Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mageziya's Irrelevant Sprites
It's the tops, and also the gas meters. Both of those things at the moments are weird approximations, but they're both wrong at the moment.

Problem is that I can't find a way to fix either. I've tried, but nothing looks good.

Edit: Been funking about with the canisters as a way of procrastinating on life. Still looks like trash.
[Image: 3bb57ac160bdb9c5d11f0744e428e151.png]
Possibly one of the stranger sprite that I've made

[Image: 5c92529af1c508dfeb2996ca906a55b0.png]

"The machine harness is an ancient device seemingly wrought of gold and silver. A long forgotten culture crafted many of these for use by high ranking laborers, as it permits for one to commune with machinery when worn. Most of these devices were lost to the tides of time, but a few specimens remain and are highly sought after for their ornate appearance. There is one legend that speaks of a hero who will appear and unify a fractured people while donning such a harness."

Description made on the spot. This harness is actually an attempt to make a humanized version of this harness. This was a very weird game that I played when I was younger that I still absolutely love, and I spontaneously remembered that the harness existed.

This was ultimately an experiment in coloring and shading, while also expressing materials, as  these are all areas that my sprites are really weak on.

I won't ever make a DMI for this, as this really doesn't fit SS13, and the sprite still actually looks pretty meh. The problem was the that the original inspiration was too complicated, but it was a good challange, and came out fairly good for what the original was.
So I finally got to try out the wizard robe I made in game, and after some discussion with people over several rounds, I decided that a hat would go better with the wizard outfit, though I did include an improved hood for anyone who wants to be a hooded-magi fellow.

[Image: JtDY8kA.gif][Image: C9qj1BK.gif]
[Image: b04e20827ecce29f9837870385d6fc86.png]
The hat took heavy references off existing wizard sprites. I would have made it gold-rimmed, but nothing ended up looking good, so I gave it a gold-band instead. Before anyone says that "wait, isn't there already a gold-rimmed wizard hat?" there is, but it uses an old spriting style that doesn't translate well to how I sprite things. On that note, the wizard hats all use short-cuts and weird incongruities in their sprites, because of how much of a pain the wizard hat is to make in the limited space permitted.

The hood is now larger, as to permit more hair-styles to fit inside. The point at the back of it was also removed, because with the given scale, I couldn't make it look good. I'm not sure why I included the point in the original at all, as the original reference images didn't have pointed hoods. An unused orange hoodie sprite I found while digging through DMI's for wizard-hats was a reference I used in the new version of the sprite. The end sprite is a little doofy looking, but that's difficult to avoid.

Also, the new hats look pretty damn fine with the plague masks equiped. (Please add them to the wizard shuttle if they're in).
[Image: sy5iMqY.gif][Image: AlLFM2A.gif]

DMI with all new and changed sprites is attached to this post.

Edit: oh boy, I realized that the bands on the hat didn't line up, so I quickly fixed them.
[Image: e70e65dac9080eb97818e1b82e58224a.png]
Also the DMI never got attached to the post. Whoops, except that it allowed me to fix the hat.

Attached Files
.dmi   GreenRobeFIXEDhats.dmi (Size: 852 bytes / Downloads: 374)
I got bored and decided to start making some jrpg dumb super nebula helmet thingy with pointy bits that work out according to the rule of three.

[Image: 58b06951877b6fc825cb31c56f10478f.png]

I don't really have a reason to finish this at the moment. Also, the shape needs to be slightly changed, with the side bits in the front view either being bulkier, or the side bits in the side view being smaller.

Sorta looks like a wizard hat. I could even adjust the color scheme of this to match the wizard artifacts red-and-gold to make some sort of hyper-grandiose-regal wizard outfit, but at the moment I feel like the game is almost suffering from an over-supply of wizard outfits.
imo the game needs more random doofshit outfits that aren't limited to the wizard, but just scattered around or put in whimsical vendors
(12-01-2016, 07:40 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: imo the game needs more random doofshit outfits that aren't limited to the wizard, but just scattered around or put in whimsical vendors

put a shit ton of those clothes vending machines ( the one from Cog2 crew quarters ) around the station, each with a diffrent showcase of reject clothing
Remember when I said that I wasn't going to finish that helmet sprite?

I lied.

I started making the sprite out of fun as a way to relax, and after something prompting from Shotgunbill on IRC, went and finished the whole sprite set.

