Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Botany oxygen production
BlackPhoenix Wrote:
Mageziya Wrote:It's a good idea game play wise,

but conservation of matter says that this idea makes no fucking sense.

Then again, not many ideas in this game make much sense, but we're essentially making air out of nothing, unless our 2D spessmen are to be given fully simulated breathing that causes CO2 to slowly build up.
A very simple burn can be hotter than the surface of the sun, chairs can trip you, magic is real, AI technology is used like a door opener, and changelings roam the halls consuming DNA. Realism has its place in SS13, but that place is small and easily forgotten for the sake of fun or nifty shit.

I just sorta assume that changelings are actually human derived bioweapons. They don't actually "absorb DNA", that's just crewmember mythology. What really happens is they copy DNA and then destroy the body. The DNA could be used for some nefarious end goal, or maybe they just need a selection of human dna strands to make offspring with. They're basically Parasitic germs made of people.

If you try hard enough, you can make sense of anything in this game.
atomic1fire Wrote:
BlackPhoenix Wrote:
Mageziya Wrote:It's a good idea game play wise,

but conservation of matter says that this idea makes no fucking sense.

Then again, not many ideas in this game make much sense, but we're essentially making air out of nothing, unless our 2D spessmen are to be given fully simulated breathing that causes CO2 to slowly build up.
A very simple burn can be hotter than the surface of the sun, chairs can trip you, magic is real, AI technology is used like a door opener, and changelings roam the halls consuming DNA. Realism has its place in SS13, but that place is small and easily forgotten for the sake of fun or nifty shit.

I just sorta assume that changelings are actually human derived bioweapons. They don't actually "absorb DNA", that's just crewmember mythology. What really happens is they copy DNA and then destroy the body. The DNA could be used for some nefarious end goal, or maybe they just need a selection of human dna strands to make offspring with. They're basically Parasitic germs made of people.

If you try hard enough, you can make sense of anything in this game.
botany's food, medicine, poison, wood plank and explosive tomato production capacity is somewhat under-utilized, being able to grow/mutate something that would help re-oxygenate rooms would be a boon to the usefulness of the department. perhaps an identical-looking plant that poisons the air could make for a new traitor item
I think a more accurate incarnation of this would be to have some plants act as super scrubbers. A plant in space would produce no oxygen, plants don't create from a void.
Man, my original intention was just like, botany would have an air tank that fills up automatically, with the ammount based on how many plants were in the botany room. Then they could sell that air. It really wasn't supposed to factor in the actual atmospherics since I figured that would be a lag nightmare.

Special varieties of gas producing/scrubbing plants that can be moved around is pretty interesting though.
Maybe just have an item that you can add to plants? Let's call it an Oxygen Gel Brick. You add it to plants like you would compost or other fertilizers and then the plant would start emitting oxygen. This could work with any plant, instead of just special kinds. You could refill the O2 in areas with banana trees, explosive tomato plants, weed, or even maneaters!
This is a cool idea. There should also be a biomass engine in botany.