Goonstation Forums
Food Revamp! (Very WIP Rough Draft) - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Food Revamp! (Very WIP Rough Draft) (/showthread.php?tid=4721)

Pages: 1 2 3

Food Revamp! (Very WIP Rough Draft) - UrsulaMejor - 05-05-2015

--Disclaimer: All numbers and concepts below are rough-draft. These do not represent a suggestion to be implemented as written. This is being posted to test public opinion and get more suggestions for how it might work.

FOOD REVAMP!!!

1) Overview
2) The Nutrients
3) Possibilities For The Future!

OVERVIEW

The purpose of this suggestion is to provide a job and purpose to botany, the chef, and the barman beyond killing yourself and making deathpies. The general idea of this implementation is that the average player should see minimal effect if they decide not to eat healthy food; the average player should be able to get by simply by eating snacks and soda from a vending machine every 20 minutes.

The abilities from the optional nutrients (Protein, Vitamins, and Minerals) are balanced by the need to not overdose on Calories and the diminishing returns they get.

All numbers are placeholders, actual implementation will require a shitton of tweaking in order to balance it. When judging this system, try to pretend like the system is internally balanced through assignment of caloric and nutritional values to food.

NUTRIENTS

Calories, from all food
- The basic nutrient. Calories start at 1000 at the beginning of the shift and slowly go down.
- Stamina regen drains calories very slowly -- should be unnoticeable if not constantly fighting
- At 500, your stomach will grumble. This happens after 20 minutes of non-strenuous work.
- When your stomach is grumbling, you will crave food and occasionally clutch your stomach
- At 0, your stomach will be in severe pain and unable to regenerate stamina normally
- At 1500 you are satiated. Food starts having less effect and you eat slower.
- When satiated, stamina regen is slightly faster.
- At 2000, you are full. Food no longer has nutritional effect other than Calories.
- At 3000, you become fat. Stamina regen is slowed, body temp increases, and you are at higher risk of heart disease.

Sugars/Carbs, from fruits and snacks and some sweet vegetables
- The next basic nutrient. Sugar starts at 300 and slowly decays.
- At 200 sugar, maximum run speed goes down. This happens at around the 20 minute mark,
- At 100 sugar, maximum run speed goes down again. This happens at the 40 minute mark.
- At 0 sugar, maximum run speed goes down to a walk. This happens at the 60 minute mark.
- At 400 sugar, maximum run speed goes up.
- At 500 sugar, maximum run speed goes up again.
- At 600 sugar, maximum run speed goes up again, and you're at risk of getting Diabetes.
- At 700 sugar, you go into hyperglycemic shock immediately.

Water, from water, soda, etc.
- The last basic nutrient, Water starts at 500 and slowly decays
- Water is linked to blood regeneration the same way calories are linked to stamina regeneration
- At 300 water, you get cottonmouth and feel thirsty as a warning sign
- At 150 water, blood regeneration goes down
- At 0 water, you no longer regenerate blood
- at 600 water, blood regeneration speed is slightly increased
- at 700 water, you feel bloated as a warning sign
- at 800 water, you start getting headaches and need to pee badly
- at 900 water, your blood water levels get so high you asphyxiate and drown.

Protein, from meats
- Protein levels start at 300 and slowly decay.
- At 200 protein, maximum stamina goes down. (40 Minute Mark)
- At 100 protein, maximum stamina goes down again (80 minutes mark)
- At 0 protein, maximum stamina is ~20 or whatever is a small number. (120 minutes mark)
- At 300 protein, maximum stamina goes up
- At 400 Protein, Maximum stamina goes up slightly less than before, say half the rate
- At 500 Protein, Maximum stamina goes up 1/4 the first boost
- etc, you can't overdose on protein but eventually it becomes relatively worthless to keep eating it

Vitamins, from fruits and vegetables
- Vitamin levels start at 0 and slowly decay as they rise
- Vitamins are linked to Health Regeneration in a way unlike Water and Calories:
- At 0, health regeneration is as it is currently (None)
- at 100, health regenerates at 1 damage of your greatest type per tick. If health is regenerated, vitamin decay is doubled
- at 200, health regeneration is at 2 damage of your greatest type per tick. If health is regenerated, vitamin decay is quadrupled
- at 300, health regeneration is at 3 damage of greatest type per tick. If health is regenerated, vitamin decay is octupled
- etc

Minerals, from fruits and vegetables and certain salty foods
- Mineral levels start at 300 and slowly decay.
- Mineral levels are linked to maximum HP the same way proteins are linked to maximum stamina

POSSIBILITIES FOR THE FUTURE

[01:57:55] <Haine> I like it generally, I think having it be possibly an inter-round thing COULD be interesting

Possible cross-round preservation of Nutrients?