[Image: 4614a0d0d1c3820fe5b7bfa836e3375e.png]

Regal, and of questionable functionality and origin. There was going to be a spear/staff to accomodate the set, but I had to drop it due to color-pallet-theme problems, and also due to the cape screwing with the back-sprite. Actually, now that I think about it, the cape is going to screw with a lot of things, unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding how the game handles back-sprites.

Here's also the full sprite sheet:
[Image: VnbQmyd.png]

Finally, the DMI is attached to this post. Enjoy!

Attached Files
.dmi   goldenArmor.dmi (Size: 1.7 KB / Downloads: 341)
Thats pretty fucking rad.
that is amazing holy shit
i want this to be in the game, maybe like for a huge price at a space vendor

"I AM THE KING OF SPACE", says the Captain, who has set an AI law to say whoever has the Space Crown is king of the station, just as he is beaten up and relieved of his crown
(12-03-2016, 07:46 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: "I AM THE KING OF SPACE", says the Captain, who has set an AI law to say whoever has the Space Crown is king of the station, just as he is beaten up and relieved of his crown
This needs to happen at some point. It's a perfect symbol of hubris.
Super cool.

The Space Wizard Federation needs armor for its guards. This will do perfectly.
Maybe we could make it something like the staff of Cthulhu, something wizards can spend points on instead of spells. It would be like a wizard space suit+armor that they can use in place of their robes.
(12-03-2016, 07:46 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote: that is amazing holy shit
i want this to be in the game, maybe like for a huge price at a space vendor

"I AM THE KING OF SPACE", says the Captain, who has set an AI law to say whoever has the Space Crown is king of the station, just as he is beaten up and relieved of his crown 

only it would'int be just king it would be "I AM THE GOD EMPEROR KING PRINCE DUKE BARON MASTER OF ALL THINGS SLAYER OF DRAGONS CONQUEROR OF GALAXIES MAKER OF WORLDS DESTROYER OF WORLDS ALL TIME GRAND CHAMPION OF CHESS SOCCER FOOTBALL HOCKEY TENNIS DODGE BALL BASEBALL SOFTBALL RUGBY BINGO AND SOLITAIRE AND OVERALL MOST AWESOME BEING IN THE UNIVERSE OF SPACE!!!".
(12-10-2016, 09:56 PM)Wraithcraft Wrote: I quite like the idea of cutting the heart out of an ice spider and transplanting it into the clown.
Who knows what would happen?
Although, this would have to wait for organs to be finished.

This quote gave me an idea, though it is a rather terrible idea, and nothing's more terrifying than a terrible idea in a spriter's mind.

Ice spider heart extraction and human implantation!

So I made a bunch of sprites and a relevant infographic!
[Image: lqEqQsY.png]
Ta-daah!

The process begins with the extraction of a heart from an ice spider, bad news is the the only spider large enough to do this with is a queen ice spider!

Whoah! Once you get the heart out, you'll immediately notice two things about it: It's huge and weird looking! There's no way that'd fit in a person or even begin to properly work! (It's based off of an actual spider heart.)

If you think that, then you're right. You gotta trim it down using a scalpel. You're pretty sure that those extra bits and doo-dads aren't useful for anything, right?

After that, you need to make it so that it'll actually work when implanted into a human. That means making sure that all the tubing lines up, and what's the best way to do that? Just use a human function heart! Just sorta, cram it in there while ripping off the redundant parts with your bare hands, yeah! (I was going to only make it work with cyberhearts, but then I decided to let the other hearts work to allow the crew to go full Frankenstein with their heart experiments. Artifact hearts incompatible due to mystery of their function and also not being in the game)

Once everything is in place, staple it all together, along with any remaining holes, and then just transplant it into your lucky victim patient! (The bottom bits on the finished sprite have the dual purpose of logically sealing that part of the heart, and also giving a visual indicator to the difference between the finished heart and the unfinished heart, since having staples be the only difference would be unnecessarily difficult to distinguish at a glance.)

Honestly, due to the massive amount of effort it takes to obtain a functional ice spider heart, it probably should just act as a really good heart, giving a high stamina cap and stamina regen to people. Sort of akin to space-bear arms or wendingo arms.

DMI should be attached, bless any coder willing to touch organ code.

Attached Files
.dmi   iceSpiderHeart.dmi (Size: 1.52 KB / Downloads: 301)
Looks very cool, would it be possible to get Queen Clownspider and maybe Queen Cluwnespider hearts?