Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you discover SS13?
I had a really really shit computer at the time and I was looking for something that my computer could at least attempt to handle. Found this, got a new computer, still playing it.
Saw a forum post about a 'multiplayer space station simulator ' back in Uni and gave it a try. Nothing could prepare me for the chaos to follow.
I was looking for a good playthrough of Dwarf Fortress's Genesis mod, and found plump. At the time, he was still uploading space station 13 videos on donut 2.
/v/
A friend of mine showed me how to play back on donut. I was really reluctant at first because of the learning curve. Thankfully he was patient and taught me everything I needed to know! (We metagamed a lot back then frown pls dont ban me)
I stumbled across a Plumphelmetpunk livestream in... 2011? Well, it showed a recording of the game (A vampire round specifically) while he talked about it. I actually specifically asking in the chat if the game was harder than Dwarf Fortress. I read up on the wiki before stumbling into the game as a confused staff assistant.

You know what, screw it: I'll tell my "life story" with this game.

I played for a bit under a year before I got my ass justifiably banned in June 2012. Eventually, upon re-examining the game many months later I found that literally everyone had been unbanned in what I call "The Great November Unbanning." I don't know when this was, (2012? 2013?) but mushroom station was still in use. Strange story: I actually tried playing on baystation before I learned of the unbanning, since I really wanted to play SS13. Only upon checking a goon server to confirm my fate after being fed up with the dull nature of baystation did I find I didn't have a ban. I then played for about a month, where I then got a job-ban from research for suicide bombing a wizard. Instead of attempting to appeal with the justification that nothing in the rules said I couldn't have done that, I took it as a sign to take time off from the game.

In August 2014 or so, I decided to try and play this game again. I've enjoyed this game since. It's a strange one, you don't really stop. You might take a break for a week or two and next thing you know you're spending 3-4 rounds a day on it.

Funfact: That scientist job-ban is still in place on LLJK 1. I haven't appealed out of laziness and because of how I never play on LLJK 1. v
I've been an on/off player of byond games for a few years and never got into Spacestation 13 until a year or two ago when I started playing goonstation.
Friend wanted me to try in late 2011, then I did and got hooked for a quite a bit. I stayed playing mostly because of how big the game was to me and how many things could happen. Also because there lots of cool people playing. However my personal interest has pretty much gone down, but I lurk the forums pretty much everyday. And to be completely honest I honestly never thought this game would ever be as big as its gotten, like back in 2012 I thought it would be dead by 2014.
I'm another one lured in by Plump. Made my first account a long time ago. Ovary. Thought the game was fun to watch, but shit to play. Stayed less than a month. I came back during donut. It was more fun this time around, but life-shit happened which left me in no mood for games. These first two go rounds only saddled me with a few months worth of experience.

A little over a year ago (according to my account date), while watching some of the other Voltron Army LPers, youtube popped up Plump's 'Captain Spiderman' episode. I needed some humor so I came back. The community has matured (haha) greatly, and the game has moved away from some of it's cliquish nature. It's a lot more fun experience overall.. well, for me, anyways.

I do sometimes wish for monkeymode, though.
Looks like a lot of you guys got here from Plump.

Did anyone else check his latest videos regularly to see if they happened to make a cameo? Or was that just me
BabaYaga Wrote:Looks like a lot of you guys got here from Plump.

Did anyone else check his latest videos regularly to see if they happened to make a cameo? Or was that just me
I've watched every single SS13 video he has done but it wasn't to see if I was in them. Just a happy surprise when I was.

I did all the time. One time I was SURE I found him in-game and was so excited.

Oh man, the fanboy I was

I saw myself in OOC once and I saw myself dead on the walkway during one of my first rounds as a HOS.
I too decided to start playing because of Plump. However the first time I ever saw this farting spaceman game (specifically the goon version since it was the one both were playing on) was on Revocane's channel. Think I actually found plump through him if I'm remembering correctly. Watching Rev's and then Plump's videos made me actual make an effort to read the wiki and learn the game.
I found SS13 completely on accident. Someone in a skype chat group I was in linked the video "Clown.wmv" the 1 hour version. I was mostly in "What the fuck is this? I need to learn more" And began thinking to myself that if anyone makes a video like that. takes the effort to do something like that and post it, it's a meme refrence of something. So I watched a video or two after that.

Next video I saw was Clown man 2. I thought it was great. I knew nothing of the game, and here is this dickwad walking around as a clown and fucking with people. The Sims music added to the background really sold it for me too.

I was sold on wanting to know what the game was. And saw the name Space Station 13 in one of the linking videos to a lets play. I got bored and just typed the game name up. And found the legendary video called "Space Station 13" by Aphtönites. This video really sold it. It provided information on the backstory of the game, what it was about. And how fucked up it was. I thought it was great mostly because I played custom maps like this game, in games like starcraft 1/2 warcraft 3. Then at the end, when he says "Get your pudgy little nerd ass over to space station 13, and start bustin' heads" I was like, FUCK YES! (This video is still a motivator)

It took me awhile to set up the game, mostly confused about the byond thing at the start. Once it was all said and done. I read somewhere during my research that goon was one of the best servers. I was septical. Mostly due to Goon rep in other games (Like eve-online) Still, goon was my first server, and pretty much the only server I play on.

I knew no one that played SS13, or to teach me the game. I mostly had to learn how to play by myself. Mentor chat did help with some of the basic things that I struggled with, since I kept hitting myself with objects the first few times before I learned better. How to open a box and get things out of it. How to pull off my backpack. Generally though, I studied the wiki, found the guide of being robust. And I played mining to learn the game. Which helped a lot.

So after 2 years. I only been banned 2 times (Not something to be proud of, but something worth mentioning because we all make mistakes and go through growing pains as we get older) I applied for and became a mentor. Partook in some incredible stuff. Telesci adventures, doing disaster rounds and surviving them . Being part in some interesting admin gimmicks. Causing my own. Even though I don't play as much as I 'd like to anymore. I still love the place, can't wait for cog 2.