Re: Food Revamp! (Very WIP Rough Draft) - Roomba - 05-05-2015

Absolutely no on the inter-round thing, the rest of it sounds okay though

Re: Food Revamp! (Very WIP Rough Draft) - medsal15 - 05-05-2015

RIP monkeys and syndies.

Re: Food Revamp! (Very WIP Rough Draft) - Frank_Stein - 05-05-2015

Eh, I'm not too crazy on really bad shit happening to you if you neglect these things or overdo them.

Like, I notice you can die from too much water. I know that's a thing that can really happen to people, but in game it makes water an easily accessible and infinitely available poison. Just handcuff someone and keep pouring water in them until they die.

There was talk in the past of having food and cocktails give little boosts based on nutritional content and quality of the ingredients.

Personally, I think rewarding players is better motivation for experimenting with food and drink than punishment.

Re: Food Revamp! (Very WIP Rough Draft) - Kaet - 05-05-2015

Frank_Stein Wrote:Personally, I think rewarding players is better motivation for experimenting with food and drink than punishment.
Some people like fucking themselves up in a variety of dumb ways. Finding a new way to die or get disabled is a reward in and of itself.

Kaet Wrote:
Frank_Stein Wrote:Personally, I think rewarding players is better motivation for experimenting with food and drink than punishment.
Some people like fucking themselves up in a variety of dumb ways. Finding a new way to die or get disabled is a reward in and of itself.
That's a fair point. I did spend my last round removing my own heart.

I guess it just needs to be balanced in a way that it's not irritating to manage, nor overly exploitable. I don't want to keel over from someone making a chemthrower filled with water.

Re: Food Revamp! (Very WIP Rough Draft) - UrsulaMejor - 05-05-2015

Frank_Stein Wrote:
Kaet Wrote:
That's a fair point. I did spend my last round removing my own heart.

I guess it just needs to be balanced in a way that it's not irritating to manage, nor overly exploitable. I don't want to keel over from someone making a chemthrower filled with water.
why not just pee it out you loon

Re: Food Revamp! (Very WIP Rough Draft) - Sundance - 05-05-2015

Yeah I agree with frank.
But I also agree with urs in that food and drink should have an effect on your average round.

I don't think there needs to be several different requirements as suggested in the OP. I think the OP is a little too complex. I think there should only be 3. Hunger, nutrient and thirst.
Hunger and nutrients go hand in hand. For example a pack of crisps may satisfy hunger, but has low nutrient value. While a salad will satisfy nutrient value but will not hunger. Sugar is already present in various junk food so it also goes hand in hand with nutrient value, i.e: Something that has low nutrient value is likely full of sugar. To break it down, and using idea's from urs here's what it could do:

Quote:Calories, from all food
- The basic nutrient. Calories start at 1000 at the beginning of the shift and slowly go down.
- Stamina regen drains calories very slowly -- should be unnoticeable if not constantly fighting
- At 500, your stomach will grumble. This happens after 20 minutes of non-strenuous work.
- When your stomach is grumbling, you will crave food and occasionally clutch your stomach
- At 0, your stomach will be in severe pain and unable to regenerate stamina normally
- At 1500 you are satiated. Food starts having less effect and you eat slower.
- When satiated, stamina regen is slightly faster.
- At 2000, you are full. Food no longer has nutritional effect other than Calories.
- At 3000, you become fat. Stamina regen is slowed, body temp increases, and you are at higher risk of heart disease.
This is essentially Hunger. Replace Calorie with Hunger and this is good idea. It rewards the player for eating and has incentive for doing so. 15 minutes the grumbling will begin, and at 25 minutes the grumbling is regular and becomes audible. At 0 hunger the severe pain will cause the person to clutch their stomach, dropping items and the improper stamina regen. Now I can imagine people will grump about this, but this is literally cured by going to a vending machine and it happens after 30 minutes or so. It's not rocket science.

