Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tone down the hyper-aggressive monkey ai
it's like when you accidentally hit a bee but worse
Tone down? How? Make it a three level thing. Hit or grab them once and they leap away. Twice and they leap away but now are pissed off. Three times and they retaliate.
I think it would be helpful if it only triggered on direct attacks, or at the very least didn't trigger on grab. Also if other monkeys didn't immediately team up. It makes it hard to do genetics/science/cooking because when you grab a monkey to do anything, they start hitting back, and then all the other monkeys team up with it and then you've got an angry monkey mob bashing your brains in.

Also they could stand to be a little less pickpockety.
It sort of makes sense, considering the crew that tamed them were rabid themselves.

It's also incredibly annoying!
Bananas and other foods should help pacify them
Frank_Stein Wrote:Bananas and other foods should help pacify them
Ah this! chuck a banana on the ground and the monkeys go crazy for it.
On that note I feel like a traitor item that lets you command monkeys/other mobs might be funny.

Turn that agressiveness and animal evil into a weapon.

I've yet to see monkeys be ultra dangerous for myself, but I've seen birds pick up forks and stuff.
Let's be fair. All monkeys are humans and vice versa, and the genetics machine proves it. Also clones.

The monkeys are just reacting the same way players do when you fuck with them.
Berrik Wrote:Let's be fair. All monkeys are humans and vice versa, and the genetics machine proves it. Also clones.

The monkeys are just reacting the same way players do when you fuck with them.

Okay this just makes far too much sense. Haha. big grin

I kind of enjoy that monkeys are aggressive now. They're not super difficult to deal with, you just can't beat them without consequence.
Can't speak to monkey aggression but they can't really be buckled in anymore, which makes using them as pathology subjects a bit annoying.
Does this mean there is finally another use for straight jackets?
I like the new monkey AI, but if you're going to "tone down" the monkey ai, please consider that there was a popular thread not too long ago suggesting that monkeys have ai similar to what was implemented. Essentially, lets not be too hasty here.

I think people are kinda going through a phase at the moment. "oh look, aggressive ai, lets piss them off!". And it literally results in a stationwide purge of all the monkeys, borgs especially as they can do so without repercussion. That and it's fairly funny watching monkey beat themselves to death as they hit your metal posterior. That is until they pick up something off the ground, then it suddenly becomes alarming

So monkey AI seems to this, from my observations. It's quite complex, borrowing ai from raj, compliments to whoever coded it:

1. Monkeys will attempt to pickpocket you. I love this.
2. On intent: Help - nothing, Disarm/push - attack, grab - nothing (unless choked, will provoke), punch - attack
3. On pushing and punching, it seems chance orientated, but i'm not certain*. So monkeys may not attack if pushed or punch the first time.
4. Same as above for hitting with an object or shooting or acid spitting (fuck yes on the last one)
5. *my uncertainty comes from the fact that all monkeys will attack if another monkey is hurt. So it may be chance orientated, or tolerance of the group or both.
6. Monkeys will pick up objects off the ground and use it against you. They will also throw objects. This can be lethal if a monkey gets his hands on the medical stapler.

Anything i'm missing?
My suggestion is randomize the monkey ai per monkey and have varying forms of aggression.

Neutral
Monkeys as currently are. Will attack if provoked. Will back up monkeys.

Apathetic
Will attack if provoked. Will not back up monkeys.

Frightened
Will flea if attacked, and will counter-attack if player continues his assault. Will back up monkeys.

Cowardice
Will flea if attacked. Will not back up monkeys.

Smart
Will attack if provoked. Will flea if on low health. Will not back up monkeys.

Aggressive
Will make warning signs to player by chattering its teeth or hunching its back. Will attack even on help intent. Will back up other monkeys. Avoid this monkey. Bad monkey.

This way, it's not going to end in your ass being swarmed by monkeys, and people wont feel the need to eradicate their ape heritage every round.
Depressed:
Will not help other monkeys. Will not flee or fight back. if attacked, they just curl up and sob
If you're really having trouble with a particular monkey just hand it a Russian Revolver and watch the problem solve itself.