Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Revamp! (Very WIP Rough Draft)
UrsulaMejor Wrote:If you don't like that this suggestion is semi-realistic then make an alternate suggestion that's more to your taste, and go scream that we should remove hats because they go on your head or something.

I already did that, I just don't think a hunger system is the way to go when trying to make food have a purpose. Also if someone disagrees with you I don't think you should brush it off as a "meme" and regardless on opinions on "perceived server identity" Goon/LLJK has always had a freedom of choice play-style, I like this idea expect the part about making it a hunger system.
Ed Venture Wrote:
UrsulaMejor Wrote:If you don't like that this suggestion is semi-realistic then make an alternate suggestion that's more to your taste, and go scream that we should remove hats because they go on your head or something.

I already did that, I just don't think a hunger system is the way to go when trying to make food have a purpose. Also if someone disagrees with you I don't think you should brush it off as a "meme" and regardless on opinions on "perceived server identity" Goon/LLJK has always had a freedom of choice play-style, I like this idea expect the part about making it a hunger system.
I think rejecting an idea simply because it's tangentially close to a roleplay system is silly. I'll brush it off all day every day.

The favorite food system was a cool suggestion, but i think that rewarding the creation of specific foods isn't the way to go. Maybe certain classes of favorite foods or something, but everything that could be said about that system has already been discussed. Mozi even coded it already and it wasn't implemented. Maybe someone should bump that thread?

Regardless, I don't see the problem with a hunger system. We have a stamina system, we have a blood system, we have an atmos system, we have a reagent system, why not a hunger system? I don't see the reason for rejecting it when we already have so many other "roleplay" systems.
UrsulaMejor Wrote:I think rejecting an idea simply because it's tangentially close to a roleplay system is silly. I'll brush it off all day every day.
At least try to use better words then "meme" cause it's silly. At least I went in and made my own suggestion towards the idea.

UrsulaMejor Wrote:Regardless, I don't see the problem with a hunger system. We have a stamina system, we have a blood system, we have an atmos system, we have a reagent system, why not a hunger system? I don't see the reason for rejecting it when we already have so many other "roleplay" systems.

Because those systems did not force players to stop what they were doing to do something that they don't want to do. Also you should atleast try and understand why some of the playerbase does not like RP elements. I do like RP elements if they are small enough, but if they make you go out of your way to do something boring (for example eating food for no other reason then the game told me to) If you want to bring in a hunger system then start with baby-steps make food give positive and negative bonuses and build up from there. Accept that some people are not going to like this idea, listen to what they say cause they have valid points. Both negative and positive comments should be seen as feedback, not as a attack on your ideas.
ergh, sorry. I spent all night troubleshooting a broken computer and all day trying to fix my dad's broken car so i'm feelin' agitated and sassy. I'll take another look at your suggestions tomorrow
I think Ursla's is too complicated and Sundance's is too simple. Instead, add the following nutritional chemicals...

Each of these has a decay of 0.1 and decays into 2 units of other stuff each life cycle.
Protein: 30% iron, 30% salt, 20% cholesterol, 20% charcoal.
Carbs: 30% salt, 30% sugar, 30% carbon, 10% space fungus.
Dairy: 50% simethicone, 20% sugar, 20% ammonium bicarbonate, 10% cholesterol.
Vitamins: 30% water. 30% hydrogen, 30% potassium, 10% iodine.

...alter these chemicals...

Bread: Rapidly decays into 100% carbs in bloodstream.
Egg: Slowly decays into 50% protein and 50% water in bloodstream.
Iron: Now promotes blood regeneration!
Milk: Now decays into 10% dairy, 90% water in bloodstream.
Potassium: The presence of blood now prevents the potassium+water reaction from happening.
Salt: Decay rate is now 0.1. On ingesting, deplete 4 units of water.
Water: Overdose at 300 units of 10% for 1 brain damage per life cycle.

