Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
have a map rotation
Zamujasa Wrote:Personally I'd like to see chunks of the old station (and their relevant job departments?) floating around the debris zone, or perhaps a telesci-able area. It'd be kind of fun to go exploring a worn-down half-broken Mushroom , sort of how Zeta was still around for a while in derelect form.

(Or on that note, a worn-down "future" version of parts of the current station. The familiarity would make any changes really unsettling.)

Parts of Donut's bridge was in space all destroyed but when we were on mushroom
It's 100% a maintainer problem.
For every map you add, any time anyone makes a change that requires adding/removing something from a map, or rejiggering how things work, that's an extra map they have to worry about debugging and refining.

On top of that, due to how byond saves map files, any time anyone tries to make a change to the map and push it to the versioning software, it conflicts with any existing attempts to do that, so this just compounds that. I know there's some recently made mapmerge utilities that partially fix this to only conflict on the atom level, but DM still has some issues with versioning software in the compiled output DMMs.

About the best you could do is split out every zlevel into their own DMM file, and write/use a dynamic map loader that loaded them all in peacemeal on roundstart. That way you'd only have to change a single map file with a single zlevel, instead of a single map file with multiple zlevels.
/VG/station has a map rotation, and it's apparently going to be ported to TG in a month or so. Just sayin
Naximous Wrote:/VG/station has a map rotation, and it's apparently going to be ported to TG in a month or so. Just sayin
Oh X does Y so goon must be able to do it!!111oneone, please remember that having an maprotation isnt going to work here, it takes ages to build a good well balanced map, and maintain this
ErikHanson Wrote:
Naximous Wrote:/VG/station has a map rotation, and it's apparently going to be ported to TG in a month or so. Just sayin
Oh X does Y so goon must be able to do it!!111oneone, please remember that having an maprotation isnt going to work here, it takes ages to build a good well balanced map, and maintain this

-_-
-_-
-_-
^^Here is my answer to this....
the old maps would need quite a bit of tuning up, they lack some items and features now standard, or rely on mechanics or features that have since been removed
misto Wrote:the old maps would need quite a bit of tuning up, they lack some items and features now standard, or rely on mechanics or features that have since been removed
Yeah I remember one of the admins explaining just how mammoth a task this would actually be
Naximous Wrote:
ErikHanson Wrote:

-_-
-_-
-_-
^^Here is my answer to this....

Fuck you too, buddy.

We don't need a map rotation. Simple as that. If you're going to constant suggest "do these things that other servers have", you sound like what you want is to be on those servers. Why are you interested in goonstation?
Yeah I agree we don't need a map rotation They make new maps cause they know we are going to be there for a while and make plans to update it as the years go by. Look at all the issues the servers have now and you think it can handle a map rotation? I'm perfectly fine with us revisiting a old map every now and then.
Cirrial Wrote:Fuck you too, buddy.

We don't need a map rotation. Simple as that. If you're going to constant suggest "do these things that other servers have", you sound like what you want is to be on those servers. Why are you interested in goonstation?

The name of this Thread is "have a map rotation" and i just said that there is a map Rotation on /VG/ which could help the work of a coder in case one actually tries to make one -_-
just sayin...
-_-
You could have thinked it a little further rather than just say Fuck you
Naximous Wrote:

The name of this Thread is "have a map rotation" and i just said that there is a map Rotation on /VG/ which could help the work of a coder in case one actually tries to make one -_-
just sayin...
-_-
Your responses to criticisms to your idea have been "Nah we should just do whatever TG and VG did, worked for them" or "Ugh why should I even bother responding, here's some annoyed emoticons". You're being told several reasons this idea just wouldn't work. Take the criticism like an adult and move on.
BlackPhoenix Wrote:
Naximous Wrote:

just sayin...
-_-
Your responses to criticisms to your idea have been "Nah we should just do whatever TG and VG did, worked for them" or "Ugh why should I even bother responding, here's some annoyed emoticons". You're being told several reasons this idea just wouldn't work. Take the criticism like an adult and move on.

I never fucking said that we Should Do What TG and VG did.

Then what was the point of this post? To tell us something that had nothing to do with our servers. From my POV you were implying that just cause they are doing it means it's a good enough reason for us to do it. Even if you feel like that's a good enough reason others have told you how at this point in time it is impossible for the admins to do it
Getting back on hand here I wouldn't mind a rotation - or at least a selection of male across servers - if they have someone dedicated to keeping them up to date. Specifically I'd love to see a smaller station for #2 and have even considered giving it a try. I've a few ideas....
maybe if construction mode players could make fully functional stations with new layouts itd be nice to try to take em for a spin in regular round types. then construction mode would not just be a sandbox, but could feed regular mode new content. but that seems far-fetched as well.