Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
client crashing whenever you go unconscious
Can confirm that I am now getting this issue. I did not use to get this issue.
Sundance Wrote:Byond version: 506.1247
Computer specs: Run of the mill budget laptop:Windows 8.1, Intel core I3-4005U CPU @ 1.70 Ghz, 4.00 gb ram, 64bit operating system
Internet speed: 5mb DL speed, like 0.5-0.6 UL speed on a good day. Works just fine though seen as i'm working off the European server.

I get this lock-up literally everytime some sort of overlay happens.
-Riot smoke
-Being knocked unconscious
-Tripping balls (but this doesn't seem too bad a lock-up, v. minimal)
-Eating anima
-Being half blinded.

First off, your BYOND is old as shit, please update it. Otherwise, this is definitely not a connection issue, this is a client performance issue. See if it:
- still happens with the latest client
- happens with the webclient
I should note that even if i am observing someone as a ghost and they go unconscious i will still crash.
I run an okay laptop with Byond usually updated whenever it yells at me, so it's most likely up to date. It should be noted that I just returned from University for the summer, the internet there was much better, but for some reason the problem did not persist. I'll explain at the end.

Byond: Version 5017.1286
Computer Specs: Win 8.1, Intel Core i7-4700MQ @ 2.40GHz 4 Cores 8 Threads, 16.00 GB of Ram, 64bit OS.
Internet: ~25 Mb DL, ~12 Mb UL @Uni (Where the bug happened), ~9.5 Mb DL, ~5 Mb UL @Home (Where the bug stopped)

As the issue stood, my Byond client will go unresponsive for a couple seconds upon having any kind of overlay, this does NOT include near sightedness or when your vision becomes grainy right before passing out, while near sightedness does give a small bit of a hiccup before going into effect, it comes nothing close to the effect of passing out. Passing out and anima cause the biggest issues for me, when I passed out Byond would often go into "Not Responding" mode, and often only start responding again when I was already standing back up, or when I was dead. This did not always occur however, I had played previously without this being an issue, and then it showed up sometime within the last year.

Now that I am on the crappier internet, this issue is gone. I'm not experiencing it anymore, and no lag/crash effects of either the "Not Responding" or the hiccups from putting on going nearsighted seam to occur anymore. This is on the same laptop with the same Byond version, and the same OS. The only thing that has changed is which internet I'm connected to. Hell, I didn't even restart my laptop in between the switch, so no new Windows Updates or anything were added to the play. Hopefully this information could be of some use, as I'm very relieved to have had to deal with this issue, and helping fix it for others would be rad.
Writing errors across the board, excellent. Regardless, I forgot to mention that this error often varied in length, sometimes it would go unresponsive until a long while after I was already standing, other times it would start responding soon after I had fallen down, and I could see the black overlay. There was never a definite length of time for the issue to occur, however it tended to usually be more towards the "Crash until you stand back up" side of the spectrum.
Baffling. I may need to do some experiments with this.
My byond is up to date and these issue still happen.
Marquesas Wrote:Baffling. I may need to do some experiments with this.

I find that by far the worst offender of this is the riot smoke overlay. Although it doesn't crash my game there is some very noticeable lag when running into it. Just a starting point to look for issues if you need one.

In my limited knowledge of code / computer shit I really think this is due to the computer's hardware, rather than the internet connection. I used to have issues with crashing due to chat (old chat that is) when responding to PMs or selected something to copy, but with a better computer I no longer have these issues. As I said in my earlier post it might be worth it to look at CPU usage and memory usage, as the overlay could be spiking usage, and causing the game to crash. That could account for FishDance's issue, as he may be opening more CPU/Memory intensive processes at home than at school causing the game to crash. I could also be some dumb nerd talking out my ass, who knows!
69andahalf Wrote:Stuff
Nope, I did these in controlled tests wherein I closed absolutely everything but Byond, SS13, and Task Manager. There were no other programs or intensive background processes running.

Also, Marq, if you need any input from me or want me to test anything since I seem to have gotten rid of the error somehow, let me know and I'd be glad to help.
Breaking News Developing... If you're having this issue please update your byond to the latest version and see if it still happens. Breaking News Developing...
Spy_Guy Wrote:Breaking News Developing... If you're having this issue please update your byond to the latest version and see if it still happens. Breaking News Developing...

Like I said mine is up to date and this happens
Been having some pretty bad hiccups for quite some time now whenever I go unconscious or enter a smoke nade field, and my BYOND is up to date as well.

Also my computer isn't a potato.
My computer is pretty fucked and I haven't been having any problems like this. So hardware probably isn't it.
I have updated to the latest version and the crashes are worse if anything
I get crashes on unconciousness sometimes as well.

Latest bond version

AMD 6300FX
R9 270 Sapphire (slightly OC)
8GB 1866mhz RAM
Some Asus mobo