...then add nutritional chemicals to food, on top of what they already have in them. Nutritional content is preserved across processing and cooking unless specified otherwise:

Most meats: 10 protein, 1 cholesterol.
Most fruits: 5 sugar, 5 water, 5 vitamins
Most vegetables: 10 vitamins, 5 water.
Most herbs: 5 vitamins

Fish: 10 protein.
Wheat: 15 carbs.
Peanuts: 5 carbs, 5 protein.
Cheese: 5 dairy per slice.
Avocado: 1 protein, 5 vitamins.
Bread: 1 bread per slice.
Fried anything: 1 cholesterol, 5 salt.
Potatoes: 10 carbs, 1 vitamins.
Corn: 5 corn starch, 1 vitamins.
Brains: 5 prions, 5 protein.
Butts: 5 protein.
Limbs: 10 protein.
Heart: 5 protein.
Synthparts: Replace all protein with vitamins.
Cyberparts: Replace all protein with iron.
Chocolate: 2 sugar.
Oatmeal: 5 carbs.

And finally change following reactions to display no third person reaction message and an altered first person message when mixing inside the blood stream:
Antihol: You feel more sober.
Carpet: Your mouth feels like carpet.
Mannitol: You feel refreshed.
Napalm: You like you're going to burst!
Oil: You feel greasy.
Potassium-Iodine: You feel healthy.
Saline-Glucose: Yum!
Smoke: You feel gassy.
Spaceacillin: You feel well.
A revamp isnt what is need. Because rounds last on average 40-60 mins, hunger systems don't work. It's difficult enough as it is to get worthwhile things done in this time without worrying about hunger.

What there should be is more reagents unique to cooked foods.
Currently most food does relatively nothing.

the contents of food when extracted should resemble discount dans in the amount of reagents.

Anybody who actually cooks knows that Cooking IS chemistry.

With doctoring and chemistry, Most often most people will use one chem at a time.

With cooking the focus should be on creating reagent blends. The more variety, the better.

The most useful comparrison would be of herbal remedies to pharmaceutical drugs.

To this effect, there should be a herbs and soup update.
salix_catus Wrote:What there should be is more reagents unique to cooked foods.
Currently most food does relatively nothing.
From the old thread
Sundance Wrote:The first way is through chemicals, as in the favorite food would release a certain type of chem into the blood stream.

I like this idea. Reagents that are more generated from actions rather than from substances.

For instance, let's say people have favorite foods, and it's their favorite because that's what their mom's made them when they were young. They eat their favorite food, and then their body produces a unique reagent like "Nostalgia"

This would also open it up other unique reagents like "Fear" and mad science shenanigans like harvesting it from people and bottling it for sale, but that's a tale for another thread.

salix_catus Wrote:With cooking the focus should be on creating reagent blends. The more variety, the better.

The most useful comparrison would be of herbal remedies to pharmaceutical drugs.

To this effect, there should be a herbs and soup update.
I also agree that this should be a thing. Basically, the closer to Earthbound's food system we get, the happier I'll be.
going with the reagent thing, what if the randomized character profile Cogwerks suggested came with a "flavor profile" for each crewman with favorite foods, preferred foods, guilty pleasures, hated foods, foods you simply refuse to eat willingly, etc.

and each class would produce different food chems
UrsulaMejor Wrote:going with the reagent thing, what if the randomized character profile Cogwerks suggested came with a "flavor profile" for each crewman with favorite foods, preferred foods, guilty pleasures, hated foods, foods you simply refuse to eat willingly, etc.

Ah nice idea. on this note, allergies could be fun. RNG could really screw you over if you didn't bother looking at your medical history.
salix_catus Wrote:
UrsulaMejor Wrote:going with the reagent thing, what if the randomized character profile Cogwerks suggested came with a "flavor profile" for each crewman with favorite foods, preferred foods, guilty pleasures, hated foods, foods you simply refuse to eat willingly, etc.

Ah nice idea. on this note, allergies could be fun. RNG could really screw you over if you didn't bother looking at your medical history.
Ooh, allergies would be interesting. Would open up a whole new method of poisoning that takes a little digging through the medical records.
Maybe even add some new medical chems that are functionally the same as others, but have to be used in case the person has an allergy to the other.

I suppose if you start with an allergy though, you should have an epi-pen on you at start, and have what your allergic to in your notes.

This combined with sack lunches would cool. If you just got stuff from random categories, it would be cute to see the crew trading their lunches.