Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The New Nuke (It'll be around forever, eh eh eh)
Make screwdrivering the nuke not affect the timer. Make moving it stop the timer entirely for 3 seconds. This way, the Syndicate can re-secure the nuke and give themselves a few extra seconds before someone can run off with it again. It also means that the nuke becomes a literal hot potato -- if you stop moving with it (like, being killed) then... uh oh.

I suggest this for two reasons:
- Playing keepaway from the Syndicate! Neener neener, can't get it
- The server is usually lagging really bad from all the destruction already levied on the station via RPGs/bombs/etc, making moving the bomb from Research to the crusher all but completely impossible in one minute

I don't know why nuke-destroying needs to be removed. In all the rounds I've observed, I've never seen anyone actually bomb the nuke, especially because half the time the target is the research department.

Honestly aside from the one-minute timer and round end conditions I think the new nuke is pretty good.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5233
Some other quality of life suggestions from that thread:

Give the syndicates a nuke tracker. Basically the same as the old disc tracker, but for the nuke. Could be useful during those syndicate rounds where the nuke is immediately stolen by the clown before it's planted and none of the operatives can answer to where the hell it's gone.

Change the syndicate comm channel to any other color but black or the current green.
its a bit funny that the syndicate mission selects a specific room to have the nuke deployed in when the nuke blowing nearly anywhere seems to get the job done. i would like to see some reasoning for that room being selected and more focus on securing the bomb in that location rather than receiving easy wins thanks to some crewman with a screwdriver thinking hes going to play hero

if the timer-shortening must be kept, downgrade the syndicate's explosive from a nuke to something more regular bomb sized, but it MUST be detonated IN THE ROOM THE MISSION BRIEFING SELECTS, because there are hidden additional explosives planted there earlier maybe, or its a fucking death-star style weakpoint, or whatever.

but yeah, if the bomb must stay a nuke that gets the job done from nearly anywhere, actively punishing the crew with a shorter timer for doing what seems to be the most logical thing, unscrewing and removing the bomb, is not much good, probably secured more syndicate victories than it has ever foiled, and will continue to do so as long as the feature exists
reposting from the other nuke complain thread:

its a bit funny that the syndicate mission selects a specific room to have the nuke deployed in when the nuke blowing nearly anywhere seems to get the job done. i would like to see some reasoning for that room being selected and more focus on securing the bomb in that location rather than receiving easy wins thanks to some crewman with a screwdriver thinking hes going to play hero

if the timer-shortening must be kept, downgrade the syndicate's explosive from a nuke to something more regular bomb sized, but it MUST be detonated IN THE ROOM THE MISSION BRIEFING SELECTS, because there are hidden additional explosives planted there earlier maybe, or its a fucking death-star style weakpoint, or whatever.

but yeah, if the bomb must stay a nuke that gets the job done from nearly anywhere, actively punishing the crew with a shorter timer for doing what seems to be the most logical thing, unscrewing and removing the bomb, is not much good, probably secured more syndicate victories than it has ever foiled, and will continue to do so as long as the feature exists
I think that the syndicate crew should be able to choose which room it must be detonated in. They would pick from a list of the main areas of the station such as medical, science, bar, bridge, engine room, qm, and botany. Also the bomb cannot be activated until they pick an area. If that is too much choice for the syndi's then it could work out where they pick either medical, science, command, engineering, or customs, and it then picks a random room under one of those. So if they pick science the designated room could be chemistry, test chamber, toxins, RD's office, art lab, telescience, or the science lobby. This still gives them a little choice but still enough randomness to have to adapt and chance their plans. QM and mining would be under engineering.
Zadeon Wrote:I think that the syndicate crew should be able to choose which room it must be detonated in. They would pick from a list of the main areas of the station such as medical, science, bar, bridge, engine room, qm, and botany. Also the bomb cannot be activated until they pick an area. If that is too much choice for the syndi's then it could work out where they pick either medical, science, command, engineering, or customs, and it then picks a random room under one of those. So if they pick science the designated room could be chemistry, test chamber, toxins, RD's office, art lab, telescience, or the science lobby. This still gives them a little choice but still enough randomness to have to adapt and chance their plans. QM and mining would be under engineering.
If they pick, maybe harder to defend rooms like the bar have shorter times than places like Sec.
I apparently forgot we already had a thread for Syndicate feedback. Goddamn! Shit! Fuck! Piss! Banging head against the wall
So, now that people have been heard, when are changes going to be implemented? I feel like a lot of the frustration with new nuke mode comes from how the complaints are heard, but nothing seems to implemented.
Something I've noticed lately: players are basically ignoring Nuke Ops with the logic of "New Nuke is a shit mode, so letting them blow up the station 15 minutes in just means we get to play a real round sooner." I don't really know what to say to that, since obviously banning people for not throwing themselves at the nuke ops isn't a viable answer.
Mageziya Wrote:So, now that people have been heard, when are changes going to be implemented? I feel like a lot of the frustration with new nuke mode comes from how the complaints are heard, but nothing seems to implemented.
Depends on ISN and what his plan for nuke mode is. It's generally considered rude to make substantial changes to another coder's active project unless there's a pressing need.
Grek Wrote:Something I've noticed lately: players are basically ignoring Nuke Ops with the logic of "New Nuke is a shit mode, so letting them blow up the station 15 minutes in just means we get to play a real round sooner." I don't really know what to say to that, since obviously banning people for not throwing themselves at the nuke ops isn't a viable answer.

I've been notice this as well since people have been openly admitting this in OOC and I can't really blame them either since it's no secret that I don't like the new nuke mode all too much anymore that should not be a surprised and it no surprise that this is just another reason for the mode to go though another rework
Regardless of what you think of New Nuke, it's a pretty shitty thing to do. You're not just depriving the Nuke Ops of a fair go at an interesting round, you're depriving the admins of valuable data about balance. It's the same problem as back when people would "win" blob rounds by calling the shuttle as soon as anyone saw a blob tile.
At the risk of sounding like a dumb solution, why not give a post round reward to the crew in exchange for beating the syndicate threat.

"Due to the brave efforts of station x, all crewmembers now get a raise to celebrate the averted destruction of one of our beloved stations."

Instead of just having nerds wait it out, you'll have grey shirts and security fighting for a retirement bonus.
Grek Wrote:Regardless of what you think of New Nuke, it's a pretty shitty thing to do. You're not just depriving the Nuke Ops of a fair go at an interesting round, you're depriving the admins of valuable data about balance. It's the same problem as back when people would "win" blob rounds by calling the shuttle as soon as anyone saw a blob tile.

Not saying I do it cause I jump at the chance to be in a firefight but you can't force people to participate in something they don't like, nor should they be forced to. Changes are coming but until then if some people don't want to throw themselves at the syndies then they don't have to. I don't feel like they are doing anything wrong.