Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New SS13 Remake Attempt
Hey yal, Maxiemo here. It's been a long... LONG... time since I last played SS13, and recently I got inspired to remake it inside of unity. Now, I understand that this will be a huge process, and will likely take years and I probably won't even finish it, but I thought I'd post about it here in case anyone was interested in assisting me. The reason I chose the forums here were because I found goonstation to be the best least horrible of my experiences from back when I played, and has a friendly only somewhat cruel community behind it. If anyone is interested in assisting me, I am currently just starting the very basic parts of the system, and am currently looking for the following: (Will edit as things change)

Screenshots:
Coming later down the line, sorry D:
  • Modelers/Riggers/Skinners/3d Animators for the basic character models and assets, as I cannot model for my life.

Later down the line, I will require:
  • Coders(?) - I might accept coding applications, although I like the idea of coding this from my own hands.
  • Pixel Artists - To create textures for the various items, furniture, walls, doors, etc.
  • Play Testers - I will eventually seek experienced SS13 players to help test the system.
  • Knowledge Managers - I need people who know SS13 in and out, and can help keep me on track of creating and adding features from the original game.

Please comment complain about everything I messed up on below, and I hope this project ends up being lots of fun.
You should probably wait until you have something tangible before you start posting about it, I'm not seeing anything here that makes me believe you'll get anywhere. I'm not trying to be a dick here, just honest.
Yeah, you're probably not going to see much support here. The SS13 community has seen countless remakes announced and then promptly crash and burn. We have a lot of reason to be pessimistic.
I understand that, and I honestly doubt I will finish this. I just posted the fact that I was working on it at all, to see if I could pique anyone's interest in helping. I see now that this forum does not have an edit feature, so here are some VERY, VERY, early screenshots. (BTW, The picture is cut off in the forum. The actionbar extends over to include the intent buttons)
[Image: O5AwIbS.png]
[Image: xB1nhD8.png]
Next up: Making the inventory ACTUALLY work. Oh dear.
P.S: I was so tired last night when I started the project that I didn't realize what I named it. 3D Spesh-men. frown
aza tried to make it in unity and he miserably failed because of performance issues with atmos and such

unity is not fit for this kind of games, you should rather try UE4 (but then, it's pretty much the same thing as centration so meh)
SS14 is getting somewhere, but last I checked some guy was working on shaders, and another dude was working on porting awesomium as a browser component. SS14 technically works on linux though.

That said yeah you should probably wait till you have something tangible before announcing anything.
This is going to end horribly as usual.
If I were to try remaking SS13 probably the first thing I'd work on is world modeling, since stuff like atmos is hard to get right and really unperformant. There's a reason it lags like hell and that reason is only about 70% bad programming!
It's more of a platform issue. If you think you can code a better atmospherics cellular automata engine, you are welcome to rev4401.
I always thought atmos was overplayed. I know it started out out as an atmos sim, and that atmos does some neat things, but the primary reason I come back (to goon) is it's community, quirky atmosphere (the non gaseous kind; unless we're talkin' bout farts), and the ability to be creative in what I do and how I accomplish goals. I think any game that combines those three things along with decent coding and graphical styling would do well.

But yea, people in the SS13 community are jaded when it comes to remakes. Especially if they actually aim to be remakes and not just inspired by ss13. Don't get discouraged, though. If it's something you want to do, go for it.
Vitatroll Wrote:I always thought atmos was overplayed. I know it started out out as an atmos sim, and that atmos does some neat things, but the primary reason I come back (to goon) is it's community, quirky atmosphere (the non gaseous kind; unless we're talkin' bout farts), and the ability to be creative in what I do and how I accomplish goals. I think any game that combines those three things along with decent coding and graphical styling would do well.

But yea, people in the SS13 community are jaded when it comes to remakes. Especially if they actually aim to be remakes and not just inspired by ss13. Don't get discouraged, though. If it's something you want to do, go for it.

I think the main incentive to make a ss13 remake is to ditch byond once and for all
Also maxiemo hit me on steam (username is clemens1994), I'd like to discuss with you
Vitatroll Wrote:I always thought atmos was overplayed. I know it started out out as an atmos sim, and that atmos does some neat things, but the primary reason I come back (to goon) is it's community, quirky atmosphere (the non gaseous kind; unless we're talkin' bout farts), and the ability to be creative in what I do and how I accomplish goals. I think any game that combines those three things along with decent coding and graphical styling would do well.

I know, right? As neat as it is, I doubt the reason most people show up to play this game has anything to do simulating gas molecules and the way they interact with each other.
Frank_Stein Wrote:

I know, right? As neat as it is, I doubt the reason most people show up to play this game has anything to do simulating gas molecules and the way they interact with each other.
I come to SS13 for that. Simulating gas molecules is how I make bombs, and I need bombs.
If I were going to simulate atmospherics from scratch SS13 behavior I'd probably do something pretty similar to the current system (which AFAIK tracks gas on each tile), but on the level of room<->room instead of tile<->tile.

So instead of "(0, 0) transmits x amount of helium to (0, 1)", "Kitchen transmits x amount of helium to Kitchen Vent 0." That makes it a little more expensive to figure out what's neighbor to what, (probably I would either calculate it from programmer-indicated map zones or, more likely, make map designers specify it manually based on zones they draw on the map) but you're doing so much less propagation it shouldn't matter.

If we could guarantee things about the shape of rooms like "always a rectangle where the whole edge is a boundary to the room on that side" and keep track of what's transmitting what to each room, we could extrapolate what gas is on each tile by figuring out where it falls on a gradient between the neighboring rooms. So long as you calculate that only as-needed (assuming that most of the time there's no reason anyone cares about the gas composition of most tiles), and so long as there aren't too many gases in play at any given time, it's probably a pretty simple computation. (as an average between k neighboring rooms and one current room, the gradient trick is probably (k + 1) additions and 1 division, for each gas)

You could avoid a lot of that computation by just making the gas composition of each room totally uniform, and making rooms small enough that doing that doesn't affect gameplay. I think that's much less cool though and likely to confuse people if they can't tell where gases are coming from. Of course, you could cheat even further from there and split each room automatically into five subregions -- one for each edge and one for the center -- so that by inspecting edges, players can figure out where a gas is introduced from. All of these are just equally-valid positions on a sliding spectrum between "one gas composition per room" and "one (just-in-time computed) gas composition per room."

Some caveats that fuck this over: not being able to tell who needs the gas composition of a specific tile at a specific time; overzealous scripts asking for the gas composition of more tiles than they strictly need, because they're poorly optimized.

This is probably a pipe dream though in current SS13, and I don't know if all the performance assumptions I mentioned will actually hold water. I might try to throw an implementation together although I don't actually know BYOND at the moment. (how hard can it be?) Based on what I just posted anyone could probably code the same system or determine if it would work/meet SS13 design goals, because the idea (if not implementation on existing engine) is really simple.