Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MaRcUstheDAWG's Useless Sprite Emporium
Errr.... Sprites!

PR-2 Robuddy
[Image: U82xGwt.gif]: My try at a PR-2 Robuddy, dirt included.
[Image: uetbxJm.png]
New sprites for the turret controls, with emagged and power off.
[Image: ioQhexb.png]
Some sort of container machine, maybe? I don't know. :/

[Image: 6dXSaLt.gif]: A redone PR-2 Robuddy, I think I did a MUCH better job on this one. Perhaps it could be my avatar?
I think these are a little to sparse in the colors used when compared to other things in game. It kinda reminds me of the stuff in VR, though.
[Image: VHmGmE6.gif]: This PR-2 Has gone the way of the Hemera Secbuddies, really corrupted. Really.
[Image: eWzKx3h.gif] [Image: YV6SGZ9.png]: The Nanotrasen Defense Computer, controls the fully automated Nanotrasen Defense Grid. It will automatically activate both itself and the corrupted Railbuddies that sit beside it when you enter its core.

[Image: OOktPos.gif] [Image: VEe1ktq.gif]: The Railbuddies are highly experimental PR-3s armed with railguns, they too have gone the way of the Hemera Secbuddies, and will fire their railguns at anything once the Defence Computer becomes active.
Good start, my fellow startup-spriter! Let the throw you some constructive criticism and advice that helped me with my projects!

The basic design is great, it just needs a little bit of shading. Lets take the PR-2 for an example:

When you look at a physical cube, notice how, depending on the light, the sides of the cube may look darker or less illuminated? This is due to the light source positioning.

To mimic this, try stepping down the base color a few shades and fill the area of the light source. Seeing as we are on a station, the best assumption would be from directly above and the front of the cube, with the visible sides being darker, as not as much light is hitting it.

This technique can be used to give an appearance of texture; experiment with your colors, for they are the most powerful tool when working with small graphics!
A4Brogan Wrote:Good start, my fellow startup-spriter! Let the throw you some constructive criticism and advice that helped me with my projects!

The basic design is great, it just needs a little bit of shading. Lets take the PR-2 for an example:

When you look at a physical cube, notice how, depending on the light, the sides of the cube may look darker or less illuminated? This is due to the light source positioning.

To mimic this, try stepping down the base color a few shades and fill the area of the light source. Seeing as we are on a station, the best assumption would be from directly above and the front of the cube, with the visible sides being darker, as not as much light is hitting it.

This technique can be used to give an appearance of texture; experiment with your colors, for they are the most powerful tool when working with small graphics!

[Image: 6dXSaLt.gif]

If you see this, this one's WAAAY better!
Indeed! now, in order to make the shading smoother, think about the placement of the spots of shaded colors; if you make it so that the lighter areas and darker areas have a sharp, sudden change, it will show and feel unnatural. Try making it a gradual change by adding a little bit of one color around the area where the light is hitting directly on the surface, and where the area not in the light begins. You want a smooth shift, which can be hard to do with the pixel size, but when its done right, it's worth it!
I DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYMORE:

Double Emagged Fetchbot:
[Image: OUxoAOB.gif]
[Image: FWvm5fs.gif]
Evil Syndicate Probes of DOOOOOOOOM.*
[Image: Tb56c7o.gif]
[Image: 5AtioX0.png]

*any reference to ratchet & clanks's hypersonic brainwave scrambler currently pending
something thats not a robot for once

station needs MORE COWBELL

[Image: QJQOpuJ.png]

*clonk clonk clong*
AI turret control: the Redux

[Image: J9AIVlM.png]
[Image: sbKgahV.gif]
[Image: OlGXk7K.gif]
[Image: e0yxHw3.gif]
[Image: mWvMMwl.gif]
PICTURE FRAME: An adorable little picture frame to hang up on your wall.
[Image: V1xVvjK.png]

TUNNELER: I have no idea, actually, some kind of mining tool?
[Image: mOVp3dl.gif]
Made the tunneler less phallic looking

[Image: GlBk36I.gif]