For Nutrient combine the effects of both Mineral and Vitamins. A healthy meal will give a passive (albeit very passive) health regen as suggested. It will increase the max stamina to a noticeable effect and max health to a minor effect, depending on the level of nutrients. Eating healthy food will reduce toxins in the body similar to charcoal but to a minor effect. Both sugar and alcohol are considered poisons in this case. Nutrients is NOT required like hunger, you will not have any negative effects from not eating nutrients. But if you have a healthy and hearty meal you get the pro's of having a full stomach + the pros of nutrients, so why the hell would you NOT eat it? (amanitin perhaps).

Leave Sugar as it is, a chemical. Sugar as of now acts as a mild stimulant, causes people to convulse and people can overdose on it, where insulin is required. It's also present in a lot of unhealthy foods. It's fine as it is. I do however believe space diabetes should be a thing.

Personally Protein should be similar to Nutrients in that it's not a requirement, but instead let Protein be a chemical. This chemical is present in various food such as eggs, meats, diary, etc, in various quantities. It's also present in DISCOUNT DAN PROTEIN PROGAINZ ™ which has a significant amount of protein but also a shit-ton of sugar.
Eating protein on its own has no effect whatsoever. However if you workout it will increase the protein decay but will also increase your strength.
This has 3 tiers of strength. Tier zero is your average person. Tier 1 is fit, greater stamina regen and you run slightly faster. Tier 2 is buff. You're heavy handed, you have greater chance to have an aggressive grab. Tier 3 is a permanent hulk mutation. For times, it would take roughly 25 minutes of constant working out and taking protein to get you to this level. OHHH YEAHH.

And lastly, Thirst. I think any form of liquid drank will help with thrist, unlike in the sims mode where some drinks potentially dehydrate you.
I like the ideas of urs and have nothing to add other than working out will increase the depletion rate of thirst. I also think if there are any liquids in the system you will need to piss. And pissing on the ground will lead to you getting arrested by beepsky.

Sundance's idea is probably better than mine from an implementation standpoint, but I do feel like the complexity of my system has some merit in that it's very ss13/dwarffort-y

when I rewrite this all it'll probably be based more around Sundance's method of combining nutrient

Re: Food Revamp! (Very WIP Rough Draft) - Ali0en - 05-05-2015

I'd rather not have food and drink needs. If I want that I play Rimworld or on an RP server.

Re: Food Revamp! (Very WIP Rough Draft) - APARTHEID - 05-05-2015

Frank_Stein Wrote:Like, I notice you can die from too much water. I know that's a thing that can really happen to people, but in game it makes water an easily accessible and infinitely available poison. Just handcuff someone and keep pouring water in them until they die.

a feature and a blessing and something that needs implementing

Yeah, yeah I like the simplfied version, though maybe there should be some more secret vitamin chems like protein, to encourage messing around.

-Vitamin C for boosting pathogen resistance.
-Iron for reducing bloodloss
-Fiber for louder farts.

Also, cooking should have some effect on all of this.

Ali0en Wrote:I'd rather not have food and drink needs. If I want that I play Rimworld or on an RP server.
chips and a drink cost $7 so availability isn't an issue. it takes 40'minutes for you to notice an appreciable effect and that's 60-80'minutes if you eat at round start. shove a cake into your pie-hole v at round start and occasionally sip a soda (or just don't bleed) and you'll notice no changes. I don't really want this idea getting shot down because people are too lazy to go to a vending machine once a round rather than it's merit or lack thereof

APARTHEID Wrote:
Frank_Stein Wrote:Like, I notice you can die from too much water. I know that's a thing that can really happen to people, but in game it makes water an easily accessible and infinitely available poison. Just handcuff someone and keep pouring water in them until they die.

I can just imagine Sec setting up on off station interrogation site for waterboarding.

Frank_Stein Wrote:
APARTHEID Wrote:

I can just imagine Sec setting up on off station interrogation site for waterboarding.
*vigorously pisses himself to avoid dying*