Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more cold airlessness
Space isnt cold. Airlessness means that there is no way for heat to transfer at all, trapping it in whatever it currently is in. This means that bodies tend to warm up in a vacuum and not freeze. Modern spacesuits have to have cooling systems inside of them to prevent the user from cooking themselves with their own body heat.

My suggestion is to remove the cooling aspect of space and instead have vacuums cause a person to slowly heat up, causing burn damage from too much exposure. combine this with brute damage from lack of air-pressure and space and airless rooms still become a threat, but also become significantly less frustrating to fight or move around in without EVA suits, at least for short periods of time.

I know SS13 goes by soft sci-fi depictions of space, but this change would add more realism as well as make the game a bit less of a pain to play with how rooms instantly freeze with the new air system.
Cold space is actually an ancient bug, the human code checks the temperature of the tile you're on (defaults to 0K) without paying attention to the amount of actual heat energy.
Tobba Wrote:Cold space is actually an ancient bug, the human code checks the temperature of the tile you're on (defaults to 0K) without paying attention to the amount of actual heat energy.

even more reason to change it then.

What made me suggest it is me thinking about nuke ops fights and how shooting an RPG chills the entire room and makes fighting a frustrating and unfun affair as it limits the amount of gear people can bring. You cant use cool heavy armor or anything besides a spacesuit, plus it makes escaping airless rooms harder than it should be. Airless rooms should damage you but shouldn't do anything to movement.
Space is actually cold, well not cold.. but you would cool down very rapidly when you ran into space without a proper space suit.

In space there is no air pressure at all, and pressure is the continuous physical force exerted on or against an object by something in contact with it. Also the temperature in space can be as low as 0 Kelvin, but also as high as 2.7 Kelvin because any object in space will just radiate heat until it cools, and it will stay cool. However this is for objects that are not exposed to sunlight

Because there is no pressure in space to keep the liquids in our bodies from being a liquid state, because the boiling process would cause them to lose heat very rapidly, then the fluids would freeze before they were totally evaporated.
the moving slow mechanism is just frustrating though. i'd prefer it if the cold did straight-up damage but still let you run around
On a side note: If space is reworked, then the cold loop part of the engine and the cooling loop in toxins would need to be reworked.

Although, I supposed Hellburners would have no problem with warm space.
Mageziya Wrote:On a side note: If space is reworked, then the cold loop part of the engine and the cooling loop in toxins would need to be reworked.

Although, I supposed Hellburners would have no problem with warm space.

Cog2 is using Freezers/coolers and it wouldn't be that hard to place them on cog1 neither.
ErikHanson Wrote:Space is actually cold, well not cold.. but you would cool down very rapidly when you ran into space without a proper space suit.

In space there is no air pressure at all, and pressure is the continuous physical force exerted on or against an object by something in contact with it. Also the temperature in space can be as low as 0 Kelvin, but also as high as 2.7 Kelvin because any object in space will just radiate heat until it cools, and it will stay cool. However this is for objects that are not exposed to sunlight

Because there is no pressure in space to keep the liquids in our bodies from being a liquid state, because the boiling process would cause them to lose heat very rapidly, then the fluids would freeze before they were totally evaporated.

nothing is 0 kelvin and the boiling wouldn't really cool a person down
Somepotato Wrote:nothing is 0 kelvin and the boiling wouldn't really cool a person down

Well, slowly. smile
Or well, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejlKsj7k4Rc
So IF we have blood or chemicals in our bodies, it should take heavy brute and burn damage and then start to puke blood and have it starting to leak in jets from ourselves. If for some reason we are still alive after a while, then we get cold.
I'm probably the only person who likes the cold of our vacuums. I find that it's a good compromise to being an unconscious, swollen, lung-broken mess after an unprotected 20 second walk on the catwalks with internals.

It is a moustache
Nerf space
Alternatively, buff those orange emergency suits so they're not utterly useless anymore.
I agree, OP, instead players should gib after a short time in a vacuum as the contents of their entire body bursts through their skin.