Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New SS13 Remake Attempt
Hm, I think my numbers for the gradient trick are off, but all I think I missed is an extra constant term from figuring out how much influence each side has.
Gas composition of a room should never be uniform or we'll have entire rooms simultaneously bursting into flames from plasma fires.
i'll try to make a visualization based on nodes and linear interpolation once unity is installed
Dabir Wrote:Gas composition of a room should never be uniform or we'll have entire rooms simultaneously bursting into flames from plasma fires.
No. Always do this. I would love having rooms BURST into fire.
Zeef Wrote:-snip-

This is, like, stuff I write on my toilet paper before I use it.
Marquesas Wrote:
Zeef Wrote:-snip-

This is, like, stuff I write on my toilet paper before I use it.

I've been staring at this for a while now and I can't tell whether it's an insult or Marqs usual utter despair when it comes to coding anything related to SS13 that has forced him to set up various suicide methods for different sections of the code in his house.

The shotgun in mouth corner has seen quite a bit of use from what I've read.
A bit of both.
What exactly would the difficulty in atmospherics be? You would only need to create an invisible object that can only interact with others of itself. Each of them would contain the details of the temperature and gas composition on that tile. You wouldn't have all of them check what's going on in every single tile. First of all, think of what would create a pressure differential like opening a gas canister, an explosion, a door opening, walls/windows being broken/destroyed. Now in those events, you trigger a gas diffusion event to impart onto the atmosphere in that tile. Now since there is a surplus/dearth of pressure or temperature, the origin tile does gas calculations and interacts with the surrounding tiles. You'd set a boundary condition so that it doesn't bog itself doing and limit to how many times the game does that per second.

The only thing I'd consider worrying about is how you'd do all that without bogging the server when you have massive fires. Like all throughout research, medbay and escape. I was thinking of something like a fire tile just calculating how much oxygen was in that tile, destroying the oxygen and based on the calulations burn the fire on a timer based on how much oxygen there was. Much much quicker.

BONUS POINTS: use 8 for gas constant and bitshift operations involving that. not much faster individually but very useful when scaling up.

PS: You'd of course add more complexity and whatnot like flash fires or slow burners.

PPS: Actually, when I get a chance, I'll rig something up in c++ or java.