically not moisture tight and as such cause dehydration. In real life this is a process of hours and can be easily slowed down sufficiently by just drinking enough water.

If you want a different method for vacuum damage without making it a huge problem, my suggestion would be for uniforms to be MCP suits and dehydration to be made unnaturally fast. With internals but without a proper helmet, you would start to suffer eye damage after a short exposure to space and take minor brute damage. Over a period of minutes you would start to get dehydrated and need to either drink a bunch of water (Obviously while in normal atmosphere, drinking water in space should give frostburn) or get an IV.

Without a uniform, you would be unable to breathe (even with internals), start to suffer brute damage immediately and get the bends.

If you want space to be a little more dangerous, make the uniforms only suitable for much lower pressures. They'll still allow you to breathe and stop the worst of it, but you would get the bends and eye damage would still be a problem without a helmet.
Sundance Wrote:But tbh, I feel like the cold is part of the experience with space, don't fix what ain't broken etc.
Noah Buttes Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:But tbh, I feel like the cold is part of the experience with space, don't fix what ain't broken etc.
Yeah, I feel like just tinkering with the rate you get cold, or the slow down effect would be enough.
your occasional raytrace in the direction of the sun(hello solars) to determine whether you catch on fire or freeze to death
Berrik Wrote:
Dr_Bee Wrote:

Naximous Wrote:Yeah, you would not explode in space or anything, but your blood veins would burst (eww), lungs get pretty bad and it's not probably good for your eyes neither

Kubius, you were once entirely known for your retarded idea forum posts and were banned from posting in ideas for like a year... so don't be surprised when people take everything you say seriously.

On the note of exploding, I think after two minutes it might be funny if it went all total recall and popped the eyes from your head, maybe made you blind or something, or have a roll for a chance to do so (slight)
Berrik Wrote:
Dr_Bee Wrote:

chill the fuck out dude why the fuck you gotta talk to people like that? damn go pet a fucking cat or something take a break from the internet if dr bees comment pissed you off that much

i support this mostly bc its super annoying to be slowed down when cold in an airless environment bc it means youre dead before you can get to safety sometimes frown
vampirate Wrote:Kubius, you were once entirely known for your retarded idea forum posts and were banned from posting in ideas for like a year... so don't be surprised when people take everything you say seriously.

On the note of exploding, I think after two minutes it might be funny if it went all total recall and popped the eyes from your head, maybe made you blind or something, or have a roll for a chance to do so (slight)

His name is Berrik you were looking at his profile pic.

Also Berrik chill the fuck out please.