Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tone down the hyper-aggressive monkey ai
Berrik Wrote:If you're really having trouble with a particular monkey just hand it a Russian Revolver and watch the problem solve itself.

If this works it is the greatest thing ever
Dr_Bee Wrote:
Berrik Wrote:If you're really having trouble with a particular monkey just hand it a Russian Revolver and watch the problem solve itself.

Oh my god does it?

Also the only problem I've found is maybe that they're too aggressive against grabs and they will ALWAYS try to pickpocket you.
Dr_Bee Wrote:

Yes. It's one of the first things I did.
This is incidentally my all-time favourite use of rajaijah.
One russian revolver was how I solved the entire special invasion of '13. It's a godsend.
Sundance Wrote:I like the new monkey AI, but if you're going to "tone down" the monkey ai, please consider that there was a popular thread not too long ago suggesting that monkeys have ai similar to what was implemented. Essentially, lets not be too hasty here.

I think people are kinda going through a phase at the moment. "oh look, aggressive ai, lets piss them off!". And it literally results in a stationwide purge of all the monkeys, borgs especially as they can do so without repercussion. That and it's fairly funny watching monkey beat themselves to death as they hit your metal posterior. That is until they pick up something off the ground, then it suddenly becomes alarming

So monkey AI seems to this, from my observations. It's quite complex, borrowing ai from raj, compliments to whoever coded it:

1. Monkeys will attempt to pickpocket you. I love this.
2. On intent: Help - nothing, Disarm/push - attack, grab - nothing (unless choked, will provoke), punch - attack
3. On pushing and punching, it seems chance orientated, but i'm not certain*. So monkeys may not attack if pushed or punch the first time.
4. Same as above for hitting with an object or shooting or acid spitting (fuck yes on the last one)
5. *my uncertainty comes from the fact that all monkeys will attack if another monkey is hurt. So it may be chance orientated, or tolerance of the group or both.
6. Monkeys will pick up objects off the ground and use it against you. They will also throw objects. This can be lethal if a monkey gets his hands on the medical stapler.

Anything i'm missing?
Yeah I think people need to adjust to the New Reality, let's not go back and forth so hastily on what we want. The new monkey AI is funny and reminds me of System Shock 2 and that's a good thing in my book! I guess you can't just beat up and stab passive monkeys anymore and people will have to change their tack on the role of the critters on the station. It's nice that they are getting more of a personality, it makes the station feel more alive in general.
Monkeys can attack when put in Genetic scanners.

Pulled monkey through surgery to Genetics, monkey picks up scalpel while doing this.
Grab to put monkey in scanner and I get slashed once, knocked to the ground and then slashed 4 more times.

Once put in the scanner he began to break all the windows out into space from within the scanner.

This really needs to be toned down now.
maybe just give handcuffs to departments that deal with monkeys. that way you at least get some time where they are disabled. until they break out of the cuffs that is.
Eh, they really shouldn't be able to break glass once in a pod. That sounds more like a bug than a problem with the AI.

You know what would be nice though is some new tools in the monkey pen.
The straight jacket is the only currently readily available tool for them, since electropacks are slow and handcuffs involves some negotiating with Sec.

Maybe some of those poles with little cable nooses on the end?
MONKEY NETS!

MONKEY BUCKETS!

THINGS TO QUICKLY NAB MONKEYS INTO!

...Monkey... MONKEY BAGS!
Coincidentally one of my favourite all time game series.

Ape Escape. Big monkey nets.

[Image: ape_escape_3_by_ape_escape_lover.png]
with the new monkey AI we need to have ape escape helmets to show if they are aggressive or not. also to make them look silly.
Sundance idea, praise it. Fucking genius.
Replace monkeys with chimps/gorillas, please. Now they should be able to throw you around like a rag doll and rip your limbs off. Pull out all the stops. Make people fear the simian threat.
Valorian Wrote:Replace monkeys with chimps/gorillas, please. Now they should be able to throw you around like a rag doll and rip your limbs off. Pull out all the stops. Make people fear the simian threat.
If a monkey got hulk and turned into a gorilla that would be the best.

To add to Sundance's thing, which is great, I think monkey training could be a neat thing. Use positive and negative reinforcement to bend monkeys to your will. Give them a treat after they do something to increase the likelihood of them doing that, or damage them to decrease the likelihood of that happening.
Train them to have a Pavlovian response to the harmonica/saxophone/farts. Reward them for hitting buttons so they'll hit all the buttons. Monkey operated mechanics constructions.